Author Topic: One note bass  (Read 10028 times)

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: One note bass
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
You might also try tapestries,Persian rugs or Navajo rugs or blankets as well Amish quilts where ever you don't have a drape. Some of the Amish quilts look stunning when hung on wall and viewed as a piece of art and not a bed covering.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
Thanks Mike, that sounds reeeally cool. I tried a tact processor courtesy hometheaterdoc and it worked pretty well fixing bass issues in the big room. I know that's not what you're doing, but the idea of EQing when all passive options have been used up is a good idea. Because I have a lot more treatment options in the tiny room, I will do some passive first, then see what needs. I will definitely keep the office as a listening space, even after the Ushers come back out. Every man needs a cave.  8)

Good ideas for softening Scotty, thanks. That is how we will proceed.
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »
Doing the EQ in the bass offers 90% of the benefits with no drawbacks.

Even so, going as far as possible with room treatment is definitely first.  EQ won't fix a broken room.  However, except in truly unusual situations I believe passive only cannot achieve what passive + EQ can.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:17:16 PM by miklorsmith »

mgalusha

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 01:15:49 PM »
I used a tapestry in our old house over the fireplace, it made a very nice improvement and was attractive enough that my wife liked it better than the fireplace brick it covered. :)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 07:27:22 PM »
I need to find a tapestry or wall decor seller that is a little upscale, sells stuff not made on a machine in China with Tuscan sunrise and Monet. I like Scotties vision of handmade wall art. In the giant world of "nice things" a certain portion of those things are soft and fluffy. Filling the room up with them in whatever form is not hard, except in paying for it. Nice things whether hard or soft all cost the same.

Tonight's listening made a big impression on me. SteveB stopped by this afternoon and listened a little, but then I forgot to shut the tube amps off so by 8pm they were all warmed up and sounding great. I moved the Feastrex out from the wall and put the box trap down to the floor and things got a lot better. I really enjoyed listening, and thinking about what else can take it further. Bass is still a little blurred, but geting better. There is no one note bass with the Feastrex. Imaging is incredible, but not as deep as in the big room. I'm excited about the possibilities.

Bryan, the box trap on the floor made a big difference for the better.  The feastrex speakers with the room boost have nice punch and low frequency response.  A touch of fast sub would make it very satisfying.
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »
I hope Feastrex has a nice demo, I really want to hear them.

bacobits

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
I use a 4X4 small quilt my wife made. She has been making all kinds of quilts for years.

If your willing to pay the price $300+ for finished quilts full size check out quilt shops.
Hell my wife will make you one for $300 custom to your choice of size and colors.
These places usually have them hanging for sale. My wife just dragged me to a higher class place in Greensboro
called Randy's Quilt shop.

I have also seen sheep skin rugs ( $35-45 ea) put on the walls available from the Ikea Store in Boston.

Whoowee, as far as using the Living room it is out of the question here and always would be.

Den
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:21:06 AM by bacobits »