Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027306 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2400 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
Like I don't have enough versions of 'Emperor' I have to get another.

Have you heard Van Cliburn's version? How does this compare?

Yep.  I have the Van Cliburn version too and I give it a slight edge for performance.  I also prefer the CSO over the VPO.  However, the Curzon reading is terrific, and it has much better sound than the Van Cliburn recording.  Not all of the RCA Victor three track masters were in the best possible sound.  London Records was a subsidiary of Decca, and recordings on the London label were laid down by Decca's legendary sound engineers and it really shows.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2401 on: April 07, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
Yep.  I have the Van Cliburn version too........

Why am I not surprised?  :rofl:

You're just my knid of guy.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2402 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »
Trust me, you don't have to sell me on classical on London, I have a tidy collection of them.

Like I don't have enough versions of 'Emperor' I have to get another.

Have you heard Van Cliburn's version? How does this compare?

Yep.  I have the Van Cliburn version too and I give it a slight edge for performance.  I also prefer the CSO over the VPO.  However, the Curzon reading is terrific, and it has much better sound than the Van Cliburn recording.  Not all of the RCA Victor three track masters were in the best possible sound.  London Records was a subsidiary of Decca, and recordings on the London label were laid down by Decca's legendary sound engineers and it really shows.

--Jerome
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #2403 on: April 07, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
Trust me, you don't have to sell me on classical on London, I have a tidy collection of them.

That makes two of us. :clap:

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2404 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Another nice Tchaikovsky 4th, courtesy of Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2405 on: April 07, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
I bet that one is nice. I love my Munch/BSO  Beethoven 5

eleazar

« Reply #2406 on: April 07, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
Radiohead ~ The King Of Limbs

LP

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2407 on: April 08, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Just missed a 200gr version, there is a 180 gram version - is there an appreciable difference?

Kind Of Blue [Dual Disc]
Miles Davis | Format: Audio CD

Listening to the dvd side, and it's good. But I wonder if the SACD version would be better, anyone have the SACD of this and want to comment?

Get the Classic Records 200g LP reissue. Game, set, match.  :thumb:

(Unless of course you can get your hands on one of the Classic 4 disc 45 RPM sets for less than a months mortgage payment  :duh  - they have become very hard to find a quite pricey when you do find one)
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #2408 on: April 08, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »
Just missed a 200gr version, there is a 180 gram version - is there an appreciable difference?

I really doubt there is that much of a difference between 200g and 180g, other than the 180g records had a lower defect rate than the 200g LPs.  I have a number of Classic Records 45RPM pressings (not of Kind of Blue, but several others) and they are nice if you are lucky enough to get one without pressing defects -- which was my greatest pet peeve with Classic Records.

It just so happens that I have a spare 200g pressing of Kind of Blue that you could shake loose from me if you like.  As I recall it had a couple of mild ticks before the last track on the B side, and being the total AR audiophile that I am I just had to have a perfect copy and bought another one.  If you're interested I could play it and give you a more accurate report.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2409 on: April 08, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
By all means, give it a listen and let me know what you think.

jsaliga

« Reply #2410 on: April 08, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Since I have not played this album in a long while I gave it a good cleaning on my VPI RCM.

Side 1 plays cleanly.  On side two there is one very light crackle about a minute into All Blues. There are a few pops and a light crackle at the beginning of Flamenco Sketches.  It's a very nice sounding record overall, but as I said I really expect and demand perfection with these expensive audiophile vinyl reissues.

It plays better than I remembered it.  This is the 3rd time the record has been played.  I really pamper my vinyl.

For reference I am using a Ortofon Jubilee MC cartridge with boron cantilever and nude shibata stylus.

Let me know if you're interested.  Since it sounded better than I thought it would I'll have to ask for more than I originally had in mind.  Let's see....if you ask me nicely for it and agree to cover the cost of mailing it then that probably will be enough.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2411 on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

Kind Of Blue [Dual Disc]
Miles Davis | Format: Audio CD

Listening to the dvd side, and it's good. But I wonder if the SACD version would be better, anyone have the SACD of this and want to comment?

Get the Classic Records 200g LP reissue. Game, set, match.  :thumb:

(Unless of course you can get your hands on one of the Classic 4 disc 45 RPM sets for less than a months mortgage payment  :duh  - they have become very hard to find a quite pricey when you do find one)

FYI -
The 180g version from classic came out before the 200g version and has been out of print longer. I have heard comments go back and forth both ways as to which one is better.

I was on the Acoustic Sounds web site last night saw that there was just another 180g vinyl version released on the Legacy label. I have not heard anything about it other than what I saw on that page so I can't comment on the SQ. I's sure if we keep our eyes open someone will be reviewing it soon.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/70420/Miles_Davis-Kind_of_Blue-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:29:30 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2412 on: April 08, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
"Let me know if you're interested"

I'd have to be insane not to be, so.....

....pretty, pretty, pretty please, with sugar on top!  ;)

Shoot me a pm with the cost.

Gene

Since I have not played this album in a long while I gave it a good cleaning on my VPI RCM.

Side 1 plays cleanly.  On side two there is one very light crackle about a minute into All Blues. There are a few pops and a light crackle at the beginning of Flamenco Sketches.  It's a very nice sounding record overall, but as I said I really expect and demand perfection with these expensive audiophile vinyl reissues.

It plays better than I remembered it.  This is the 3rd time the record has been played.  I really pamper my vinyl.

For reference I am using a Ortofon Jubilee MC cartridge with boron cantilever and nude shibata stylus.

Let me know if you're interested.  Since it sounded better than I thought it would I'll have to ask for more than I originally had in mind.  Let's see....if you ask me nicely for it and agree to cover the cost of mailing it then that probably will be enough.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2413 on: April 08, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
All this talk of heavy vinyl Miles has me putting on something I still struggle with, so, once more into the breach with.......

Bitches Brew
Miles Davis | Format: 180g Vinyl

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2414 on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
Gaucho
Steely Dan | Format: Vinyl

A friend of Eleazar's recently pointed out the virtues of this lp as a test record.