Author Topic: P.I. audio group Modified P&S 5362A receptacle journey...  (Read 14910 times)

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: P.I. audio group Modified P&S 5362A receptacle journey...
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
I finally got the Uber Puerto ...the one with the magic flooby dust...installed today. This is the outlet that feeds the Uber that everything is plugged into. I could tell two things immediately:
1) it resolves better (to paraphrase Lady Macbeth ... out, damned noise!, out I say!)
2) the tonality on instruments is enhanced

Now the especially fun part is this was on an old album with mediocre recording quality.
I therefore listened to more old albums and continued to enjoy the newly revealed and nicely enhanced presentation. I’m thrilled, but not surprised, as many of you know how wonderful Dave’s products are. I’ll keep enjoying the breakin process.

I would like to have those latest receptacles added to my Uber. Also, as to the issue of polished electrical connectors, are there power cords that have the male end polished/treated as well as the iec parts? I haven’t researched this at all.
Nick
Hi, Nick.  Been out of the loop since we left for our loooong Christmas holiday with the Clan.

Adding them to the Uber is really simple.  I can get some out to you when we return early January, or you can send the Uber to me for the install.  Whatever works for you.

Most aftermarket power cables have highly polished, plated contacts.  I polish the blades and receivers on Wattgates when I use them.  Polishing does go quite a way to get to low noise as a goal.  Polishing pins on tubes is a good thing, too.  Polishing tube pins is easiest with really fine sandpaper grits using a fixture to hold the tube.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2019, 11:39:11 PM »
I finally got the Uber Puerto ...the one with the magic flooby dust...installed today. This is the outlet that feeds the Uber that everything is plugged into. I could tell two things immediately:
1) it resolves better (to paraphrase Lady Macbeth ... out, damned noise!, out I say!)
2) the tonality on instruments is enhanced

Now the especially fun part is this was on an old album with mediocre recording quality.
I therefore listened to more old albums and continued to enjoy the newly revealed and nicely enhanced presentation. I’m thrilled, but not surprised, as many of you know how wonderful Dave’s products are. I’ll keep enjoying the breakin process.

I would like to have those latest receptacles added to my Uber. Also, as to the issue of polished electrical connectors, are there power cords that have the male end polished/treated as well as the iec parts? I haven’t researched this at all.
Nick
Hi, Nick.  Been out of the loop since we left for our loooong Christmas holiday with the Clan.

Adding them to the Uber is really simple.  I can get some out to you when we return early January, or you can send the Uber to me for the install.  Whatever works for you.

Most aftermarket power cables have highly polished, plated contacts.  I polish the blades and receivers on Wattgates when I use them.  Polishing does go quite a way to get to low noise as a goal.  Polishing pins on tubes is a good thing, too.  Polishing tube pins is easiest with really fine sandpaper grits using a fixture to hold the tube.

Hi Dave,
I was going to email you earlier tonight about this very subject. But I was having too much fun listening 🎶🎶 Heck, if it’s that easy, I’ll just install them. I’ll send you a reminder email in the new year. I don’t really know why tonight’s listening was extra special, but I’ll take it!
Hope Hawaii was a great time. Assume you might be in Oregon by now. I’m heading to So Cal in the morning. Christmas greeting and blessings
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »
Having time with the Clan is wonderful!

We are all back in Portland and the mirth and frivolity prevails!!!  Our family is centered in humor and it Is our grandchildren that are all in the same place in the life book humor page!  I can’t remember a time when we have all laughed as a family as this trip.  It is the grandchildren that lead to way in humor!  Damn, to be 20-ish again... but only if my lovely wife Gayle could make that same trip!  Oh, wait: she’s here with me now!   :thumb:

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
Having time with the Clan is wonderful!

We are all back in Portland and the mirth and frivolity prevails!!!  Our family is centered in humor and it Is our grandchildren that are all in the same place in the life book humor page!  I can’t remember a time when we have all laughed as a family as this trip.  It is the grandchildren that lead to way in humor!  Damn, to be 20-ish again... but only if my lovely wife Gayle could make that same trip!  Oh, wait: she’s here with me now!   :thumb:

:thumb: :lol:
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline dflee

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »
Dave:
You are the best.
Only thing that can beat you would be a family of yous.
Merry Christmas to you and all those around you for you
and Gayle are the core of all that greatness you have around you.
Enjoy dear friend.

