Author Topic: amp recommendations  (Read 9617 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: amp recommendations
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
If you want to push the envelope a little the Bob Carver 275 is a great little single chassis amp. I heard it at CAF and thought it sounded better than his $9500 350 watt mono blocks.

It puts out 75 wpc and is speced at only 19 lbs (I don’t know how he was able to pull that off, that is Lee’s than most 75w s amps.) Unfortunately at $2750 it is a bit out of your budget, but if you can squeeze a few extra bucks to shed a considerable amount of weight it might be an option.

Info here:

https://jimclarkstereo.com/audioquest-bob-carver-elac-stereo-equipment/Bob-Carver-Crimson-275-Stereo-Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-p115352773

(It’s so much fun spending other people money.  :D )

First off, I am glad that you...and BobM...like the idea of spending my audio 💰  :roll:
I’ve heard of Bob Carver and thought he was quite an older fellow, but a web search set me straight that he’s quite a bit younger. I remember buying my mom one of his integrated amps many years ago, but geez, it did not sound good. I remember his famous amplifier challenge in the 80s that he could duplicate the sound of any expensive amp in 48 hours as I recall.

This 275 amp is amazing in that it is 19 pounds and has such a small footprint. It is easy on the eyes as well, especially since it will reside in my living room. It is easy to bias and he gives a five year guarantee on tubes. There’s a lot to like here and the price really isn’t too bad. I’ll be looking for more info and reviews tonight. Thanks for making me aware of it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:20:08 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 10:19:27 PM »
Nick I think you are going to have a hard time finding any stereo tube amp that ar much less than 50 lbs if for no reason other than the required transformers. Maybe you should think of a pair of tube mono blocks. I had a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos that weighed a little under 30 lbs each. Very easy braising using an adjustment screw and an LED both easily located on the top of the chassis. They were very stable and never gave me any trouble. 40 wpc and under $2k for the pair, brand new. A google search will turn up lots of discussions about them.

They just might check off all of your boxes.

More info here:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/QUICKSILVERMID.html

Tom,
I’ve known about Quicksilver and nearly bought his gear years ago. Afaik, it has a reputation for build quality and reliability. I think monos are a great idea, assuming they’ll fit on my rack. The Arion HS 500s that Charles recommended would be fine, but they haven’t sold on the used market in a while. I sent an email to Bob Latino about the VTA ST amps and I hope to talk to him tomorrow. I can’t find info on the weight of those amps and I want to discuss the biasing procedure. I’ll do some reading tonight on the Quicksilvers.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 03:32:11 PM »

First off, I am glad that you...and BobM...like the idea of spending my audio 💰  :roll:

Hey, what are friends for.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 07:31:27 PM »
I’ve looked into the Carver Crimson 275 and VTA ST 70 & 120 amps a bit more. It seems that Frank Malitz and EJ Sarmiento bought Carver a couple of years ago and that Bob Carver now does design work for them. It appears the 275 is the first offering and a Carver integrated will be next. The Carver 275 has been getting very favorable comments and has been in demand. I looked at comments from the Steve Hoffman and Audiokarma forums, YouTube etc.  I did recall a couple of comments about transformer buzz and speaker hiss. But one of the forum members suggested to return the amp under warranty. The amp has a meter and biasing is simple 👍  It’s a consideration.

I was able to speak with Bob Latino today about the VTA ST amps. Nice guy..answered all my questions. A couple of things I didn’t care for:
1) the inputs are on the front panel, so I either need to run the ICs under the amp which has only 3/8” clearance or run the ICs around each side and use right angle adapters - if I go underneath, I’d need to raise the height of the amp
2) the power cord is hard-wired and only 2 prong - there isn’t room for an iec connector, but my favorite power cord can be hard-wired
3) he doesn’t offer any other chassis

I can add some upgrades. He has a tech in Arizona who would assemble it. I would never attempt a kit. The weight of both amps is in the mid 30 lb range. It would be a better value than the Carver, although the Carver is reasonably priced. It’s a consideration.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 08:20:48 PM »
Nick

The fact that EJ is one of the owners of the Company now would be a very favorable consideration for me plus the fact that they are now being built in EJ's factory where Rick Cullen also works.  The five year warranty is another bonus.  If you think the power output of the ST-70 is enough for you then I would look at Frank's Ultravalve version of the same circuit.  Were the temperatures in West Florida not a consideration for eight months of the year I would love to give the Carver a try.  I had the Rogue ST-100 here for a couple of months but just couldn't take the heat and couldn't justify keeping it to just be able to use it a couple of months a year.  My little Music Reference RM-10 lets me do tube when I get the urge and it doesn't operate like a space heater and with 35wpc will drive everything I have to reasonably loud levels.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 09:05:54 PM »
Nick

The fact that EJ is one of the owners of the Company now would be a very favorable consideration for me plus the fact that they are now being built in EJ's factory where Rick Cullen also works.  The five year warranty is another bonus.  If you think the power output of the ST-70 is enough for you then I would look at Frank's Ultravalve version of the same circuit.  Were the temperatures in West Florida not a consideration for eight months of the year I would love to give the Carver a try.  I had the Rogue ST-100 here for a couple of months but just couldn't take the heat and couldn't justify keeping it to just be able to use it a couple of months a year.  My little Music Reference RM-10 lets me do tube when I get the urge and it doesn't operate like a space heater and with 35wpc will drive everything I have to reasonably loud levels.

Jack,
I figured you and other guys here would know these names. Certainly is reassuring as to your positive comments. I think I’d be satisfied with the improvement that most of the amps mentioned would offer. I just want to get away from the more analytical sound I’ve lived with so long. I don’t know what to expect from a tube amp. I had the VAC 90s and an RM 9 many years ago and they didn’t utilize that many tubes as I recall. It does get hot in So Utah, but not usually very humid. So I think I’d be fine with a tube amp all year long. I can live with some air conditioning noise and am not one to unplug my refrigerator when I listen. Frank told me he’s about 6 weeks out and Bob said 3-4 weeks. I’ll keep pondering this and also checking HIFI Shark and the usual sites for used gear .
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »
Based on my Mivera which short of a couple of differences in connectors is the same as your amp the only thing it has in common with Frank's SET amps are that they are both amps.  To my ears using a number of different speakers the SET is a warmer more full bodied amp than the hybrid BHK and even the RM-10. I've only ever seen two SET 400's come up for sale in over a year and both of the belonged to audiojem (Jeff) on AC.  The first one, black, he sold to me and bought the silver to go with his Pass preamp and then when he couldn't get what he wanted for his Pass amps he kept them and sold the silver SET400 too. 
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »
Based on my Mivera which short of a couple of differences in connectors is the same as your amp the only thing it has in common with Frank's SET amps are that they are both amps.  To my ears using a number of different speakers the SET is a warmer more full bodied amp than the hybrid BHK and even the RM-10. I've only ever seen two SET 400's come up for sale in over a year and both of the belonged to audiojem (Jeff) on AC.  The first one, black, he sold to me and bought the silver to go with his Pass preamp and then when he couldn't get what he wanted for his Pass amps he kept them and sold the silver SET400 too.

Yes, Frank told me they are hard to find. :roll:  small needle in very big haystack... heck, I’d be fine with a SET 120
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »
Unless you play the Carrera's really loud then I think you are probably right and with the price and shipping weight of the SET 120 it's well worth trying it out for 30 days and finding out for yourself.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2021, 10:50:49 PM »
Unless you play the Carrera's really loud then I think you are probably right and with the price and shipping weight of the SET 120 it's well worth trying it out for 30 days and finding out for yourself.

Well, I kinda do play them loud... But the price is right. As you’re so familiar with the Mivera, your comments are a great reference point for me. That black chassis on the SET 120 is still an improvement over the prior ones  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 10:14:31 PM »
I found a used AVA SET 120 Control Amp on Agon for a very good price. It’s an absolutely wonderful amp! Resolves better than my iCE amp, great imaging, wonderful improvement in tonality/ textures. Love the richer midrange and that’s exactly what I was hoping for.

I looked at all the suggestions here and price, weight, re-sellability, connector locations etc all factored into it. There was another amp project being considered with a well-known member here, but if it happens, it’ll be a ways off. It would be a super-tweaked tube design.

For now, I’m loving this solid state little marvel  :thumb  Thanks, Jack, for the wonderful recommendation!

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2021, 10:23:16 PM »
Congrats Nick.  I was talking to Fritz this afternoon and he was one too along with the SET 400 that he is using in house.  I suspect my SET 400/Don Sachs combo will be with me for a while. 
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »
I have no doubt that it’s quite good. I’m just leaning towards not doing another class D...

Nick, FWIW, the Class D amp you currently have is an ICE amp, a repackaged B&O module, maybe with some tweaks by who ever packaged it up. The Cherry amplifiers are a fully independent proprietary design. The Orchard Amps are also a fully independent proprietary design utilizing GaN (Gallium Nitride) transistors, so they are all likely to have fairly different sonic signatures. Just some food for thought before you offhandedly disregard the idea ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
I have no doubt that it’s quite good. I’m just leaning towards not doing another class D...

Nick, FWIW, the Class D amp you currently have is an ICE amp, a repackaged B&O module, maybe with some tweaks by who ever packaged it up. The Cherry amplifiers are a fully independent proprietary design. The Orchard Amps are also a fully independent proprietary design utilizing GaN (Gallium Nitride) transistors, so they are all likely to have fairly different sonic signatures. Just some food for thought before you offhandedly disregard the idea ;)

Hi Barry,
I did end up buying a used AVA SET 120 Control Amp for less than 1k which is a great bargain. It’s a detailed and wonderfully musical amp. I had thought about Leo’s monos and also about some used Arion monos (Charles had recommended them), but the Dueland cap upgrade which I wanted, would have cost me $900. Just way too high a price for that.
As to class D, I’ve also read great things about the Merrills and AGD. Am just very happy right now with my first time purchase of a Van Alstine amp
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2021, 03:21:41 PM »
Hi Barry,
I did end up buying a used AVA SET 120 Control Amp for less than 1k which is a great bargain. It’s a detailed and wonderfully musical amp. I had thought about Leo’s monos and also about some used Arion monos (Charles had recommended them), but the Dueland cap upgrade which I wanted, would have cost me $900. Just way too high a price for that.
As to class D, I’ve also read great things about the Merrills and AGD. Am just very happy right now with my first time purchase of a Van Alstine amp
Nick

Excellent! As long as you're happy, it's all good!
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...