Author Topic: Cable Burn-in by mfgs?  (Read 6847 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Cable Burn-in by mfgs?
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
I use the Audiodharma Pro and it's a little expensive but I believe there is one out there in the $150-200 dollar range, can't recall the name though. :duh I've heard it works pretty well too! Hagerman ring a bell???
Frybaby, I think that's it. Regards, John

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/audiodharmacablecooker.htm
http://www.hagtech.com/frybaby.html

KCI-JohnP,
I admire that you put some "heat" into your wires before shipping. I wish all wire mfgs would fully break in their expensive wires before shipping.  Some are easy breakins, sounding good from the start and getting better from there, so no biggie. But other brands take a long time break in and sound terrible at the start. Why would anyone ship a product that incriminates itself on first impression?? Surely a cable cooker can give high current, and could break in 100 cables at a time, and if not a custom amp could be built to do this job inexpensively, using that proven break in signal available on the net. Would break in fade away over time sitting on dealer's shelf? Most expensive high end wires are made to order, and in the customer's hands within 2 weeks. Can you give your thoughts?
Thanks!!
Rich
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:03:06 AM by richidoo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Cable Burn-in by mfgs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »
Richadoo,
               One of my pet peeves. I feel the same way with the Teflon caps that require 500 Hrs to sound good. To me there is no reason in the world not to offer a breakin as standard fare. Then again Frybabies, breakin discs and the like wouldn't sell. Ther are dealers who bought breakin devices from Nordst and are CHARGING for the break in service. IMO just another way to fleece our nervosa.
              When a Manf. offers a break in I take notice and respect the product. Zu will break in your speaker for you at the factory [ actually the drivers only]. If the Manf. is unwilling then IMO the dealer should. Its just good marketing. I mean their working on 40% min. on cables, whats the big deal?
              With reference to breakin lasting the answer is yes. Only a short time is required to settle in with the system. The Frybaby is an excellent product BTW and priced within reach.

rollo 

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the props, much appreciated. When I first decided to go public I didn't want to offer just cables, I wanted to offer a service so to speak. I try to offer the best customer service I can, fast shipping, free upgrades, free treatment etc. First thing I did is buy a cable cooker so I could pretreat the cables so the customer wouldn't have to go thru such a lengthy break in period. It's tricky though as it's very easy to over cook cables making them sound pretty bad, so after much trial and error I've figured out the amount of time to cook each different model(my line) so as to save the customer alot of time but still allow them to hear some of the improvements as the cables go thru their final stages of break in. 

I not sure why more mfg.'s don't do this. And charging for it?? Why not offer the service for free? The only cost is the initial purchase price of the cooker, after that you can treat as many sets of cables as you want for just a few cents worth of electricity. I don't mind doing it at all. As a matter of fact, if you ever have a set of cables you would like treated send them to me and I'll treat them for you, no charge(just pay return shipping). I can treat power cords, speaker cables, RCA and XLR interconnects no problem.

As for "sitting on the shelf", I agree with Rollo. I think after being treated they're fine sitting on the shelf for quite a while and after a short time in a system they'll settle in and open up. BUT, I don't treat until just prior to shipping out just incase, I want my customer to receive a freshly treated set. Well I hope I was able to answer some of your questions, if you have more questions please don't hesitate to contact me anytime!

Sincerely,
John

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09:53 AM »
Rollo,

That's a good question on the caps. I wonder, would a cooker such as the Audiodharma be capeable of properly treating teflon caps? For example; I have a set of speakers on order with outboard cross overs and I'm wondering if I could just hook the cross overs up directly to the cooker to expedite the break in process. These cross overs will have all Sonicap Platinums so I'm in for a longgggg break in time! :?

Regards,
John

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:21:54 AM »
Thanks John that is great news. Thanks for the offer to cook cables too. That is worth a try sometime!

