Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 14227 times)

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »
 :clap:   :clap:
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
sand is good, and it's easy, re: the funnel method or a cut jug, as described above.

re: m6 spikes, just do a google search on "m6 spikes", and you will come up w/a plethora of sources, likely much faster and less expensive than having to buy from the uk...  or maybe you've already done that?

doug s.
I have also filled stands with sand...several times.  So I agree it's a bit tedious if you feed it in slowly like on the video.  But use a big funnel with a big bottom hole and it's a breeze actually.   Just pour the sand in, takes a few minutes.

Even if SQ does not improve (it will) your columns become much more stable.      :thumb:

OK, Iím convinced. I realize your advice is for my own good  :lol:   
Iíll do it once those M6 spikes arrive.
https://acegif.com/gif-images-of-the-white-flag/

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »
Doug,
Surprisingly, the choices werenít good. I looked at a number of US sites. Either spikes and protective pads together or 3/8Ē or 1/2Ē long, then 2Ē long. The UK ones were just right and cheap too including shipping. Theyíve already shipped as well. Iíll do sand. Thereís a Loweís and Home Depot close by. Iíll make sure that sand is completely dry as well. Have a good sized funnel. I never had the stands completely level before, so Iím going to be diligent doing that. I know the slab isnít level.

sand is good, and it's easy, re: the funnel method or a cut jug, as described above.

re: m6 spikes, just do a google search on "m6 spikes", and you will come up w/a plethora of sources, likely much faster and less expensive than having to buy from the uk...  or maybe you've already done that?

doug s.
I have also filled stands with sand...several times.  So I agree it's a bit tedious if you feed it in slowly like on the video.  But use a big funnel with a big bottom hole and it's a breeze actually.   Just pour the sand in, takes a few minutes.

Even if SQ does not improve (it will) your columns become much more stable.      :thumb:

OK, Iím convinced. I realize your advice is for my own good  :lol:   
Iíll do it once those M6 spikes arrive.
https://acegif.com/gif-images-of-the-white-flag/
Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
iFi Zen Stream & Mojo Audio lps
Wywires Silver cables & Audio Envy power cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2021, 08:52:34 PM »
:clap:   :clap:

Thank you. Seems anythingís possible nowadays. Old dog = new tricks  :)
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »
Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and hereÖdo expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didnít want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrangeÖand there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really donít have any record tracks to evaluate soundstage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When Iíve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then Iíll mess with speaker placement a bit more.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and hereÖdo expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didnít want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrangeÖand there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really donít have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When Iíve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then Iíll mess with speaker placement a bit more.

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »

a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrangeÖand there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really donít have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »

charles
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, thatís what Iíll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »

charles

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, thatís what Iíll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.

Have fun. Enjoy your trip.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

charles

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Designer, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Accutex 320 iii STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Ref Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Reference Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor standing Test Speaker

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »

charles

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve

Hi Steve,
Iím still in California, but heading home tomorrow. Sure have missed my music! 🎶🎶 I need to still work on placement. I would think my m6 spikes have been delivered and once placement is dialed in, Iíll fill the stands with sand (thanks toobluvrÖ :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:09:50 PM by Nick B »
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »
Well, am taking a brief break in between projects. Decided to install the m6 spikes from the UK (what a nice deal) and put them onto the Herbieís cone/spike puckies. Fired things up mid day, (system cold) which I rarely do. What a nice improvement. Improved resolution of instrument timbre, of individual voices within a chorus, cleaner bass. This is just playing a few songs Iím familiar with.

Iíll listen a little more, then back to projects. Oh, this is without sand. Just didnít want to get to it yet. The speaker stand top plate has 4 bolts, so it should be pretty simple to do.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
Finally got around to buying playground sand. Nice and clean. Opened up the bag and have some in a bucket ready to go for tomorrow for the speaker stands.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »
I saw a featured system at Agon and the owner used various footers including Eden Sound Terra Stone bearings and a guy who posted a comment said that he could elicit quite a change by simply changing the bearing materials on diy roller blocks. His wife could easily note the improvement.

What do diy roller blocks look like? Anyone tried this and used different materials? My setup is sounding so nice nowadays that isolation tweaks are absolutely worth a try. My rack is a Pangea, which is nicely built and quite sturdy. I see videos of them being used at shows. The shelves, however, are not isolated from each other.

I was looking at some ISO Gaiaís, but theyíre a little pricey and I have 5 components that might benefit from resonance control. Was also at Herbieís. Anyone used any of his stuff?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have some blocks that use steel balls, and the type of steel ball material makes a sonic difference in my system as well. I don't use them anymore, completely switched to isolation, and now use 12" bicycle inner tubes that are partially blown up. Walmart has them for ~$5.00 each. 

Cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Designer, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Accutex 320 iii STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Ref Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Reference Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor standing Test Speaker

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
I saw a featured system at Agon and the owner used various footers including Eden Sound Terra Stone bearings and a guy who posted a comment said that he could elicit quite a change by simply changing the bearing materials on diy roller blocks. His wife could easily note the improvement.

What do diy roller blocks look like? Anyone tried this and used different materials? My setup is sounding so nice nowadays that isolation tweaks are absolutely worth a try. My rack is a Pangea, which is nicely built and quite sturdy. I see videos of them being used at shows. The shelves, however, are not isolated from each other.

I was looking at some ISO Gaiaís, but theyíre a little pricey and I have 5 components that might benefit from resonance control. Was also at Herbieís. Anyone used any of his stuff?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have some blocks that use steel balls, and the type of steel ball material makes a sonic difference in my system as well. I don't use them anymore, completely switched to isolation, and now use 12" bicycle inner tubes that are partially blown up. Walmart has them for ~$5.00 each. 

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

One of the guys here sent me round mdf? discs with steel balls. I havenít tried using them yet. On my to do listÖ As to the bicycle tubes, thatís an interesting idea and I donít think any of the other guys here have mentioned that. It would quite fun to try.

Nick
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS