Author Topic: Befuddlement  (Read 9861 times)

shep

Befuddlement
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »
This is probably boring as s...t but anyway I'm having a hard time deciding. I've narrowed my search down to two speaker cables on my list, namely Grover's newest version (which he says is the best of the best...) and http://www.pnfaudio.com/ these. I'm looking for the best bang for the least buck (which is always a tricky situation) Where-upon I read here or on AC about a new as-yet-to-be from a certain Paul Kaplan (?).
So I'm stuck in indecision. Which is itself an indication of advanced Nervosa  :roll:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Befuddlement
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
See if you can get a demo pair from Paul and Grover.. do a side by side comparison... that'd be fun!
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »
Are you asking us to make a decision for you?  :lmc:

Reread the comments made about Grover's last 3 speaker cables at our recent G2Gs. That's why we write about them, to help you make a decision.

Not heard Paul's cables yet, but they're probably not gonna be >$200. Knowing Paul, I'm sure they will be good value.

PNF is just in wall plenum wire. In europe someone will sell it locally for HT installers, about $1/foot. PNF is nothing special. All wire is OFC.

Here in US you can go to The Home Depot or Sears and buy 100ft of 14ga stranded copper zip cord in clear vinyl. They also sell it at HTD. It is better than Anticable and recent Grovers, imo. I see it everywhere, branded as RCA, GE, HTD, etc. As low as $0.32 per foot. High strand count, OFC, etc. It's what I use on everything other than my JPS wires. Last week Rob S and I used it to listen to compare DACs and tube amps. We were amazed how great it sounded.  His amp could not accept the JPS bananas but we didn't miss it.  I have never done a direct comparison to my JPS, I should do that sometime.

shep

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
I would never ask anyone to underwrite my madness! Just opinions. This is a tough call but I don't like the sound of in-wall Plenums, so I'll pass on that. THat leaves Grover and his latest and greatest (which apparently you didn't get to hear) and the LAT cable, which is still interesting. Tough call. It is so much easier to source good gear, other than damn cables. I know there's no free lunch but still...
By the way Rich, I haven't forgotten the cd I promised you!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:42:11 PM »
 :D  I did forget! Thanks!

shep

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »
what about Van de Hul? Nobody mentions them.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »
They are a European brand, so they are not as visible as American brands. But I do see them mentioned as internal wire on speakers and amps occasionally.

I counted 27 different speaker cable models on their website.
http://www.vandenhul.com/c_Speaker%20Cables.aspx

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
 :-k
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:10:53 PM by KCI-JohnP »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
John, are you befuddled?    :D

shep

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
I think he's pondering my pm  :shock:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »
John, are you befuddled?    :D

Why yes richidoo I am. I was trying to poke a little fun but I couldn't find the little guy that's waving his hand like "Uhhm hello, I'm right here"! so I picked the little befuddled dude instead.

And I am pondering Sheps pm....I'd like to help him, and by golly, I think I will.... :-$

shep

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »
This is why I love this forum and indeed why I love this "hobby". I adore the term silkworm"! There are just some names that tickle ones fancy and lead thru the labyrinth of the web to secret magical places where mighty wizards and faithful elves create artifacts for our pleasure and amazement (to say nothing of feeding the ever-faithful Nervosa). The idea of combining precious metals and of then cooling them to deep space temperatures...tubes made by chaste maidens in China under the supervision of ancient masters...kind of gets to you...audio alchemy.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
Ha ha, did you see some of my others? How about Firefly and Boomslang?  8-[ Makes you wonder where the hell I come up with this stuff and oh boy, you should see some that didn't make the cut!  :roll:  ....

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
I've been missing that little hand waving guy too. And the little jumpy man.  I'll see if I can import them.

pmkap

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
Not heard Paul's cables yet, but they're probably not gonna be >$200. Knowing Paul, I'm sure they will be good value.

Shep,

While Richidoo is, IMO, right about the value,  my GS cables won't be competitive in price against the
Grovers.

Regards,
Paul
KaplanCable.com
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:28:04 PM by pmkap »