Author Topic: November 2009 Meeting.  (Read 9700 times)

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
November 2009 Meeting.
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »
Hey Gang,

Just a quick reminder we are having this months meeting at the home of Jim Marks in his home on 11/27. Jim is truly a great, veteran member of our club.  I suggest we add to the meeting by contributing with food and drink to help our host out.

Looking forward to seeing all of you there.

Paul - President!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:08:04 PM by Lizard_king »

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: November 2009 Meeting.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:30:32 AM »
Jims Maggies are 25 years old this meeting. Talk about reliability. Wonder what jim has up his sleeve this year.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:19:11 PM »
Jims Maggies are 25 years old this meeting. Talk about reliability. Wonder what jim has up his sleeve this year.

charles
I guess they should just about be run in  :roll:

Offline rollo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:57:50 AM »

charles

Quite the contrary actually. The original Maggie 3. I do not believe has ever turned the volume up enoughto wear out a thing.  :lol:  Using modified Dynaco amps a Carey Pre a modified Art DIO DAC. We may hear a new mystery DAC . We shall see.

charles 
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
The Magnepan 3's are incredible speakers yet tough to setup and require lots of time.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »

charles

Quite the contrary actually. The original Maggie 3. I do not believe has ever turned the volume up enoughto wear out a thing.  :lol:  Using modified Dynaco amps a Carey Pre a modified Art DIO DAC. We may hear a new mystery DAC . We shall see.

charles 

...Until Roy puts a beach towel over the speakers...ZZZzzzZZZ... :yay2:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »

Hey Pete,

I am so glad to see you post on our forum. You are missed and peopel speak very hughly about you. We all look forward to your return when you have more time.

Paul

charles

charles 

...Until Roy puts a beach towel over the speakers...ZZZzzzZZZ... :yay2:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »
The Magnepan 3's are incredible speakers yet tough to setup and require lots of time.

Paul,

I think this is an unfair myth about Magnepans. IMO, Maggies are any harder to set up than any other similar quality speaker. Just ask anyone on this forum how much time they have spent fiddling with their speakers to get that placement just perfect.  I think what drives this myth is the fact that Maggies are a lot more finicky about placement than other speakers. If you put them where they want to be they should take no more time or effort to dial in than another type of speaker. However, Maggies are much less tolerent of suboptimal placement that other (dynamic?) speakers. And unfortunately the places that Maggie's are most comfortable tend to be spots that aremuch less compatible with interior decorating than other speakers. I think the hardest part about setting up a pair of Maggies is getting your significant other to agree to let you place them where they need to be ("You want to put the WHERE????"). But then again those of us without a mancave tend to have that problem no matter what type of speakers we have. But the difference with Maggies is that a small placement change made to the sake of marital peace will have make a much more significant change in sound when compared to other speakers. But if you have the right kind of space and the freedom to place them at will you should be good to go. Any thoughts from our Magnepan aficionados?

Pete,

I echo Paul's sentiments, I would be great to see you at one of our gatherings again. I hope you can stop down to Jim's on Friday.

Tom

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:34:37 AM »
Experience counts with Maggie setup, that's for sure. After many years of playing with placement "I got it " so I thought.
   One evening Scot Markwell who was Harry Pearsons set up man came for dinner. After a while listening Scot asked if he could adjust the speakers a little. "yeah' no problem. I went back to the kitchen to finish dinner. Afterwards we went back for a listen. He adjusted the toe in and moved them a bit closer to the rear wall. spot on. He also moved my listening chair forward as well. Never have they sounded so coherent and full. Scot got carried away and pumped it up a lot. Blew the "F"en tweeters. The only saving grace was his relationship with Magnepan. Had new tweeters in {3} days and he surprised me with the 3.6 revisedribbons. Wow!
   I still like the Maggies just that the pipedreams are more dynamic and can handle the occasional 110db. Maggies and Audio research a match made in heaven.

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:07:53 AM »
Nice story   :thumb:

Offline rollo

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »
  Remember when we had the H-Cat demo at Roy's house when he put the towels over the tweeters and used an 8 resistor in lieu of the 1ohm recco by Maggie.  Loves the last row in the concert hall. Hey to each their own. The look on the presenters face when he was told that the preamp was to put with that system. Priceless.  :duh Towels ?  Towels? You want me to demo with TOWELS !  :rofl:
 The best part was when Mike Lobosco put a paper clip in place of the resistor without anyones knowledge. Mike was beside himself knowing the deal as Roy was clueless as to the change. Roy said it sounded VG.
  Needless to say, the towels were removed after pressure from the attendees and demonstrator. the H-cat was a clear window into the event. Just wonderfull. An excellent preamp. No complaints and we tried to find some. Truly a straight wire with gain in our opinion. The H-Cat amp however was a bit Hi Fi and sterile sounding compared to the tubed amps. 
  Remember Roy's last meeting with both the Maggies and Quads playing at the same time. He is a devil. no one realized that two pairs were being used. He fooled us again . Gotta love it. Wonder what Jim and Roy have in store for us next meeting. Should be interesting.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »
Hey, you got to love Roy. He has his own very definite opinions about what things should sound like (that last row perspective) and he sticks to his guns even though his opinions fly in the face of conventional thinking. While you may not agree with him, you have to at least respect his passion for things. But like I've always said, there is no one "right" sound. (If there was we would only need one equipment manufacturer, and what fun would that be?) If that type of sound gets him closer to the music, so be it and good for him. I don't have to like his sound and then again, I don't have to live with it (or pay for it). As long as it makes him happy that's great for him. Live and let live.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »
Hey, you got to love Roy. He has his own very definite opinions about what things should sound like (that last row perspective) and he sticks to his guns even though his opinions fly in the face of conventional thinking. While you may not agree with him, you have to at least respect his passion for things. But like I've always said, there is no one "right" sound. (If there was we would only need one equipment manufacturer, and what fun would that be?) If that type of sound gets him closer to the music, so be it and good for him. I don't have to like his sound and then again, I don't have to live with it (or pay for it). As long as it makes him happy that's great for him. Live and let live.

Tom,
          No problem with Roys" preference, its just funny at times. You gotta admit he is different. It works for him and I agree that's all that counts. The best part is he listens to his system outside the listening room to enhance the rear hall effect. Gotta love him. I tell ya though those Quads are great. Restored by an expert in Florida, what a midrange.

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
Sounds like my kinda guy - a real purist. I hang towels over my single driver speakers to kill the high freqs coming out of the horns. Towels taped all over the things. That's why nobody's heard them yet.. ;)

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:15 PM »

I have felt rings around my dipole Tweeters.

Sounds like my kinda guy - a real purist. I hang towels over my single driver speakers to kill the high freqs coming out of the horns. Towels taped all over the things. That's why nobody's heard them yet.. ;)