Author Topic: GALLO SPEAKERS  (Read 5065 times)

Offline zerojeff

Re: GALLO SPEAKERS
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 07:10:00 AM »
Barry, mine were aluminum and boy I wish I had those back. Paired with upgraded Quicksilver 8417’s they were very intimate and lifelike.

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 07:47:33 AM »

I think the Aluminum enclosure Solo, was probably the ultimate speaker Anthony designed. I think the TWW configuration of the early Reference designs, and their minimalist (lack of a) crossover, combined to cause a very slight out of phase with the tweeter and lower woofer. The more minimal TW design of the Solo escaped this. And the Aluminum enclosure just had a more clear and transparent sound than the Polyethylene offered.

I don't know anything about the Polyethylene enclosure you mention for the Nucleus model that IIRC was available alongside the Solos circa mid to late 1990s.  Same concept / design, just with an additional woofer sphere and higher in the Gallo lineup.   Never seen the poly in person nor in a photo, and I've never heard of it nor read about it.

Both my pair of Nucleus Ref 2s (the 2 ball model)  had aluminum spheres.  As did another local pair of Ref 2s that I was in the same room with.

And like Zerojeff, there are times that I too regret selling mine.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:52:19 AM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
  I just shake my head every time I hear my Buddy's Spheres modified by Mapleshade. Lifelike is correct. It is an ALL Maplshade system from TT/PRE/ DAC to Amps using Omega Micro Cabling. Hi Sydney.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
I don't know anything about the Polyethylene enclosure you mention for the Nucleus model that IIRC was available alongside the Solos circa mid to late 1990s.  Same concept / design, just with an additional woofer sphere and higher in the Gallo lineup.   Never seen the poly in person nor in a photo, and I've never heard of it nor read about it.

Both my pair of Nucleus Ref 2s (the 2 ball model)  had aluminum spheres.  As did another local pair of Ref 2s that I was in the same room with.

And like Zerojeff, there are times that I too regret selling mine.

Well, there's a photo of the poly enclosure Solo in my earlier post on this thread. Note that you call the speakers "Ref 2s", the 2 was for the second iteration, not 2 spheres. I have the original add flyers form both the early and second gen Gallo speakers.
I purchased my early versions directly from Anthony's basement in Brooklyn in '92 or 3.  I had my references upgraded to Ref 2s at his modest factory in Brooklyn in '95 or 6, as things were going well, and he'd moved out of his basement. I can try to scan the flyers and post them here. I may have some more personal pictures as well, but as that was pre digital era photography, I may have difficulty putting my hands on the pix.

P.S. The naming convention was Nucleus Solo (single sphere) and Nucleus Reference (2 spheres).
There was also a Nucleus Minor, that used a concentric MidWoofer-Tweeter (similar to many KEF speakers. I think it was actually a KEF driver).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:17:19 AM by Barry (NJ) »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »
Here are the brochures I mentioned.

The early polyethylene version of the speakers...

Early Gallo 1 by Barry, on Flickr

Early Gallo 2 by Barry, on Flickr

Early Gallo 3 by Barry, on Flickr

The later aluminum version...

IMG_20200302_195131 by Barry, on Flickr

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »
I dig the box racks.