Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

solid state amps - always on or turn off when done listening?

<< < (2/7) > >>

ejk:

--- Quote from: Nick B on October 06, 2022, 11:06:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: ejk on October 05, 2022, 11:49:29 PM ---My Sphinx has a power switch in front and a master switch in the back that Rogue recommends leaving it on to keep it warmed up. They say it has no effect on the tube front end.

--- End quote ---

I wish the AVA amp was designed like that. Are you getting any current at all running thru the tubes in standby?

--- End quote ---

I don't think so on the current. I wouldn't know how to measure that. I think the rear panel just keeps the class d modules warmed up from what I remember reading somewhere.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: ejk on October 06, 2022, 12:44:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on October 06, 2022, 11:06:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: ejk on October 05, 2022, 11:49:29 PM ---My Sphinx has a power switch in front and a master switch in the back that Rogue recommends leaving it on to keep it warmed up. They say it has no effect on the tube front end.

--- End quote ---

I wish the AVA amp was designed like that. Are you getting any current at all running thru the tubes in standby?

--- End quote ---

I don't think so on the current. I wouldn't know how to measure that. I think the rear panel just keeps the class d modules warmed up from what I remember reading somewhere.

--- End quote ---

I didn’t think so, but thought I’d ask. I’ve always been curious about the Rogue equipment, but have never been able to hear any at shows or friends homes.

Jack:
The twin switch was how my BHK amp operated. Back switch turned on the Mosfet section and front switch the tubed input stage.  Amp still warm to the touch with front switch off.  All SS amps always on including the SET 400.

steve:
I agree, it takes my system at least 3 hours and preferably 4 hours before it sounds optimum.

Two downsides I see.

1. power bill might raise a couple of dollars.

2. Electrolytic capacitors degrade faster as the temperature rises. The rule of thumb used to be
half life for every 20 degree rise. A better way of putting it is for every 20 degrees below the caps
maximum rating, life was doubled.

So if the cap is rated 85C (185F), at 165 doubled, at 145 four times, 125 eight times, and 105F, 16 times.
Below maximum repetitive current also plays a part in cap life, but one usually doesn't know what that figure is
for a cap in a particular circuit. However, we do know that in preamplifiers, the repetitive current is generally
quite small compared to the max repetitive current rating for a particular electrolytic cap.

Another idea is the change the power switch for double throw, so when the switch is turned off, a power
resistor(s) would heat the component to a certain temperature. Multiple resistors around the chassis
would be even better for even heating. But then, the electrolytics would begin to suffer, depending upon
the temperature set.

cheers

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on October 06, 2022, 09:07:16 PM ---I agree, it takes my system at least 3 hours and preferably 4 hours before it sounds optimum.

Two downsides I see.

1. power bill might raise a couple of dollars.

2. Electrolytic capacitors degrade faster as the temperature rises. The rule of thumb used to be
half life for every 20 degree rise. A better way of putting it is for every 20 degrees below the caps
maximum rating, life was doubled.

So if the cap is rated 85C (185F), at 165 doubled, at 145 four times, 125 eight times, and 105F, 16 times.
Below maximum repetitive current also plays a part in cap life, but one usually doesn't know what that figure is
for a cap in a particular circuit. However, we do know that in preamplifiers, the repetitive current is generally
quite small compared to the max repetitive current rating for a particular electrolytic cap.

Another idea is the change the power switch for double throw, so when the switch is turned off, a power
resistor(s) would heat the component to a certain temperature. Multiple resistors around the chassis
would be even better for even heating. But then, the electrolytics would begin to suffer, depending upon
the temperature set.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Steve. The sound becomes very good at the 4-5 hour mark, but outstanding at 24 hours. I would rather have outstanding sound all the time. I’ve never kept an amp longer than 4-5 years or so, so longevity isn’t a concern for me. Can I ask what recommendations you made to clients on your products if they inquired?

Nick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version