Author Topic: meeting at rollo's  (Read 9218 times)

TomM

meeting at rollo's
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
To All.

Just want to say it was a excellent night of music at Rollo's home.The new 211's  from Grant audio worked out well.
 And yes it was a all vinyl night with the Linn as the source.A good time had by all that attended.
           Regards,
                  TomM

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: meeting at rollo's
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »
Thanks Tom. Glad to see someone from our club here. The JPS cables won us over big time.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
Hey Tom,

Glad you have join us!

Paul

To All.

Just want to say it was a excellent night of music at Rollo's home.The new 211's  from Grant audio worked out well.
 And yes it was a all vinyl night with the Linn as the source.A good time had by all that attended.
           Regards,
                  TomM

Offline rollo

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
The new tubes are starting to open up a bit. Sophia advises around 100 hours. thanks to Shane of Hometheaterdoctor for supplying the JPS Labs cables.  As everyone noticed they made a big impact on the sound for the good . Even though the system sounded a bit dull due to the new tubes the cables showed their stuff.
    An evenening of LP only. The Lingo made a difference over the Valhalla board. An upgrade I do not regret. Not a Linnie by no means but this table now sings. Not even one request for a CD, amazing actually.
    Next meeting we need to take some pictures to post. Jim Marks is hosting the Nov. meeting. the Maggies are always a good time. Hopefully Jim and Roy will have an interesting trick up their sleeves as usual.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:03:33 PM »
Charles,

Sorry I missed the meeting.  I don't remember you have Grant Fidelity amps, but my memory is not what it used to be. 

Paul M.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »
Hi Paul,

Glad to see you  have come aboard.

Paul

Charles,

Sorry I missed the meeting.  I don't remember you have Grant Fidelity amps, but my memory is not what it used to be. 

Paul M.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
A night of vinyl was a nice change of pace. :thumb:   I didn't know you added the Lingo until I got there.  Just curious, did that necessitate changing the motor in the LP12 too or just the Valhalla board?  Also, did you do the upgrade yourself or was an LP12 techie needed?  The Lingo (or Naim Armaggedon) is something I've thought about for my LP12 as well, but the cost factor always kept me from making that jump.  Someday???  :roll:

I don't know if those were the "Aluminata" (spelling?) version of JPS Labs speaker cables, but all I can say is... Wow!  It's not that the other speaker cables in/out of your system were unpleasant by any means, but the JPS cables were a noticable improvement within the first three notes!   
Once again (for me at least) it unfortunately  :( comes down to $$$.  Champagne taste :drool: on a Coors budget! :)

Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 07:32:33 AM »
A night of vinyl was a nice change of pace. :thumb:   I didn't know you added the Lingo until I got there.  Just curious, did that necessitate changing the motor in the LP12 too or just the Valhalla board?  Also, did you do the upgrade yourself or was an LP12 techie needed?  The Lingo (or Naim Armaggedon) is something I've thought about for my LP12 as well, but the cost factor always kept me from making that jump.  Someday???  :roll:

I don't know if those were the "Aluminata" (spelling?) version of JPS Labs speaker cables, but all I can say is... Wow!  It's not that the other speaker cables in/out of your system were unpleasant by any means, but the JPS cables were a noticable improvement within the first three notes!   
Once again (for me at least) it unfortunately :( comes down to $$$.  Champagne taste :drool: on a Coors budget! :)

Bill
Bill the work wa done at Accent on Music about 2 years ago. The motor is the same. However Linn has a new motor available for $15.000,000 unless you know Ivor.  The amps are Consonance Cyber 211s. Just the 211tubes are new. I installed new caps Teflon [V-Caps] in the amps just two each . IMO this mod is responsible for the character of the amps.
  Glad you came see you at Jims next month.

charles

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »
Hey Bill,

Glad to see you have finally joined this forum!

Paul - Pres :-)

Once again (for me at least) it unfortunately  :( comes down to $$$.  Champagne taste :drool: on a Coors budget! :)

Bill

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 07:56:12 AM »
Hi Paul

Glad to be here!  It's nice to have an on-line "home" for the Syndrome.  I'm sure my "attendance" on AN will be "streaky", but I'll try to participate as often as possible.  (Only one worthwhile computer in the house, so it's sometimes a battle for keyboard time!)

Anyway, it was good to see everyone at Charles' place last week and look forward to the meeting at Jim's coming up.

Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »
 Well the verdict is in on the new 211s from Sophia that you gents heard st the meeting. Yes they were a bit DULL. The systems tube selection was based on the previous GE 211s that resided there until meltdown. Before the meeting I did NOT want to change the tube configuration and HOPE I found the correct combo for the meeting. as you know I have done this before and F****d it up big time.
  Now that the tubes have settled in tube changes were made. Now the tonality is full warm and NOT dull. Just too many Mullards in the chain before. Amprex bugle Boys now reside in the Mullards position as well as Teles in the preamp power supply. Those Teles do it every time. They bright dynamics with a rich character.
  Time for another get together.

charles 

Offline rollo

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 05:56:37 AM »
     Well I'll be a son of a gun. After listening for a while with the new 211 tubes the sound is still a bit to dark even for me. WTF, guess the Sophias are to warm. Nah, not according to the others who have used this tube. What could it be.
   Then it came to me :duh. The batteries the batteries. Yes the batteries used to charge the shield on the Omega Mikro speaker cables. Ron Bauman of Mapleshade advised changing them every 6 months to a year. :duh Well its been two years. Dumb. He was correct. Night and day difference. The life and sparkle are back with a full rich presentation.
    I will have another meeting later in the season so everyone can enjoy this. Happy as a pig in mud. BTW the Linn Arkiv has replaced the Micro Benz M2. Using a Denon step up transformer loaded at 150 ohms for the Arkiv. WOW! The Benz is DEAD dead dead. Re tipping or a Soundsmith MM.  We shall see.

charles

Offline rollo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 06:03:49 AM »
  WARNING  Ears Nova the Linn dealer who told me my Arkiv was done needed new cant. and such [ paid $2200 to them for the cart 3 years prior]. LIARS. Beware of this dealer. Still plenty of life left. If anyone is interested in Linn or Naim go only to Accent on Music in upstate NY. Honest and caring. I am not the only one who has had problems with Josh at Ears Nova. Buyer beware.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 06:32:11 AM »
I have never dealt with them personally, but I have been hearing these same kind of stories for 25 years. You have to wonder how does a place like that stays in business.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »
I have never dealt with them personally, but I have been hearing these same kind of stories for 25 years. You have to wonder how does a place like that stays in business.

He became wealthy after installing numerous custom home theater Linn  and Naim systems in Great Neck L.I.  To think that I put that cart in storage until I could retip. when I finally saved enough the program ended. no more re tipping. I was NOT moving up to the Boron at $2400 no way Jose. So i bought the Benz from the Analog shop. Great price and service. They gave me a old benz to trade in so the cost was $800 instead of $1400. I was impressed by that. no need for them to do that exec pt good business. I rec comend them highly.

charles