Author Topic: Anybody know anything about this tube?  (Read 8774 times)

Mike L

Anybody know anything about this tube?
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »
So I decided to test my tubes in my amps and it turns out my 5687 input tubes tested quite weak. I just replaced them not that long ago...I guess my amps are hard on them? Anyway, I am trying to avoid Parts Connexion because I didn't really have a great experience purchasing tubes from them the last time. Therefore, the only other source up here is the TubeStore. I like them but this is the only 5687 that they carry. Anybody, know anything about it? (what a drug out post for such a simple question)

http://thetubestore.com/nos-5687.html

Thanks,
Mike

Black Sand Cable

Re: Anybody know anything about this tube?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
Mike,

I don't know anything about the place you have listed but I have dealt with the guys below and always had good service.

www.tubeaudioproducts.com (Ontario)

Also, a lot of Sonic Frontiers / Anthem gear use the same tube so you may want to try a few dealers and see if they sell them.

If all else fails, there are a fair number of 5687's up for sale on Canuck Audio Mart at the moment.

Mike L

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »
Thanks John.  I never heard of that source.  I will check the CAM as well.

Regards,
Mike

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that Audio Note is big on the 5687 also.

Have you ever tried to replace the 5687's with either the 6900 or the 7044 as they are supposed to be plug-in replacements?

Mike L

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »
 I have not.  I just remember people talking about the Bendix 6900 (uber expensive) as it related to the Modwright preamp. 

I can't believe how short of a lifespan these had.  I just put them in there what 5 or 6 months ago and they are testing below 20% now.  These are my second 5687's since I have had these amps.  These amps still have the original 6922 (2 each) inputs and they are off the charts on the merit tests.  I don't think I want to put anything expensive in there, given the short life expectancy.  I am not even sure if they have that significant affect on the sound.  Maybe I will try those IBM's and find out.  For the price it couldn't hurt.  Oh, these were Tung Sols by the way. 

Search came up empty on CAM for 5687.  I will try 7044.

What a terrible rambling post!

Thanks,
Mike

edit:  here is another one

http://thetubestore.com/nos-7044.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:14:17 PM by Mike L »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 05:26:44 AM »
There is a good selection at http://TubeDepot.com I have bought from them many times with always a good experience. I get fast email replies to my questions. My very best tubes are their "black sable" cryoed RCA 12au7s. They have good prices on 5687's too. $7-20 for NOS. Their matching is accurate IME.

I use 7044 in my amps as driver, swappable to 5687, but I have not done it since the circuit is otimized for 7044. This is probably how yours are being used too, as output. The 6922 would be a better choice as input, I think, but every designer has his own way. I think Modwright uses them in/out. Definitely ask the mfg about the life expectancy of the tube in this circuit, and make sure you don't have a problem. These are handmade products and mistakes can be made. He should fix his own mistake for free no matter what the warrantee period.

Mike L

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:56:11 AM »
They are monoblocks and both of them tested very weak....unlikely something is wrong with both of them.  They are my second pair while the 6922's in them (2 each) are original and they still test off the charts.  I purchased some TungSol 5687's from the TubeDepot before which is about a 2 week wait to get them up here.  One of them is badly microphonic.  I have them in the Modwright pre and if I turn the input selector knob my bass driver does quite the kick out of its basket...not pretty.  If I just tap on the face of either the modwright or cd player I can hear it come out of the speaker.

I contacted TubeAudioProducts as per John's suggestion and they have 5687 "D" getter's from the 50's in stock.  I think I will be loading up on those.

Thanks all,
Mike

PS. Probably controversial but does cryogenically treating them increase the lifespan at all.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:27 AM »
mike.
                I have had great sucess with Vintage tube service. I own a Consonance Cyber 211 which uses 6922 as input and 5687 as driver. I use a Tunngsol 5687 and either Amperex 6DJ8 or Matushita 6922 for input with great results. What stock tubes did Consonance supply you ?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Mike L

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
Stock 5687 I believe is Phillips (I have since swapped with TungSols)
Stock 6922 is EH
and power tubes are EH 6CA7.  I also have some JJ E34L's that I ran with other speakers I had.  However, since I got the Ushers, which are more detailed I have found the JJ too bright and edgy, even though they are much more dynamic and airier.  I have a Droplet coming....when that arrives I will try the JJ's again.

How is the life expectancy of your 5687's?  Are they used the same way in the circuit?  If yours last a lot longer this is something I could ask of Joe at Ultraviolet.

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:35:56 AM by Mike L »

Mike L

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
So, I contacted Joe at Ultraviolet Audio and he felt that there is reason for concern that they deteriorated so quickly.  He said that he has seen amplifiers out there with original ones going strong after several years.  He told me to install new ones and monitor them.

Thanks,
Mike

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »
Mike,

I'm not sure if they have the ones you are after but here is another Canuck alternative:

http://www.audiyo.com/product_cat.php?plid=34

Mike L

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »
Thanks John

I contacted Alfred from Tube Audio Products and they have the ones that I am looking for.  I emailed him this morning regarding pricing and payment etc. but I am still waiting to here back from him.

Thanks,
Mike

tanchiro58

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »
Mike,

Have you double checked whether the microphonics from 6922s or 5687s? I would think 6922 tubes are the one caused microphonics. I have never experienced 5687's microphonics. I believe 7308s are less microphonic than other families of 6922s. I found that PCC189 tubes have NO microphonic or NO buzzing sound. Good luck.

Tan

Mike L

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »
The microphonic ones are in the preamp, which are 5687's,

Thanks,
Mike

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
Stock 5687 I believe is Phillips (I have since swapped with TungSols)
Stock 6922 is EH
and power tubes are EH 6CA7.  I also have some JJ E34L's that I ran with other speakers I had.  However, since I got the Ushers, which are more detailed I have found the JJ too bright and edgy, even though they are much more dynamic and airier.  I have a Droplet coming....when that arrives I will try the JJ's again.

How is the life expectancy of your 5687's?  Are they used the same way in the circuit?  If yours last a lot longer this is something I could ask of Joe at Ultraviolet.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike my Consonance  Cyber 211 was hard on the 5687 as well. I think it is run at close to full voltage but not sure. Maybe I shold give Joe a call as well. He is a great guy always willing to help. We finally got a good importer who CARES.

charles 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.