Author Topic: Comparison of USB Cables  (Read 2862 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Comparison of USB Cables
« on: April 05, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
I had a chance to test the 1.5 meter Wywire “Silver” USB cable to a 2 meter Walmart generic cable, and another 2 meter brand that was double shielded with gold plated connectors, given to me by my friend Myron, a former computer science instructor. My review will only contain differences, not preferences, due to different audio system requirements.

Simply put, the Wywire was cleaner, with less garbage and slightly more relaxed highs, slightly more flesh in the mids. The bass was slightly deeper, yet stayed nicely taught, not sloppy at all. Since there was more flesh, the sound was also smoother as well, not a hint of strident. Depth and imaging appeared to be extremely close between the three cables compared.

There is always a question of how smooth or how sharp the edges of the instruments should be. I think a viable solution would be slightly adjusting the speaker position, rotation, side to side, to front wall, height etc. for either more or less edginess, brightness, to suite one’s taste. Just a little makes a difference. All in all, a nice, spacious sound was presented on virtually all the musical selections I used.

As far as my system, I used my computer to modified Modi 2 DAC via USB cables to my 11A Line Preamplifier, thru my "V" interconnect cables, to my 25PPT two stage PP triode amplifier, and finally my test speakers via 12 parallel 18 gauge solid copper wires.

My test speakers are two way, my system has virtually no sonic signature, as demonstrated that I can perceive a sonic change by adjusting a resistor across my full range driver by millionths of an ohm. A sonic signature would  mask such minute changes in frequency response.

Cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Comparison of USB Cables
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:36:05 AM »
  Steve have you tried a USB with separated data and power ? A huge difference. I found the Wireworld big open fast but bright.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »
  Steve have you tried a USB with separated data and power ? A huge difference. I found the Wireworld big open fast but bright.

charles

No Charles, but then I have my modified Modi 2 so good that I don't worry anymore. Right up there with the $4k Lampizator. Amazing sound quality.

cheers
steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 12:24:01 AM »

charles

No Charles, but then I have my modified Modi 2 so good that I don't worry anymore. Right up there with the $4k Lampizator. Amazing sound quality.

cheers
steve

Steve,
Am curious what your mod was if you’re willing to divulge. That’s quite a comparison to a $4k Lampi
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS