Music Ward > Music Discussion

Tea For The Tillerman- One More Time...

(1/2) > >>

James Edward:
Howdy,
I came across another rendering of this album- 6 months or so back there was the reimagining of the album by Cat Stevens- re-recorded anew. Now I found this- a 5 album set-
1 remastered,
2 remixed,
3 TFTT redux
4 Demos/outtakes
5 Live
I love the album, so I will be working my way through these.
And I thought only the Beatles could re-release something ten times. Good for Cat!

tmazz:
Thanks for the heads up Jim. Makes sense that they would release one of these super deluxe sets seeing as last Sept was the 50th anniversary of the original release, but this one just slipped by me until now.

This album has been a longtime fav of mine as well, so I to will enjoy wading through this set. (Gotta love Tidal.  :D)

James Edward:
At the risk of stating the obvious, you’ll need to level match if you are going to try and compare/evaluate the 5(!) different versions on Tidal. The 2020 remix is to my ears, a minimum 3 db if not more, louder than the others. Second place in loudness goes to the remaster. The ‘Master/MQA’ version is lowest, but I guess allows maximum dynamic range. Since I’m not insane, these comparisons only apply to ‘Wild World’, but presumably are similar across the board. Yes- I had some free time this morning...
Having listened to this album many many times throughout the years, the remix and ‘2’ are a refreshing change for me. As you kids say- YMMV.

Triode Pete:

--- Quote from: James Edward on February 20, 2021, 06:39:11 AM ---At the risk of stating the obvious, you’ll need to level match if you are going to try and compare/evaluate the 5(!) different versions on Tidal. The 2020 remix is to my ears, a minimum 3 db if not more, louder than the others. Second place in loudness goes to the remaster. The ‘Master/MQA’ version is lowest, but I guess allows maximum dynamic range. Since I’m not insane, these comparisons only apply to ‘Wild World’, but presumably are similar across the board. Yes- I had some free time this morning...
Having listened to this album many many times throughout the years, the remix and ‘2’ are a refreshing change for me. As you kids say- YMMV.

--- End quote ---

How about comparing the Vinyl versions? They all sound different, with the Acoustic Sounds one being a little "Hot" IMHO...

rollo:

--- Quote from: Triode Pete on February 20, 2021, 07:15:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: James Edward on February 20, 2021, 06:39:11 AM ---At the risk of stating the obvious, you’ll need to level match if you are going to try and compare/evaluate the 5(!) different versions on Tidal. The 2020 remix is to my ears, a minimum 3 db if not more, louder than the others. Second place in loudness goes to the remaster. The ‘Master/MQA’ version is lowest, but I guess allows maximum dynamic range. Since I’m not insane, these comparisons only apply to ‘Wild World’, but presumably are similar across the board. Yes- I had some free time this morning...

--- End quote ---

How about comparing the Vinyl versions? They all sound different, with the Acoustic Sounds one being a little "Hot" IMHO...

--- End quote ---

Agree a bit tilted up.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version