Author Topic: G2G at Rich's January 31  (Read 18504 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: G2G at Rich's January 31
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 07:08:03 AM »
If you want to setup the upstairs room as a 'B' system, I can bring the Era Design 5's and stands... They're sitting in a corner unplayed at the moment.. along with the Sol-modded MF amp.

I can also bring the Nixon tube DAC that now has a better tube in it... So, I'll at least bring that and the phono pre.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
I just got back from a wonderful visit to Carl's. The music room is almost ready for sheetrock, and it is very exciting to be in there. The future site of so much good listening and good times.

Carl sent me home with the Era speakers and a nice Focal sub, to make the upstairs system. I'll have it playing by tonight, but I have hear this a few times, it is really sweet. Sols i30 should make a perfect compliment, plus we have the infamous Altmann BYOB battery amplifier which is a fantastic match to the Eras.

Yes Carl, please do bring the DAC at least, and the phono too, if you feel like schlepping them both. DAC can convert Sonos to analog, and Minimax phono preamp can serve TT duty downstairs.

No replies on food preferences so I'm making my own choices.  :-P

Still lookin for a nice headphone amp.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
Catering the Italian place has been nixed by the CFO. Sorry guys! So I am cooking again, but this time I will have three helpers, so it should be done before anyone gets here. Just fair warning for any of you who were only coming for Daniels Italian, you better stop there on the way...  :D  I will make richidoo's famous meatballs, spaghetto, and I think a vegetarian lasagne, insalata, sweets.  I have a couple sixes of weird beer St Bridget's (thanks to LW!) and Newcastle, a couple Miller Lites. Bring whatever else you prefer.

The second system is running upstairs, sounds excellent. Thanks Carl! I had a question aboutthe setup today so I emailed signal Path. They called me back within 10 minutes and had a nice intelligent conversation with Dave, the principle. Impressive service! As are these little speakers.

I will have Squeezecenter 7.4 beta running on my XP P4 for Ken's transporter and my SB upstairs. I have a CDP to feed the Altman DAC upstairs, and stereofools Raysonic and Ken's Transporter downstairs. Sol is trying to get one of his headphone amps which can be powered by a Sonos and Carl's Nixon DAC. Of course all this can be shuffled around as desired.

Thanks to hometheaterdoc and stereofool , we should be able to listen to All Aluminata vs All SC3 ICs and SCs, fwiw....

I would like to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Equitech Q power conditioner with various amps.

Bring some music you like, grab a drink and head for the sweet spot!

ik632

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
Would you still like me to bring the new/old Technics amp? It sound pretty darned good and is all cleaned up.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »
Yeah, Nick! That's cool!

The menu is still evolving. God knows what it will be, but something good.  :D

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
What cartridge are you running on the turntable? MC or MM? If using a MC be sure to hook up to the Low MC Output in the back of the Mini.
 Hopefully you have some nice 12AX7's.
 Have a great day, wish I could be there.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

ik632

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43:01 AM »
Mind if Corrie and Logan come too? I figure she could drop me off and if Logan gets too fussy just take him for a walk. Weather looks good so he may have fun riding around in the stroller outside.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »
There is a chance I won't be there until a little later.... Maybe as late as 5... but hopefully sooner.
I've got a DAC, Integrated amp, and phono pre sitting in a stack waiting to go...
-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
Hey guys! Today's the day.  Homemade chili (meat and vegetarian pots), baked potatoes and sweets!

Nick, Corrie and Logan are welcome of course! I'll finally get to meet the little bugger. Be advised we don't have a microwave or high chair, but feel free to bring anything. My kids will be around too.

Bill, I wish you could be here too. We'll use my Shure MM cart today.

mdconnelly has a cold, won't be coming   :cry:  But it should be a full house, maybe 20 guys.  :shock:

See you soon!
Rich

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
I'm sitting home eating my heart out...  Sure wish I could share the day with you guys.

I'll probably work on my taxes to get cheered up!

Have a great listen,
Edward

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
I'm sitting home eating my heart out...  Sure wish I could share the day with you guys.

Same here!   I hate to miss another G2G.... but I trust you'll post pictures and such while I nurse this cold.

Bigfish8

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
I just arrived home from a really fun G2G at Rich's home this evening.  Thank you Rich for the fantastic hospitality and excellent Chili!  There was lots of great equipment and a fun social evening with a terrific bunch of guys!  I will write more tomorrow.

Ken

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »
Rich...thanks again, for your awesome hospitality!!!

It was great to see everyone again, and well as meet a new face (Eric).

I stayed downstairs the whole time...so everything pretty much sounded great.

My eyelids are about to slam shut...so I'll see if I can gather my thoughts later...today  :shock:!

I'm supposed to be in bed...long before now  :lol:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 06:25:58 AM »
What a great G2G!  Thanks a million, Rich.  Great hosting as always.  You're a class act. 8)

To me the stars of the show were Sol's 30w amp, the Raysonic 128 cdp, and the Technics receiver that Nick brought.  I connected to the music extremely well with those pieces in the chain... and of course, I liked my Scott Nixon DAC and was quite pleased at how well it faired with the new tube (Jolida 6DJ8).  It was my favorite because it's the kind of sound I like... but I think it was 'in the ballpark' of the rest of the high-end digital sources we compared.

Fun times... Looking forward to having my own G2G this summer. :)

Thanks again!

-Carl

ik632

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »
Thanks Rich. It was great as always and it's always fun to go and hear some really nice equipment.