Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Will Gan Fet replace tubes in the future?

(1/4) > >>

TopRound‎:
I have heard several GAn Fet amps in the last two shows I have been to, and I must say I am impressed, crystalline clarity with color and tone. I can see a good tube pre in front making wonderful tunes.
Is it the same as tubes, not exactly but it moves closer to them than any of the previous topologies I have heard before, IMO.

what say you?
Shall we sword fight?

I think I may buy one for my son. I have an old Dynaco Pass 3 preamp thats been modded, could be a nice combo.

BS artist formerly known as topround

rollo:
  The Dynaco will add some nice color. Liking the LSA Warp -1 class D right now.

charles

steve:
There have been and are inherent flaws in devices and topologies that render the very best
solid A, AB amps sounding different than the very best vacuum tube components.

One of the largest differences are the large ufd electrolytic capacitors in the output stage of the amplifier.
This is due to the comparative low voltage/high current vs the high voltage/low current of tube
output stages. These large capacitors have high DA (dielectric absorption) and ESR (equivalent series
resistance).

Distortion spectra, odd number harmonics vs even harmonics, although HD and IMD can be minimized
with enough global negative feedback. But then some feel GNF has problems as well.

Some solid state devices can have high internal capacitances, high Miller capacitance, high DA of
insulating materials, high ESR of the materials used. Hexfets have been known
to have junction capacitances of .001uf, the junction capacitance varying with voltage applied,
up to ~25 volts.

Other SS devices have quite low capacitances, but still high DA and ESR.

An interesting problem I accidentally encountered decades ago involved bleedthru with reversed biased
1N914, 1N4148 diodes.

Too late to think about more differences.

cheers

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: toopround on November 20, 2022, 02:03:18 PM ---I have heard several GAn Fet amps in the last two shows I have been to, and I must say I am impressed, crystalline clarity with color and tone. I can see a good tube pre in front making wonderful tunes.
Is it the same as tubes, not exactly but it moves closer to them than any of the previous topologies I have heard before, IMO.

what say you?
Shall we sword fight?
 :shock:
I think I may buy one for my son. I have an old Dynaco Pass 3 preamp thats been modded, could be a nice combo.

BS artist formerly known as topround

--- End quote ---

Hmmm…the name sounds familiar ….
Phoenix (mythology) - Wikipedia
Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by rising from the ashes of its predecessor. Some legends say it dies in a show of flames and combustion, others that it simply dies and decomposes before being born again.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: rollo on November 21, 2022, 10:20:14 AM ---  The Dynaco will add some nice color. Liking the LSA Warp -1 class D right now.

charles

--- End quote ---

Charles,
Can you compare the Warp 1 to some other amps? Not just Class D types…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version