Author Topic: Merason Frerot DAC  (Read 6397 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Merason Frerot DAC
« on: March 17, 2021, 08:25:54 AM »
  The Little brother to the DAC-1 Straight forward 44.1 DAC with no DSD, MQA, up sampling, over sampling. USB 24/192 for streaming. This DAC will bring it and bring it really well. Check out the audiobeatnick review. $1250 retail. www.audiobeatnik.com

charles
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:28:31 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Merason Frerot DAC
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 11:44:46 AM »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
Charles,

This is a better link.

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-merason-frerot-dac-a-new-swiss-contender

Thank you Nick I suck on the computer appreciated from the old Guy.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »
Charles,

This is a better link.

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-merason-frerot-dac-a-new-swiss-contender

Thank you Nick I suck on the computer appreciated from the old Guy.

charles

Glad to help out, Charles. Have you had a chance to listen to the Merason DAC1? Retails for around $5,000. Read a nice review on it.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline scoobyscrappy

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »
I have about 30 hours on the Merason Frerot and it sounds musical.  I cannot fairly compare it to my ancient Squeezebox 3 DAC.  I was looking for a DAC with some punch because it will frontend my ANK K1 300b amp and Charney Audio Maestro speakers.  I was looking at the SW1X 2 DAC but did not want another large device and the Merason Frerot was smaller and less expensive.  I made the right choice so I am letting the DAC burn in before I add a RP4 for the source.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 02:03:50 PM »
I have about 30 hours on the Merason Frerot and it sounds musical.  I cannot fairly compare it to my ancient Squeezebox 3 DAC.  I was looking for a DAC with some punch because it will frontend my ANK K1 300b amp and Charney Audio Maestro speakers.  I was looking at the SW1X 2 DAC but did not want another large device and the Merason Frerot was smaller and less expensive.  I made the right choice so I am letting the DAC burn in before I add a RP4 for the source.

First of all, I see that you’re new and it’s your 1st post. Welcome  :thumb: Are your amp and speakers broken in? Did you get the Voxative driver?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline scoobyscrappy

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I had the speakers for about nine months and they have the Voxativ AC1.6 drivers.  I selected the speakers because I liked full range drivers and price/value ratio of driver to speaker was exceptional as well as the glowing reviews of the Charney Audio speakers.  In the future, I can swap in other 8" drivers.  Brian Charney recommended the AC 2.6 or possibly the AER drivers.

I had the amp for six months but only a month with my NOS RCA tubes.

I did not have an opportunity to separate the Merason Frerot DAC impact on my music because I installed it a few days after I swapped in the NOS tubes.  I was too anxious to replace my Squeezebox DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 11:13:57 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I had the speakers for about nine months and they have the Voxativ AC1.6 drivers.  I selected the speakers because I liked full range drivers and price/value ratio of driver to speaker was exceptional as well as the glowing reviews of the Charney Audio speakers.  In the future, I can swap in other 8" drivers.  Brian Charney recommended the AC 2.6 or possibly the AER drivers.

I had the amp for six months but only a month with my NOS RCA tubes.

I did not have an opportunity to separate the Merason Frerot DAC impact on my music because I installed it a few days after I swapped in the NOS tubes.  I was too anxious to replace my Squeezebox DAC.

Ok, thanks. Pls keep us posted on how things progress
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »
Howdy, new guy!

Nice choice in gear, BTW!  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 05:47:42 PM »
Love the Voxativ driver sound. At RMAF, there is a vendor that sets up in the main lobby, and plays piano music through his Voxativ based speakers. It ALWAYS sounded like I was walking by a live piano player. Great stuff. Welcome aboard Scooby.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
  OK verdict in. After 750 hours it is fully broken in. As a dedicated 44.1 player, no DSD, NO MQA, NO up sampling or over sampling it is a harmonic wonder. So easy to listen to. Great tonality, decay of harmonics off the charts. USB supports 24/192 when available.

charles

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 01:18:15 PM »
  OK verdict in. After 750 hours it is fully broken in. As a dedicated 44.1 player, no DSD, NO MQA, NO up sampling or over sampling it is a harmonic wonder. So easy to listen to. Great tonality, decay of harmonics off the charts. USB supports 24/192 when available.

charles

Thanks for the report, Charles. Great that you allow so may hours for each component to sound it’s best  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 07:48:26 AM »

Welcome. Good choice. It only gets better with break-in. Paired with the Innuos Zen Mini and out board power supply a clear winner..Enjoy !!

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »
Love the Voxativ driver sound. At RMAF, there is a vendor that sets up in the main lobby, and plays piano music through his Voxativ based speakers. It ALWAYS sounded like I was walking by a live piano player. Great stuff. Welcome aboard Scooby.

Nothing like single driver speakers IMHO. My other preference a two way design.

charles