Author Topic: Cheap ("inexpensive") termination recommendation  (Read 13781 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Cheap ("inexpensive") termination recommendation
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
I'm starting to accumulate components to build my own ICs (to make the system quad amped and full active) and am looking for some advise and/or recommendations on terminations. I'll be using the Musilux mic cable and have purchased 30' of it already.
The components involved will require XLR and RCA jacks. I've linked the types and quantities of my first choices from PE, below.

- Female XLR 092-306 $3.88 x (6)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-306

- Male XLR 092-309 $3.66 x (2)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-309

- Male RCA 092-111 $1.89 x (5)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-111

The prices should indicate where I'm at financially speaking (but that's a story for another day  :roll:)

Mainly, I'm curious if anybody has used these items, and your thoughts on them. Or.....If you have any better recommendations in that price range.
It seems anytime I've finished a project somebody always says, "Gee, I wish I knew you where doing that, I could have given a recommendation for a better component."  :duh

Thanks guys!
Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Cheap ("inexpensive") termination recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »
For the money, I don't think you can improve on your plan Bob.  Buy from PE to avoid Neutrik counterfits.  I would suggest ProCo or Blue JeansCables if you didn't want to DIY, but buying finished goods of similar quality would increase the cost substantially.  I have never heard Musilux wire, but I have heard Beldin and ProCo (which probably uses Beldin.) They are both very good, even for high end audio use. You might lose a little air and sparkle compared to premium audiophile wires.  But for the extra money you can buy a lot more valuable sparkle in other areas of your life.

Have fun!
Rich

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »
Thanks for replying Rich.....Yea, it's all about the point of diminishing returns for me. Especially now in these times. So if these are "good enough to pass", then they sound like a worthwhile expenditure. For the price they can't be beat.
I've always been a DIY guy, the thought of paying somebody else to make something so easy to assemble (like wires) just sends a chill up my spine. So 'prebuilt' like BlueJeans or Belden are out the equation for now. I've made a few wires along the way, it's not that hard. Not only is it fun to build wires, I find it relaxing.
My main goal here was to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck in the price range I'm in.
Sounds like I've done 'ok' on my choice.

I'm also wondering about the "solder-ability" of these components from somebody that's used them before. I've had some cheap stuff in the past that would accept solder about as well as a piece of glass. Talk about frustration.  :roll:

The MusuLUX cable is described > HERE <, with more information > HERE <.
It's only sold in 500' rolls, but there's a fella on the forums that bought a roll and has some left, so I bought 30' for less than $20 with shipping. It's a 2 conductor with shield.

Mainly, I'm building a bunch of wires and would hate to find out there's a better way for the same amount of money out there.

Again, thanks Rich!!!
Anybody else?

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:30:17 AM »
I think you'll be fine Bob.  Mic cable is kind of a different animal since it's primary goals are different than a standard audio cable (doesn't need to be 20-20k, needs to be very quiet, needs to handle very long runs well, etc)

It should solder just fine.  If you run into an issue with the wire (if it's enameled - shouldn't be), you can just dip the ends in a solder pot and that will take care of it. 

The Neutrik connectors are very well made.  I have them on all of my balanced interconnects in the HT.  They're rock solid.  Don't know about the RCA's but they should be fine and a good bang for the buck.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:11:59 AM »
WBT nextgens are the ticket. Not cheap but IMO one of the best out there. Much easier to work with then the Eichmans as well as better contact.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »
Good deal. Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I'm on the right track.
Thank you!
Bob

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:15 AM »
The WBT clones from Parts Connexion are very good for them money and my first choice based on $$$ cost. But the WBT 0144's and the Dayton Silvers are really nice RCA's, if much more expensive. I tried Eichmanns and they tend to sound soft and non-dynamic to me. The Cardas are also good sounding, but their strain relief sucks and I avoid them for that reason. I hate having to go back and resolder their connections if I happen to move or twist the cable the wrong way.

Obviously I don't buy into the lower mass Eichmann story, through personal experience and direct comparison with the others.

Good luck Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »
Hey Bob, good to see you here buddy.  ;)

Thanks for the recommendations. I pulled the trigger on the PE components yesterday afternoon. I received the 30' of Musilux mic cable that Henry has been pimpin'. I'm impressed by the look and feel of the cable. It almost has a Laytex tubing feel to it. Very flexible, very soft. Dare I say it's supple without sounding too feminine.  :rofl:

Again, thanks for the words fellas.
Welcome to the forum Bob.

Bob

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »
Just in case ya'all are curious, I thought I'd show off what I've done:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »
They look truly beautiful. I love the royal blue color.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
They look truly beautiful. I love the royal blue color.

They could pass for Siltechs
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »
They could pass for Siltechs
Is that a good thing?  :oops:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
Uh-oh... Bob I think they're onto you.

http://www.siltechcables.com/wawcs0115618/fake.html

preistube

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
They look great, but how do you know which is L and R?

Lin

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »
Rich, No problem there man. Mine are a manly shade of blue. Those are a feminine pastel shade.
No worries about imitation here.  :lol:

Preistube, Well.....I can tell because the right one is plugged into the red female RCA.
Ok, seriously...Most of these are coming out of a Behringer DCX2496. There is no color coding for right and left. Only a simple alpha/numeric designation. The inputs are "A" through "C", the outputs are "1" through "6".
For instance, I've written down that:
-- #1 from the DCX is the main channel coax left side that runs from 20kHz down to about 80(ish)Hz.
-- #4 will feed the bass augmenting driver for the right side that goes from 80Hz down to ??Hz.
-- #5 will run the mono Infinite Baffle that takes care of the lowest octaves.
I had thought about color coding the RCA ends, but ultimately, in my situation it doesn't matter much.

Overall, I figure it's not too bad for about $7 a cable.

Bob