Will be talkin with you after the season about a better receptacle than whit I got.
The cord is the best Iv'e ever had.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline dBe

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »
Dave:
You are the best.
Only thing that can beat you would be a family of yous.
Merry Christmas to you and all those around you for you
and Gayle are the core of all that greatness you have around you.
Enjoy dear friend.

Will be talkin with you after the season about a better receptacle than whit I got.
The cord is the best Iv'e ever had.

Don
Wow!  Thanks, Nit.  Very nice words from a good friend.

When we get back home to Albuquerque I’ll hook you up.  I am Extremely pleased with just how good the UberPuerto is.  Like Emeril says: “Somtimes I even amaze myself!”

:thumb:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:01:16 PM by dBe »

Offline dBe

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »
I installed one of the UberPuertos in the wall that supplies the office computer, printers, etc.  Even though the listening room and office are 40' apart in our home the additional RFI mitigitation is noticeable in musical reproduction.  Not a big difference, but worthwhile.  Well recorded music sounds just a little more relaxed in presentation, but not restrained in dynamics.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:23 PM »
This afternoon, I installed the new Uber Puertos in my UberBUSS. As Dave had said, it wasn’t complicated, but it took me a fair amount of time to do it. Lots of wires in a relatively small space....
Played a few new tunes, then one of my reference songs.... Come Away With Me by Norah Jones. A couple of things were immediately noticeable:
1) the noise floor was further reduced, which allowed me to hear much more of the decay on the cymbals and bass guitar
2) the sound was more natural, more organic
For lack of a better description, the music hung in the air more. It wasn’t nearly as truncated. It’s beautiful and more captivating.
I’m so glad I spent the money. This allows the components to perform at a very high level. The next step is to try some new power cords. All the cabling I currently have is unshielded, so I’ll be curious if there’ll be an improvement.
If you’re on the fence as to trying these Uber Puertos, you have nothing to gain but much improved sound!
I’m as pleased with these as I was getting the Fritz Carreras  :thumb: :thumb:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:31:03 AM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:07 PM »
This afternoon, I installed the new Uber Puertos in my UberBUSS. As Dave had said, it wasn’t complicated, but it took me a fair amount of time to do it. Lots of wires in a relatively small space....
Played a few new tunes, then one of my reference songs.... Come Away With Me by Norah Jones. A couple of things were immediately noticeable:
1) the noise floor was further reduced, which allowed me to hear much more of the decay on the cymbals and bass guitar
For lack of a better description, the music hung in the air more. It wasn’t nearly as truncated. It’s beautiful and more captivating.
I’m so glad I spent the money. This allows the components to perform at a very high level. The next step is to try some new power cords. All the cabling I currently have is unshielded, so I’ll be curious if there’ll be an improvement.
If you’re on the fence as to trying these Uber Peurtos, you have nothing to gain but much improved sound!
Nick,  great to see this.

I have to admit that I am amazed at the potential that lives I. Much of what we use day to day.  Granted, the 5362A is not a widely available receptacle.  It IS a tremendous value over the runof the mill receptacle that is in our homes.

Let me back up.  To even think that a receptacle replacement can make an unexpected and positive SQ change kind of boggles me olde mind.  Bottom line is that receptacles sound different.  Some just sound better than others.  Take the Furutech NCF.  It is astonishing in performance: quiet, detailed, clean and pristine = $280.00.

Okay...

The P&S5362A always sounded great to me... the best out of the 20 or so receptacles that I tried for use as the standard BUSS choice. 

I got to wondering if what I had learned about noise reduction would extend to a receptacle.  The UberPuerto is the culmination of over a year’s worth of development.

Damn.  They sound REALLY good!

