Group Therapy > NY Audio Rave

Non-AudioCircle perspective on RMAF

<< < (3/11) > >>

TomS:

--- Quote from: Scott F. on October 11, 2009, 08:12:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: pmkap on October 11, 2009, 07:41:31 AM ---Actually, one of the best sounds at RMAF 09' was the sound of Mike Galusha's mancave with Gedde's Abbeys powered by his Mac 275.

--- End quote ---

I agree completely. Mike's system sounded awesome. Sort of knowing the sound of the SP speakers, I was expecting a similar sound with the Gedde's waveguide. Boy was that assumption wrong  :duh

--- End quote ---
I agree they are surprisingly different which I wasn't expecting at all, but both are tremendous speakers.  Wish I could have made to to Mike's this time to hear what mine are capable of as mine aren't quite there yet.  I had a great session with the new NYAR 2009 disc last night though.  Big thanks to Chris and the NY ravers, great selections!

lonewolfny42:
Many of the AC manufacturers rooms did sound good....but they still don't get the coverage that the "Big" boys get....not until they make big waves.

The "name brands" still hold forth....and do pay for bigger ads...

Bob in St. Louis:
I was disappointed to see the lack of information about a fellow STL guy (Chris Hoff of BPT).  :(
His system looked pretty neat, but only a picture was shown. No comments or reviews.

Bob

Carlman:

--- Quote from: richidoo on October 11, 2009, 06:28:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: mfsoa on October 10, 2009, 07:05:09 PM ---I understand we're allowed (encouraged even?) to say stuff like this on AN, so I have a little observation-

--- End quote ---

Mike, your post is thoughtful, intelligent and respectful, while making a critical observation. That is allowed at AN. Personal insults, or things that make others uncomfortable is not. Thanks for asking.

--- End quote ---

You're all right but just a couple of clarifications..
1, I'd like AN to be more about actual observations, whatever they are.  Honesty yields predictability.  We can all learn to understand each other's preferences if you're just honest about what you hear.  It's great to read about what you heard and how you heard it.  Why did you feel compelled to write about it?

2, It's not about AC.  In this case I understand what you're talking about and is exactly why AN has no manufacturer circles.. When I was admin of 2-channel I generally let anything fly but then I noticed myself getting into the 'don't upset the manufacturers' mindset.. and 'say it nicely'.. and found it was a sort-of censorship.  It's a tough line to manage.. and is a large reason as to why I created AN.

We do have sponsors here.  But they're companies run by business men who aren't going to freak out at every negative review.  John at Black Sand was our first sponsor and I've developed a great relationship with him.. but if his cable doesn't come out on top, I'm still going to say it inthe post-meet write-up.  One time I warned him about it... told him "John, I don't know about this shoot-out.. your cable's not looking good against xyz.."  He just laughed and said 'whatever'. It made me realize he's been around enough to know that every situation is different... and is confident his cable has enough of a reputation to take a hit now and again...  That's the kind of professionalism we have with all of our sponsors so I don't have to worry about stepping on toes down the road.

Everything is above board here.  Be honest, be respectful.. and of course, have fun. :)

-C

Carlman:

--- Quote from: lonewolfny42 on October 11, 2009, 12:25:48 PM ---Many of the AC manufacturers rooms did sound good....but they still don't get the coverage that the "Big" boys get....not until they make big waves.

The "name brands" still hold forth....and do pay for bigger ads...

--- End quote ---

To that point.. I think Audiogon is owned by Stereophile now.. so, that may bias their coverage a bit...

-C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version