Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Break down of pin connectors

<< < (2/2)

Folsom:
I'm saying some of the heat might be from a poor connection. It's like how a small wire will be hotter than a bigger one under the same load.

S Clark:
I get what you're saying.  Except George seemed to know exactly where to go on this.  I'd put money that it's a bad idea to put a heat generating diode into a pin connector that isn't designed for heat.   My guess is that it was a poor design choice by George that was fixed in later models.  But to his credit, I was able to avoid the whole over the top box building to keep the apes at Fed Ex/UPS from destroying what ever is inside.  I can't tell you how I was dreading boxing and shipping that amp. 

ejk:

--- Quote from: S Clark on January 27, 2023, 02:46:35 PM ---I do find it interesting that my last two major equipment failures were due to faulty connections in pin connectors...  And the things are ubiquitous in stereo gear.  Just like cleaning and tightening other connections, I'd certainly pull the covers off amps, preamps, phono stages, etc at least occasionally and use a little Caig (or equivalent) on them. 

--- End quote ---

Plastic connectors like that are used in auto engine compartments for years and I would think they go through much worse conditions than in an amp. I wouldn't think the auto industry uses anything better.

Glad you fixed your problem :thumb:

S Clark:

--- Quote from: ejk on January 28, 2023, 05:04:08 AM ---
Plastic connectors like that are used in auto engine compartments for years and ...

--- End quote ---
Yes, but I've never seen one plugged into a component with a heat sink.  You don't see a pin connector on a block or exhaust.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version