Thanks again, Nick.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:33:13 AM by Nick B »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2020, 09:38:23 AM »
If you’re on the fence as to trying these Uber Peurtos, you have nothing to gain but much improved sound!
Nick,  great to see this.

I have to admit that I am amazed at the potential that lives I. Much of what we use day to day.  Granted, the 5362A is not a widely available receptacle.  It IS a tremendous value over the runof the mill receptacle that is in our homes.

Let me back up.  To even think that a receptacle replacement can make an unexpected and positive SQ change kind of boggles me olde mind.  Bottom line is that receptacles sound different.  Some just sound better than others.  Take the Furutech NCF.  It is astonishing in performance: quiet, detailed, clean and pristine = $280.00.

Okay...

The P&S5362A always sounded great to me... the best out of the 20 or so receptacles that I tried for use as the standard BUSS choice. 

I got to wondering if what I had learned about noise reduction would extend to a receptacle.  The UberPuerto is the culmination of over a year’s worth of development.

Damn.  They sound REALLY good!

Thanks again, Nick.   :thumb:

Dave,
I’m amazed at how good they sound new. Will be putting on more hours over the next few days. Was curious about device noise last night and was looking for my EMF detector, but I can’t find it...oh well
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
   First off sounds really good then the Werewolfs take over for 250+ hours. Then  :drool: then dinner.  :rofl: :rofl:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »
   First off sounds really good then the Werewolfs take over for 250+ hours. Then  :drool: then dinner.  :rofl: :rofl:

charles

I’ll be patient....  My old Antelope dac took a very long time to break in 😪
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
I don’t know if any of you Uber guys are upgrading to these new Puertos, but if you are, try and put as many hours on them as quick as possible, They keep getting better... I’m using the Live Radio feature on Roon and have a UK station on first thing in the morning, then do serious listening at night. Thanks, Charles
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
Dave,
I’m amazed at how good they sound new. Will be putting on more hours over the next few days. Was curious about device noise last night and was looking for my EMF detector, but I can’t find it...oh well
I’m pleased that you like them.

When I listened to every commercial receptacle that I could to replace the P&S 5362 Spec Grades that were in the first iteration of the Uber I was amazed at just how “right” the 5362A sounded when compared to the Hubbell, Cooper and other hospital (MRI) grade receptacles.  There was an undeniable improvement in the very low and very high frequencies.  Taughter, but deeper and cleaner in the highs. My benchmarks are female vocals, brass, cymbal harmonic series and a good old Fender P-Bass.  Another is the release of notes and reverb tails (room sounds).  Again, the 5362A had a rightness to all of these.

I had heard the difference between unpolished and polished connectors when I started polishing the blades on Wattgate plugs for my power cables.  Polishing lowers the noise floor which is apparent in higher frequencies.  That is when I started offering polished 5362As as an option.  That was a good start.

I use a material in the RFI ‘Brick’ absorber in the Uber and started experimenting with compounding that with a viscoelastic material to damp vibrations and mass load the receptacle.  This took a year to finalize with well over a dozen different prototypes before I was happy.

Graphene was the frosting on the cake.

I AM happy.  Even so, I’m trying new mods... TBC >>>>>>>>>>>>

One thing needs to be known.  I have been asked about the fact that I remove the steel pins from the back of the receptacle.  These serve to locate the brass frame on the receptacle.  They do not really hold the receptacle together.  They are used to insure that during the automated ear folding process the pieces stay in place.  It is the folded ears that provide mechanical integrity.  They sound better without the pins due to the elimination of ferrous eddy currents. 

I have retired the Furutech GTX NCFs in my own system.

Enjoy  :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:07:48 PM by dBe »

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2020, 06:51:19 AM »
I’m redoing the A/C feeds to my system and decided to try the UberPuerto , I had Daves’ older receptacles and they were a step up over what I had been using.

With the resent up grades to my system it is now incredibly detailed and clean. Any change is very noticeable , good or bad. With the UberPuerto there is even more of that micro detail and even add a little more real sound to my system, which at this point sounds so real and clean that I’m at a lost to find words to describe it, the instruments and the singers sound like there in the room.

Keep up the great work Dave.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto