Author Topic: Steve Hackett- Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith  (Read 6489 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Steve Hackett- Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:47 PM »
What can I say... If you like the band, pick this up. I wish I could say the audio quality was as good as the performance. The old rule about the better the performance, the worse the recording holds mostly true here.

I don't want to damn the album because of the audio; I just want to get that part out of the way. If the music is 5 stars, the audio is about 3.5. The bass is deep but ill defined, and the occasional flute was poorly recorded, sounding distorted at times.

But the music, to my ears, is sublime. No, Peter Gabriel isn't here, but if you can get past that, you'll enjoy the hell out of this. Thankfully, Steve Hackett himself stays away from the mic- I've never cared for his voice. The main vocalist, Nad Sylvan, does an excellent job and channels a great Phil Collins.
If there were no vocals at all, I could live with that too. These guys are spot on musicians, and really pulled this off well.  :thumb:
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Steve Hackett- Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
Bob McN, his daughter, another friend of his (can't remember his name) and I saw Steve Hackett at Westbury a few weeks back.  He put on a tremendous show.  We all loved it.

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline James Edward

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
This is that show. I saw it in Albany at the end of September. I went to a venue called "The Egg", and the sound was phenomenal; maybe that's why I'm less than thrilled with the sound of this CD. I should also add that A LOT of live shows have awful sound, so this was a double treat.

But again, I think the performance and drive of this CD is phenomenal.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:05:12 AM »
The show this year was basically a catch-up for me, since I didn't get to see Genesis play these songs back in the day (was that really 30+ years ago?)

Great concert. Sang every word, it seemed.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
Saw Genesis live at the Syracuse Carrier Dome back in 1982... Superb concert!

The two things I remember from that concert is the "Air Pressure" coming out of the revolving Carrier Dome doors (since the roof is held-up by positive pressure) and the low frequency "Air Movement" by the Genesis Sound system. I distinctly remember not exactly hearing some of the low frequency notes but feeling it on our clothes. I remember looking at each other (we were standing on the court / field) and saying "Holy Sh*t" as our clothes (t-shirt & jeans) were resonating... Unbelievable low notes (subsonic it seemed)...

Enough flashbacks for now....

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Ironically, the last time I saw Genesis live was also at the Syracuse Carrier Dome, Pete, but it was back in 1978 I think (?)  Gabriel was gone, Phil Collins split time between the drums and being front man.

The music was great, but what was unlike any other show I had seen before or after was the lighting.  The lighting truss was a massive multi-tiered monster!  Sometimes it seemed like light was coming at you from all directions and other times, it just swept over the crowd like a tidal wave!

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:55:33 AM »
Yeah, Genesis back in the day may have been one of the first bands to go big with lighting. Yes also did this. Pink Floyd took it over the top though. Now it's all about the flash and stage props and such in the pop world.

Gabriel also always has a big stage show when he tours, but then he was the Genesis showman dressing up in silly costumes and acting out the songs. Never saw him with the band either. I first saw them on the Wind and Wuthering tour.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline dflee

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:56 AM »
I will never forget seeing the lamb lies down on Broadway tour. Hackett was still in the band and they performed the album non stop. Took a break and came out and did more from other albums. This was in Chicago and not a sound was made from the crowd during the entire show. It really was surreal. Hackett sat on a folding chair far left on stage and just played.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »
I will never forget seeing the lamb lies down on Broadway tour. Hackett was still in the band and they performed the album non stop. Took a break and came out and did more from other albums. This was in Chicago and not a sound was made from the crowd during the entire show. It really was surreal. Hackett sat on a folding chair far left on stage and just played.

Don
Pretty sure I was at that same Lamb show in Chicago, opening night. Simply incredible theater.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra