Author Topic: An Afternoon At The Crack House  (Read 280642 times)

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: An Afternoon At The Crack House
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
I couldn't make it to DDs today so I went to the Main Street Jukebox (close to home)
These all came from the $3 section

5. Noel Harrison ~ The Great Electric Experiment Is Over      White Label Promo

Noel sure loves his Bobby Dylan. On one of my Hullabaloo DVDs, he does a killer version of It's All Over Now Baby Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHOlD8RNOQI

Thanks I really enjoyed that  :thumb:

That's what she said  :-P

Anyone who loves mid 60s Rock and Pop, find the Hullabaloo DVDs. There's 3 of them out there. Long out of print and not cheap but worth it if you can find em at a decent price.

Here's a link to one of them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hullabaloo-Vols-1-4-Patrick-Adiarte/dp/0788602144/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1326595832&sr=1-1

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #421 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
RadioActive in Fort Lauderdale;

2 more Sinatra;
All the Way
Come Swing With Me!

Wrapped Impulse reissue;
A Loved Supreme - John Coltrane

Wrapped Prestige reissue;
Mobleys Message - Hank Mobley

Wrapped Prestige, prob'y a reissue;
The Best of Shirley Scott with Stanley Turrentine

The Sugar Man - Stanley Turrentine
Sonny Rollins on Impulse - Sonny Rollins
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
Well I went to you know who's and purchased a bunch of you know what
I'm really pleased with the 1st 4 LPs after those the rest where $1 LPs

1. The Beatles ~ Let it be Naked
2. The Rolling Stones ~ Collector's Only     German Mono
3. Climax Blues Band ~ 1969 / 1972          UK
4. Traffic Sound ~ Virgin                           180 gram reissue
5. Bruce Cockburn ~ Call It Democracy
6. Grand Canyon Suite ~ Phase 4 LP
7. Oscar Peterson & Jon Faddis
8. Stan Kenton Today ~ Phase 4 LP
9. Classic Rock ~ Volume One                  I have Volume two
10. A Vision Shared ~ A Tribute to Woody Guthrie And Leadbelly
11.  Dexter Gordon ~ American Classic
12. Gary Lewis And The Playboys ~ Everybody Loves A Clown 

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
Never heard of that Beatles lp Bill.

Wish the weather had been better as I'd of joined you, DD posted a ton of jazz titles as coming in today around noon time.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #424 on: January 21, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »

Wish the weather had been better as I'd of joined you, DD posted a ton of jazz titles as coming in today around noon time.

Gene I was knee deep in $8 jazz titles. I told Jamie they where in my GD way. :rofl: :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #425 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
Now you're just being plain mean.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

eleazar

« Reply #426 on: January 21, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Now you're just being plain mean.  :cry: :cry: :cry:
Weather was not an issue at 3pm the roads were clear that's why I waited you should have made the trip  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #427 on: January 21, 2012, 06:50:16 PM »

The Let It Be....Naked project went back to the original studio tapes remixed the songs without the orchestral overdubs and embellishments which were added by Phil Spector in the production of the final Let It Be album. It is raw Beatles without the "Wall of Sound" flavor.

Full story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_it_be_naked
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2012, 05:52:17 PM »
Not a Crack House purchase per se, but a great  eal none the less.

A while back Chris put up a post about s couple of Sony jazz box sets called the Perfect Jazz Collection 1 & 2. In looking for them on Amazon I also came across another set in that series completely dedicated to the music of Miles Davis. The Perfect Miles Davis Collection contains 20 Miles CDs in mini LP covers along with a booklet talking about and a nice box to store them all in. All for under $35. How can you go wrong for $1.75 a disc?

Details here:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Miles-Davis-Collection/dp/B005ELZNH0/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327801421&sr=1-4

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

lonewolfny42

« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »
In looking for them on Amazon I also came across another set in that series completely dedicated to the music of Miles Davis.

Pays to "poke around"....you do find bargains... :thumb:

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
Stopped at the crack house today with the wife. Tom, you dodn;t leave me ANYTHING!!!!!
  Walked out empty handed. :wtf:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
Stopped at the crack house today with the wife. Tom, you dodn;t leave me ANYTHING!!!!!
  Walked out empty handed. :wtf:

Unfortunately that is the way of the Crack House. Although I do pick up good amount of stuff I also walk out empty handed at least 50% of the time. I drive past it every day on my way home from the train station so I stop in 2 or 3 times a week. But more times than not it is just a 5 minute drive by and I come away with nothing. But then all of a sudden I walk in just as they put out a whole collection of great condition LPs that just came in and I get an arm full. But those days seem to be getting further and further apart. Last week I walked in and there was a guy standing there that had just pulled out about 30 RCA classical LPs.... if only the trains were running on time that day and I got there 5 minutes earlier...  :duh

Ah, it's all part of the hunt.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

lonewolfny42

« Reply #432 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »
Crack house alert..... :rofl:

A carryover from AC....some good deals (cheap) on box sets....don't own any of these sets...but do have the individual cds for some of them..

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?style=music&HT_Search=xlabel&HT_Search_Info=Real+Gone+Jazz

lonewolfny42

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:21:25 PM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #434 on: January 31, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
Chris it's funny you should post about these Real Gone Jazz sets today, as I just got a shipment of four more sets, Hank Mobley, Stan Getz, The Modern Jazz Quartet and Dave Brubeck Vol. 2.

These sets are a great value, but have to be looked at with the following caveats. These sets came about when a bunch of the 50s jazz albums went Public Domain because of their age. This made them cheap to produce but it also means that some of the material is from questionable sources from a SQ basis. I have read that most of them were mastered from copies of other CDs. But I can tell you that atleast some of them were mastered form vintage LPs with all of the LP defects coming through loud and clear. Not that the defects sound horrible, but you are just not used to hearing record whooshes and pops on a CD. But as I said in my post about the Julie London set, if you found a vintage LP copy of one of these albums for under two dollars that had that amount of surface noise on it you would be thrilled. The SQ is also no up to the the standard that can be found on other CDs. For example I have an OJC CD of Coltrane's "The Last Trane" album and when compared head to head to the Real Gone pressing it is clearly better from an SQ perspective. But keep in mind that this is only better from an audiophile perspective, the Real Gone does not sound bad by a long shot, just not as good as it could. However, a new copy of the single OJC disc would have cost me more than the 8 album set from Real Gone. The SQ on the RG sets while not optimal is at least acceptable for play on an audiophile system and is more than adequate for play in the car or on an ipod.

The bottom line is this. You can get better sounding copies of these albums, but for the price, you cant beat these sets for getting you exposure to a wide range of classic jazz music at a bargin basement price. The way I figure it, If I find something on these sets that I really like that much I can always go out and search for a higher SQ pressing of that particular title.

Also, it would be a good idea to check the reader reveiws on these sets before buying one (I usually look on Amazon.) There are a couple of the sets (Dave Brubeck Vol 1 comes to mind) that got really poor write-ups from an SQ basis and I have avoided them. But all in all I think it is a nice series and a great way to build your jazz library without spending big bucks for collectable type albums.

The Groove Inc site that Chris mentioned seems to have some of the best prices on these sets (and free shipping for orders over $27  :D ) but their site does not tell you which albums are included in each set, but that info can be found on Amazon. I haven't ordered from them ( yet...  aa), but the prices look good.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9