Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Can we get steve to build us a preamp?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nick B:
That would be very interesting indeed  :thumb:

--- Quote from: doug s. on December 15, 2022, 08:13:29 AM ---i know topround is just posting this to get steve's dander up, but i'd love to try one if it were updated with a $250 tortuga remote control ldr volume pot.  while i know steve prefers the simplicity of no remote, from what i know about light dependent resistor volume controls, there's no electrical degradation of the signal, as the volume level change is effected by increase or decrease of light intensity.  i've experienced it 1st hand w/the melos preamps, and also w/m diyparadise eva.  and the tortuga module can be retrofitted into other bespoke preamps.

https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/electronic-stepped-attenuator-epot-v3-mini/

doug s.

--- End quote ---

Emil:
No remote. No sale.
More of a necessity now with those who primarily stream.

Folsom:
Remotes are the bane of audiophile electronics from the perspective of the manufacturer. They're such a nightmare... Only thing that could be worse is asking for a bespoke VCR player in your DAC.

I'm curious about Steve's stuff, too.

dflee:
Sooooo.
Thus far there is fifteen dollars down on a unit that would go for over 3 grand. At five bucks per donor it will take six hundred people chipping in for one unit and would take 11.54 years for all to try it (providing one week per household). I for one wouldn't want to be near that tour. Good thing I'm not a glass guy. If this is Steve's profession (not a hobby), I feel this is in rather poor taste. I've bought and sold a fair share of equipment and took a loss (buying new) when selling it. Didn't mean it was bad equipment, just not what I preferred but NEVER spoke ill of anyone's products. While I may not agree (or even know) Steve I do read his posts and won't diss the guy. If he ever goes sand I might even be interested in his works.

Don

Nick B:

--- Quote from: dflee on December 15, 2022, 02:57:47 PM ---Sooooo.
Thus far there is fifteen dollars down on a unit that would go for over 3 grand. At five bucks per donor it will take six hundred people chipping in for one unit and would take 11.54 years for all to try it (providing one week per household). I for one wouldn't want to be near that tour. Good thing I'm not a glass guy. If this is Steve's profession (not a hobby), I feel this is in rather poor taste. I've bought and sold a fair share of equipment and took a loss (buying new) when selling it. Didn't mean it was bad equipment, just not what I preferred but NEVER spoke ill of anyone's products. While I may not agree (or even know) Steve I do read his posts and won't diss the guy. If he ever goes sand I might even be interested in his works.

Don

--- End quote ---

Understand your sentiment. I think it would perform very well and I’d love to hear one. But I doubt the necessary parts are available nowadays and I wouldn’t want to pay more than a max of $100 to satisfy my curiosity. I might also be the only one willing to pay that much. It would be nice to hear comments from a current 11A user how it compares to other top notch preamps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version