The over cooking thing is interesting. I wonder what's going on there? Some kind of physical breakdown molecularly? I wouldn't think heat would build up from low level signal, but maybe the cooker isn't so low level?  When a cable is overcooked, will it heal back to med. rare by itself over time, or do you just give it to the pooch? ;)

As for the caps (nice choice platinums BTW John), if it is still low level signal like coupling, or whatever, then it should work, just hypersimulating a normal 1-2V signal that would otherwise come by music. If bypassing tweeter or something where higher voltage is expected, maybe the amp needs to swing a voltage that will be similar to the way the cap is to be used, or maybe the trick to fast burn in is playing signal with higher than normal voltage? Then would soldering the cap after breakin screw up the burn in?  Breaking in a bypass cap while still connected to tweeter would not be a pleasant experience.  :shock:
Thanks,
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »
John,
           Oh yes you can. I had a Duotech for that purpose which has met its end. Too bad. Worked great. Its refreshing to see a Manf. with the customer service service attitude your describing. When I pluck down serious money for a product I expect it to be broken in from the factory. Fat chance. Very few oblige.
          Using NOS tubes throughout it sucks to waste them for breakin. I bought an inexpensive Protron CDP for $40 to use as a breakin source and an old SS Intergrated. The Fry Baby is an affective device to be considered if all else fails.
            Good luck with your business, when the word gets out and it will about your service you should do very well.
             BTW try some V-cap Teflons as bypass caps with Sonicaps. A nice combo.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:40:42 AM »
Hi Rich,
Sure, just let me know if you ever want a set treated. I've actually treated my well broken in cables and still hear an improvement.

On the overcooking, to be honest I'm not sure exactly what is happening when cables are over-treated. It doesn't permantly damage the cable, they will return to normal but boy they can sound pretty bad for a while! :shock:

I believe that the Audiodharma cooker uses a higher than normal voltage for break in, I know it also uses some type of special "waveform" as well. When treating some cables you can hear it making this little "weeow weeow tweet tweet" noise. I know, terrible description but all I could think of at the moment!  :D/ I'm going to call the mfg about using it on my cross overs, would be nice if it's possible.

Best,
John

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »
Hi Rollo,
I was typing while you responded. So I can use it on my cross overs? Kool man!! Thank you. I may also take your advice on the V-caps w/Sonicap combo!

I don't mean to get started on customer service(but most likely I will!! lol.), call me old fashioned but I'm sick and tired of the way customers are treated now days. Seems like the words "customer service" have taken the path of the Dinosaur! Personally I feel that if someone is trusting enough to open their wallet up and offer some of their hard earned money to me then by God I'm going to do everything I can to make their purchase fun, enjoyable and worthwhile.

Recently I noticed a used set of my cables up for sale on audiogon and from the photos I could tell that they were an older model. I contacted the seller and told him to notify the new buyer that he could send them to me and I would update them, serial number them and then send on to the new owner. The seller and buyer just couldn't believe that I would do that free of charge. I look at it as an investment, now hopefully both of them will keep me in mind next time they need new cables, besides, I truely wanted the buyer to have the better and much improved cables. They just look and sound better.

Regards,
John

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 08:04:43 AM »
Kudos, man!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 08:50:06 AM »
Well said John. You're right though, providing good service is just common sense, which I guess "ain't so common anymore..."  I am saving pennies for a set of super ICs this year, so I hope to give yours a try when the time comes.

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »
Don't ship the pennies.  It gets really expensive, especially with insurance. 

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:28:08 AM »
Thank you Miklor!!

Rich,
You just let me know when you're ready Rich and we'll get a set in your hands to try out. If you are looking for superbly musical cables then I'm your man!! I must warn you though, I avoid the "HiFi sound" in voicing my cables. No disection of the music, just not my thing. [-X

I have been considering maybe a cable tour of some sort but have been hesitant due to my cost of the Silkworms. Gold ain't cheap and it just continues to climb in price lately. :cry: Hmmm, but maybe a quick tour for the members here???

Regards,
John

Edit: I was typing again when you posted Miklor!!
Don't ship the pennies.  It gets really expensive, especially with insurance. 

:rofl:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:30:18 AM by KCI-JohnP »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
I avoid the "HiFi sound" in voicing my cables. No disection of the music, just not my thing. [-X
Good! :D

Gold ain't cheap and it just continues to climb in price lately. :cry: Hmmm, but maybe a quick tour for the members here???

Gold dropping like lead today, down $18 so far. ;)     A tour sounds like fun, but I understand your hesitancy to mail out "jewelry" on faith. You can check the AN "Grover files" to see how much we love to blab about wires, although at $900/yd might not be as many stops as his $100/yd. Which might make it quicker tour, as you prefer.
Rich

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »
Man I hope it keeps dropping, it was less than $600 an ounce this time last year! I'm glad to see it drop back below $800 again, now, if it'll just keep going down so I can order some more wire!

I've seen those threads and no doubt, you guys love to "blab about wires"(so do I!!), I'll have to look into this. Good group of guys here and I think like you said, it would be fun!

Best regards,
John