Author Topic: Meet the HAL Magnetar open baffle planar speaker  (Read 6947 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Meet the HAL Magnetar open baffle planar speaker
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2021, 07:11:23 PM »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 03:15:57 AM »
Dave,
Hopefully soon for the libation in person! :)

The system is now setup as follows:

The dspNexus 2x8, HAL MS-6 Music Server and Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks are all plugged into the DigiBUSS MKII that gets AC power from my BlunderBUSS.  Power cables are TWL customs made by Pete for me for the system.

Have the Magnetar DSP crossover block diagram loaded on the MS-6 and downloaded to the dspNexus 2x8 and it is running.  The dspNexus and MS-6 have been running for 24 hours to check stability and everything is fine.

Next, power up the monoblocks and just listen to the Magnetar OB planars to see how they sound before integrating the 3x12 Servo Sub arrays.  I have REW installed on the MS-6 and will be using the iMM-6 measurement mic for response and main to sub integration checks.

Fun stuff!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »
Dave,
Hopefully soon for the libation in person! :)

The system is now setup as follows:

The dspNexus 2x8, HAL MS-6 Music Server and Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks are all plugged into the DigiBUSS MKII that gets AC power from my BlunderBUSS.  Power cables are TWL customs made by Pete for me for the system.

Have the Magnetar DSP crossover block diagram loaded on the MS-6 and downloaded to the dspNexus 2x8 and it is running.  The dspNexus and MS-6 have been running for 24 hours to check stability and everything is fine.

Next, power up the monoblocks and just listen to the Magnetar OB planars to see how they sound before integrating the 3x12 Servo Sub arrays.  I have REW installed on the MS-6 and will be using the iMM-6 measurement mic for response and main to sub integration checks.

Fun stuff!

Sounds great, Rich. How many outlets on that DigiBUSS?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
Dave,
It has the standard 6 outlets (three duplex socket) installed.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 03:35:36 AM »
Doug,
Yes, the servo subs in the open baffle H-Frame with the HX300-12OB servo amp goes up cleanly to 250Hz at 6dB down for a Linkwitz-Riley style XO.  I am using an 8th order L-R acoustic alignment between the subs and planars.  The servo sub H-Frame cavity resonance is at 300Hz, so before that is the upper limit of this design.

I tried this style XO by splitting the input with a simple test by taking a L-R 8th order low pass and high pass filter in the dspNexus 2x8 and summed the outputs together to get an all pass filter to feed the DAC's.  You could not tell the difference between a direct connection and the all pass crossover feed.  I used planar headphones as a test for this to hear differences and there were none.  This is not a garden variety DSP system, which most are.

I am listening to it now and there is no problem with OB planar to OB servo sub integration.  I adjusted the time delay to match up the distance offset from planars to subs and sound excellent.  Low mids and bass and no bloat in my room.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:55:04 AM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Meet the HAL Magnetar open baffle planar speaker and servo subs
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 02:03:16 PM »
Today was build two more 1x12 modules for the modular servo subs.  The existing stack is a 2x12 and for a new project going to a 3x12 configuration with the original servo amps. 

These are the two open baffle H-Frame modules after glue-up and clamping.  Once they are dried, will go to painting next week.
These are available as flatpack kits from Reference North Audio and can be shipped as needed.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »
The servo sub open baffle H-Frames are dried and ready for painting.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »
The servo sub open baffle H-Frames are dried and ready for painting.

Lookin’ good, Rich. I’ve never learned  (or had the patience or desire)  how to do woodworking. Hats off to you and the guys will this skillset  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 10:05:24 AM »
Nick,
I do not do woodworking at all.

Jay does all the CNC woodwork.  All I am doing is using glue and clamps.  Easier than building a piece of IKEA furniture.  I know an auto paint shop that does the paint.  Once the 1x12's are painted, just drop in the subwoofer, put in screws and wire them up to the Speakon connectors. 

I will build them if needed and ship.  Fun stuff to do and sound great!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2021, 09:00:05 PM »
Nick,
I do not do woodworking at all.

Jay does all the CNC woodwork.  All I am doing is using glue and clamps.  Easier than building a piece of IKEA furniture.  I know an auto paint shop that does the paint.  Once the 1x12's are painted, just drop in the subwoofer, put in screws and wire them up to the Speakon connectors. 

I will build them if needed and ship.  Fun stuff to do and sound great!

Rich,
You still end up offering great products. I never learned how to glue properly and don’t have all the clamps either. I went to college prep high school. Never learned any of this properly, but had a college friend who taught wood shop at high school level.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS