Author Topic: Black Cat Veloce 75ohm digital IC  (Read 8371 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Black Cat Veloce 75ohm digital IC
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
OK, I'm spoiled and I know it.  I've got an Oracle CD transport and DAC1000 with a JPS Aluminata digital IC running between them and, well, it just sounds awesome (thank you, Shane!). 

But I find myself using my Squeezebox Touch far more than spinning CDs, much less vinyl.  The Touch sounds quite good and the convenience puts it way over the top.  To my ears, the Touch is definitely better than the Duet or SB3, but still not close to the Oracle gear.  No surprise there.  But, I never tried a really good digital IC on the Touch.  The Aluminata on the Oracle is a 110ohm XLR.  So on the Touch and Duet before that I've been using either a Grover digital IC or a Granite Audio 420 digital IC. 

Which brings me to the Black Cat Veloce digital IC.  Black Cat is a business setup by Chris Sommovigo who has been instrumental in designing digital ICs with Illuminati, Kimber, and most recently Stereovox/Stereolab.  He started Black Cat as an alternate way to sell product and promote music.  The Veloce is the first Black Cat product released only last month.  This article on the site caught my eye and interest:

http://www.blackcatcable.com/page/75-ohms-and-you

So after exchanging email with Chris, I picked up a Veloce with the hope of seeing what it could do for the Touch.  Four days ago I plugged it in and initially, compared to the Granite Audio, it was all the things we dislike about digital - hard, edgy, splashy, etc... but that was to be expected and even in the packing material, Chris advocates for an extended break-in time. 

Well, here I sit about 100 hours later and all I can say is WOW!  I'm not one to jump on the fanboy wagon often but this time, I gotta say... It is doing all the right things.  I sat down to listen to Lizz Wright - The Orchard.  Beautiful and very well recorded music that I'm quite familiar with.  1 minute into the first song, Coming Home, I just had to get up and switch the Touch back to the Granite Audio digital IC and 30 seconds after that, I switched it back.  The first song starts with a well recorded and closely mic'd acoustic guitar left of center and Lizz up front and center.   It sounds very good with the Granite Audio (& a good bit worse with the Grover digital IC).  But with the Veloce, the improvements are clear and obvious.  The acoustic guitar strings sounded perfect top to bottom and as if the guitar had just been restrung (if you play a guitar you know exactly what I mean).  Lizz's voice was singing center stage up front as if she was standing a foot forward of the guitar.  All in a wonderful sense of recording venue.

When I switched back to the Granite Audio, the guitar moved much closer to the left speaker and the strings lost that 'new' sound.  The top-end sizzle and transient were gone.  Lizz also took a step back in the sound stage.   Needless to say, the Veloce went back in immediately and it all came back.  Simple as that.

All I can say is that this little experience proved to my ears just how important a well designed digital IC can be.   Check it out... he offers a 60 day eval and the price is right.  Made a believer outa me. :thumb:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Black Cat Veloce 75ohm digital IC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
I hate that you're right about digital ICs. I had a similar experience with my Buffalo DAC, which is supposed to comb out all the nasties right inside the chip, but a good digital IC (SC3) from the transport sounds so much better than the Blue Jeans analog IC I am (still) using even tho it is well shielded 75ohm coax.

I checked out Chris' website, it is an interesting read. And for $123 it sounds like it's worth a try. It would be interesting compare to JPS' cheapest Ultraconductor Digital @ $100/m. I like the 60 day trial by mail.  Thanks for sharing your discovery Mike! :thumb:

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
This cable is getting reviewed by 6moons, in Preview stage at the moment.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:53:52 AM »
Like all cables, there seems to be hundreds of different manufacturers of RCA-terminated digital ICs.  Many profess 75ohm measurements, others simply claim perfect sound forever or similar marketing gibberish.   I was curious about Black Cat because marketing is intentionally low key and focused on technical merit of design. It is also coming from someone who has many years of design experience.   And, well, yeah, I gave it a try because of the price and 60 days eval.

There's a thread over on AC, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81381, that is discussing the quality of the Logitech Touch as a transport and seems to be centered around what digital IC to use.  Many seem to have found glass toslink to be better than digital coax.  What I suspect is that the quality of the Touch as transport (moreso than the Duet or Sb3 before it) is limited by the quality of the digital IC.  I haven't tried toslink on in yet, but was truly surprised by what a difference the Veloce made compared to other digital coax ICs.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
In case you've been thinking about a digital IC but just haven't popped yet... this was posted in the recent Stereophile Newsletter...

http://www.blackcatcable.net/veloce.php

No vested interest... just a happy customer.