Author Topic: Beethoven Triple Concerto  (Read 5630 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Beethoven Triple Concerto
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001G63

I have a couple versions of this work. This one is very special. The timing, communication, spiritual energy of this performance is awesome. This is one of my favorite recordings. It is a technical masterpiece in its compositional structure, but at the same time it is a tender, intimate and friendly face on a composer usually writing in more serious terms. It is fresh, childlike, innocent, inspiring. But at the same time, the melody lines fit together so perfectly it proves divine inspiration. It is deceptively simple on first listen. But soon the melodies will be haunting you all day. Then you will start to hear the deep maturity in the rythmic and emotional interpretations of the three soloists. Their masterful instrumental tone, and positive enthusiastic feeling combine to make this one of those once in a lifetime performances that you are so grateful was captured on tape. HVK is not known for graceful, insihgtful interpretations, especially of the preeminent german masters like Beethoven. But this is a charming surprise that shows his musical depth. Tempo is everything on such strong melodic works, and he gets it right, along with the pace and groove of all three movements. If you are a Beethovian, I would recommend you grab this and give it a few hundred listenings. Like a great jazz record, it takes that many to get it all, and to feel you have really heard it.

This Egmont (on the B side) is also my favorite version. More in the expected tradition of HVK, this is ballsy, scary, penetrating, powerful like the composer intended. It starts off low loud, dark and forboding then gets big, concise, grandiose, relentless. The beginning is very difficult to conduct to the full musical potential. Conductors often don't have the balls to speak like this. Karajan had no fear of powerful music. One of my best Beethoven symphonic recordings.    :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Beethoven Triple Concerto
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
November is Beethoven awareness month :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »
That's right Mike!

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Is it really, I did not know that.

Have to check to see if I have Rich's recommendation, have a ton of Beethoven I haven't listened to yet.

November is Beethoven awareness month :thumb:
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
  Love the new icon professor. Great LP BTW. Goosebump city.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
I'd love to hear it on LP. Mine is CD.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »
You shameless grasper.

I checked to see if I had it, alas, not this version. Otherwise I'd send it to you. I have the Oistrakh, Rostropovich & Richter version, von Karajan at the helm, on Angel vinyl.

I'd be glad to send it along if you want to listen. And when did you add a tt?

G
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
I'm glad you remember how good my TT sounded from your visit! haha I fixed the VTA a couple months ago, so it's better now. It's Clearaudio Concept, I got it used summer '11.

No thanks this time, but thanks for the offer Gene! Do you like that version of the Beethoven?

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
Only version I have, so I like it well enough.

I find Angel vinyl 'suspect' at times however.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
Except for the one I sent you, the DG in this OP... see if you like it mo betta