Author Topic: TACT 2.2 Mini Question  (Read 9343 times)

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
TACT 2.2 Mini Question
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »
I am experimenting with a Tact 2.2 Mini and I have some questions about the results I am getting with the correction curves. I am trying to determine if the results are due to a mic or unit malfunction or just need some messaging. I know it is a trial and error type of application and I have read available help files but the correction result is unlistenable.Thanks for any input anyone may have.Also I am already a member of the Yahoo Tact group and there is some info there but not enough to answer my questions.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: TACT 2.2 Mini Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »
Just some guessing until the Tact pros arrive:

When you do a scan does the FR of the room look as expected?  Lumpy in the bottom, smoothing out gradually toward the top?  Run the scan chirps 10x so you have some data to average.

Clean the mic connections.

Be sure to set your correction curve below the scanned curve so preamp only cuts, not boosts, unless it is a small boost (<3dB @ >500Hz.)

Try pure flat correction first just to get your bearings straight.
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
I'm not familiar with the 2.2 Mini but I do have a 2.0s.   Rich's advice is good.  Start out simple.   Keep the correction curve below the measured curve.   Don't overdrive the volume on the "test".

But, when you say unlistenable, what do you mean?   While it's easy to produce a resulting correction that sounds worse than in bypass, I've rarely run into something that is simply unlistenable.   

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
Mike and Rich--thanks for getting back with some advice and feedback and sorry for not responding sooner. Right after I posted I was out sick for a week and then did a remove/replacement of the floor in my  listening room. So equipment was down for a couple of weeks too.

I have a small dedicated 10 X 12 room (concrete slab) and the old carpet needed to go. I replaced it with Armstrong peel and stick tiles and plan to use an area rug to help the acoustic.

Anyway I found the problem with the correction curve. I had not engaged ( mashed for us southerners) bypass prior to doing the sweep so the result was totally FU. So it totally was a goober thing on my part.  ( I need to reread the instructions and they were clear to have the unit in bypass mode).

The first impression is that the image does not sound like it is in a barrel ( as it does in bypass) and the whole soundstage sounds correctly placed and balanced.

Remember this is a small room by any standard and the result of correction is more pronounced. Bass is more accurate and does not pollute the midrange.

I think that value wise the Tact equipment is unparalleled. Consider what you get in the Mini or 2.0S: preamp, DAC, ADC, and room correction all in one unit.

I am still experimenting but I see this unit as a HUGE improvement in my system -- more than any one single addition I have ever done.

Yea I know Tact is not perfect and there are is some downside but overall it opens a more accurate window onto the performance in my setup.

Components:
Sony 222ES --> Tact Mini 2.2--> Sim Audio 5 --> Zu Druid

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »
Awesome Steve!!! Sounds like Tact is really git'nit (as NY'ers say). In a small room it ust be a big help. I didn't know you had Druids... that's cool!  When's your g2g gonna be?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
If physical room correction is not acceptable, the TacT is the solution.  I too found a great deal of enjoyment using the 2.0s.  I actually quite like the 2150 amp also.  I used the 2.0s into a 2150 for a while and found it a great all-digital system.  I think the 2150 could stand some mods to refine it a bit.  I got a bit spoiled with the Maui mods.. In fact, I found with the mods I was listening in bypass mode a lot (but with lots of panels and bass trapping)

I decided I wanted some tube distortion and non-oversampling.. and am building a dedicated room w/ physical room correction... Otherwise, it would've made sense to keep the Tact setup.  In fact, I'm hoping MDConnely will bring it by to hear and compare at a G2G later this year.  BTW, after building a dedicated room, I've learned there is a LOT of value with the TacT. ;)

Glad you figured out the little snafu.  There is a definite learning curve and I must say my local dealer, Shane/hometheaterdoc was a huge help getting it setup and working... an with other issues during my experiments with TacT gear. 

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
Carl, I'll certainly bring the 2.0s.  Count on it.   Of course, you've got to finish that basement first  :rofl: 

To be honest, I find myself listening in bypass more and more frequently.   As good as the Tact room correction is, to my ears and in my room, I think bypass is a bit more transparent.   But then, there is no end to tweaking the RCS on this thing so who knows what's in store.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »
Basement is making progress every day. :)  This week it's the final coat of paint, electrical comes on, and plumbing is finished.  Next 2 weeks the HVAC comes alive and the floors go in... if all goes well.

As to the Tact in 'bypass'... I think since it bypasses the processing required to do RCS, it does get a little more transparent.  If your room benefits more from RCS, it's worth the slight decrease in transparency.  To me, the preamp sounded awesome on its own, compared in bypass mode to other preamps in the 2-5,k range.  It definitely held its own in 'shootouts'.  The fact that it also had RCS was a real bonus. 

To get the best of both worlds, you'll have to do physical room treatments and leave it in bypass.. or live with the imperfections produced by your room... or the slight lack of transparency. 

decisions, decisions... ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
Imperfections?  My room?   WutUtalknbout?  :rofl:

The reason I bought the Tact was because my listening room is our living room and keeping the family happy is always a good thing (but I do so envy you that room, Carl!).   Be that as it may, my room sounds better than it has any right to sound these days and I totally agree that the Tact is an exceptional preamp and DAC all by itself.   I find that when attempting to critically compare equipment such as I'm doing now with the RSA Jaco & Equi=tech 1.5Q power conditioners, running it in bypass gives me just a little more insight on the differences.  But once I settle on a configuration, I will retake Tact measurements to see how it all sorts out.