Author Topic: Receptacles... What works and why?  (Read 23992 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Receptacles... What works and why?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 08:52:14 PM »
I remember many oodles of years ago, Bob Crump recommended those Pass and Seymor outlets, but warned everyone that they required a month of break in. Nobody believed him, I mean what could possibly be breaking in? He actually went so far as to describe the changes he heard over a 30 day period.

So I got some of these outlets he recommended and low an behold, the sound of my system was all over the place for about a month or two. Great one day and flat and lifeless the next, only to be followed by shrill, then boomy, then great, then crap again. Finally everything evened out and the system sounded good again.

That experience convinced me once and for all that break-in is a real phenomenon.

Pretty much my experience.  Cryoing them mitigates a lot of the up and down of the break-in cycle, but it is still there to a point.  Takes less than a week when cryoed.  It is a great receptacle.  It is even better when the contacts are polished.

D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
I'm looking at these Maestro outlets. Cryo'd and broken in for 2 weeks.

Anyone using  high end outlet covers? This site has $60 ones. I've seen others for even more $$.

http://www.cruzefirstaudio.com/maestro_outlet.htm

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 05:48:35 AM »
Before I met Dave, installed a pair of the PS Audio power outlets in my room's dedicated 20amp service.  They hold the socket better than even the hospital grade outlets previously installed.  Just moved my Uberbuss over to that outlet last night from one of the hospital grades and sounds a bit cleaner overall to me. 

Got a pair of cryo'd outlets from Dave and will have to give them a try once I get the DigiBUSS with plenty of time on it.  It is at the opposite corner of the room with the hospital grade outlet at this point. 

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »
Before I met Dave, installed a pair of the PS Audio power outlets in my room's dedicated 20amp service.  They hold the socket better than even the hospital grade outlets previously installed.  Just moved my Uberbuss over to that outlet last night from one of the hospital grades and sounds a bit cleaner overall to me. 

Got a pair of cryo'd outlets from Dave and will have to give them a try once I get the DigiBUSS with plenty of time on it.  It is at the opposite corner of the room with the hospital grade outlet at this point. 
I've tried every available receptacle that is possible over the last few years.  For an off the shelf receptacle. The P&S 5362A that I cryo is the best receptacle that I know of under $100.00.  The polished version I sell for $35.00 is a stone killer.

D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:28 AM »
For me I like the Hubbell based Porter Port receptacles. I've used these receptacles in all the isolation transformers I have. I didn't bother auditioning other outlets because of cost and the music already sounded good to me. Thanks

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »
Here we go again!

People that remember my Circle at AC will probably recall the Furutech GTX(R) discussion.  I am the first to admit that I was WRONG about rhodium for years.  I got in a fairly contentious discussion with Benjamin Zwickel of Mojo Audio over this topic a few years ago.  Man, was I wrong.  I had never given rhodium the break-in that it needs to develop the wonderfulness that it can bring to an AC application. [I'm still on the fence about signal applications, but I'm slowly coming around].  During that time @ AC I sang the praises of the GTX(R) and associated connectors.  Well, those guys at Furutech have done it again and raised the bar with the new NCF products.  They are better.  Not night and day better, but incrementally better.

If I had an array of Furutech copper/rhodium connectors, I would not replace them outright.  They totally rock!  However, if I were looking at the highest performance possible in new purchases, I would bite the bullet and get the new NCF rhodium Furutech products... and I have.  I just wish they would stop developing bleeding edge products and guit screwing with my ears.  Even at my decrepit age of 68 it is not that subtle of a change.

From a objectivist skeptic that I used to be to the constantly amazed music lover that I am now just boggles my mind.  Who knew?

Certainly, not me!

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »
Here we go again!

People that remember my Circle at AC will probably recall the Furutech GTX(R) discussion.  I am the first to admit that I was WRONG about rhodium for years.  I got in a fairly contentious discussion with Benjamin Zwickel of Mojo Audio over this topic a few years ago.  Man, was I wrong.  I had never given rhodium the break-in that it needs to develop the wonderfulness that it can bring to an AC application. [I'm still on the fence about signal applications, but I'm slowly coming around].  During that time @ AC I sang the praises of the GTX(R) and associated connectors.  Well, those guys at Furutech have done it again and raised the bar with the new NCF products.  They are better.  Not night and day better, but incrementally better.

If I had an array of Furutech copper/rhodium connectors, I would not replace them outright.  They totally rock!  However, if I were looking at the highest performance possible in new purchases, I would bite the bullet and get the new NCF rhodium Furutech products... and I have.  I just wish they would stop developing bleeding edge products and guit screwing with my ears.  Even at my decrepit age of 68 it is not that subtle of a change.

From a objectivist skeptic that I used to be to the constantly amazed music lover that I am now just boggles my mind.  Who knew?

Certainly, not me!

Dave,
Me too... It also depends on the manufacturer... IMHO, both Cardas & Furutech get rhodium plating RIGHT!... others, I'm not so sure of...

Will be installing a NCF receptacle this weekend, replacing a GTX(Gold)...

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »
Here we go again!

Certainly, not me!

Dave,
Me too... It also depends on the manufacturer... IMHO, both Cardas & Furutech get rhodium plating RIGHT!... others, I'm not so sure of...

Cheers,
Pete
Did you use the Audio Dharma on it?  I'm wondering just how high a current a GTX will need to get the job done?

mauidan

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
Replaced a Furutech GTX-D (G) with a  Furutech GTX-D(R)NCF last week.

Ran my Hagerman FryCorder into it for three days before any listening.

I agree with Dave, that it's not night and day better, but incrementally better.

Seems to have lowered the noise floor and sounds a bit faster.

I'm sure things will further improve when I install my new power cord with the Furutech FI-50 NCF (R) connectors and
new PLC with NCF components.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
Replaced a Furutech GTX-D (G) with a  Furutech GTX-D(R)NCF last week.

Ran my Hagerman FryCorder into it for three days before any listening.

I agree with Dave, that it's not night and day better, but incrementally better.

Seems to have lowered the noise floor and sounds a bit faster.

I'm sure things will further improve when I install my new power cord with the Furutech FI-50 NCF (R) connectors and
new PLC with NCF components.
I can pretty much guareantee you that it will change over the next week or so.  Let us all know where it ends up.

Offline paul79

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
Hey Dave! Paul here.... I had to find out from "Rotney"  :roll: that you were over here... What is up with that?? :?  :lol:

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
I currently have 20 amp Levitrons from your hardware store.

What's every ones thought on the entry level PS Audio receptacles? Better? Same?

They are installed in a dedicated circuit for my music room so that part is good! :)
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 04:17:30 PM »
Hey Dave! Paul here.... I had to find out from "Rotney"  :roll: that you were over here... What is up with that?? :?  :lol:
Hmmmmmm, I dunno.  I included you in a mass mailing that I sent out.  Maybe it ended up in the spam folder.

Funny as I typed that I was reminded of just how good that mystery meat can be with eggs for breakfast.  Maybe tomorrow.

Welcome aboard, Paul.  How's tricks?

The new Furutech GTX9R) NCF receptacles are even better than the GTX(R) versions.  They are getting that technology pretty well figured out.  The nano crystalline ceramics are something pretty special.  Wish I knew what they are.  Buckminsterfullerenes?  Nano flux capacitors?  Dunno, again! :?:

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »
I currently have 20 amp Levitrons from your hardware store.

What's every ones thought on the entry level PS Audio receptacles? Better? Same?

They are installed in a dedicated circuit for my music room so that part is good! :)
PS Audio uses nickel plating on their receptacles which is something that I find curious.  It is magnetic and has only 22% the conductivity of tough pitch copper.  It is normally used in receptacles that are exposed to reactive atmospheres for copper.  Had a pair.  Not my cup of tea.  A little on the hard and hazy side in my system at the time.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »

[/quote]

Dave,

Cheers,
Pete
[/quote]OK, Petah.  Time's getting close to weighing in on your findings.

Whatcha hear?

Not ready?  We'll wait...  Tick, tick, tick...