Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes  (Read 2764 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: San Marzano Tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »

Thanks toobluvr, I do like it, and as you stated, the SQ is excellent. When I first saw your post, I thought it would be a clone of a ‘smooth jazz’ station we had in NY a couple of decades ago- CD 101.9. Thankfully it’s not- it’s a much deeper catalog.
Beware those that check it out this week- they are in the middle of a fund drive.

Yeah, not to be elitist but it's mostly serious "real" jazz that the purist would appreciate, so long as he's OK with smooth and mellow.  No hard-bop or blaring aggressive horns, which is fine by me.  On rare occasion it does veer off and flirts with schmaltzy cheezey pop covers that border on elevator music.....but never quite gets there.....thank God!!   And the other 99% is so good, small price to pay.   I know CD 101.9 well, I used to live on LI.
Since this is off the rails anyway, this guy was one of my best friends in junior high (middle school) and we won our science fair competition with a low power radio station that we played jazz on:https://frankcody.com
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
For pasta sauce I'll throw out another option.  I don't grow San Marzano tomatoes... we're way too hot in Abilene, TX.  But cherry varieties are great for sauce.  * Heat your oil, saute a bit of meat, add your veggies and garlic, then at the end throw in a cup or so of sweet 100's or cherry tomatoes.  Cook just long enough the they squish easily under a spatula.  Throw in the fresh basil, remove and eat. 
*don't forget to open a bottle of red for the cook.  Studies show cooks are happier with wine and music.   :thumb:
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 05:32:59 PM »
  The Can must have DOP certification on the label be the real deal San Marzano. However using fresh plum tomatoes is the best. Blanch tomato in boiling water until skin loosens remove to an ice bath. Remove skin then put in bowl and use your hands to break them up to size desired.
For the best Marinara use a cast iron pan . Heat well add EVOO and Garlic either minced or whole. Brown garlic. Add tomatoes and cook 15 minutes on med/Hi flame. DONE, enjoy !

charls

Why cast iron?   I thought conventional wisdom is to not use cast iron for acidic products.  No?        :-k
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 09:14:14 PM »
Well, the temp doesn't drop quite as much when you add ingredients to a hot skillet with cast iron due to extra mass-- but aluminum has a higher specific heat so it's close.  Q= mc delta T
As far as reacting to acidity, if you had exposed iron it could affect flavor.  But if the cast iron is well seasoned, your tomatoes are only touching carbon and shouldn't react.  I cooked tomatoes in a cast iron skillet tonight.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 09:57:52 PM »
For pasta sauce I'll throw out another option.  I don't grow San Marzano tomatoes... we're way too hot in Abilene, TX.  But cherry varieties are great for sauce.  * Heat your oil, saute a bit of meat, add your veggies and garlic, then at the end throw in a cup or so of sweet 100's or cherry tomatoes.  Cook just long enough the they squish easily under a spatula.  Throw in the fresh basil, remove and eat. 
*don't forget to open a bottle of red for the cook.  Studies show cooks are happier with wine and music.   :thumb:

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 08:44:46 AM »
  The Can must have DOP certification on the label be the real deal San Marzano. However using fresh plum tomatoes is the best. Blanch tomato in boiling water until skin loosens remove to an ice bath. Remove skin then put in bowl and use your hands to break them up to size desired.
For the best Marinara use a cast iron pan . Heat well add EVOO and Garlic either minced or whole. Brown garlic. Add tomatoes and cook 15 minutes on med/Hi flame. DONE, enjoy !

charls

Pretty much what we did, except we did it in the oven. I'll have to try the cast iron pan. Might be a little quicker.

The cooking method of using the pan makes a huge difference. Cooks differently. Try it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »

charls

Pretty much what we did, except we did it in the oven. I'll have to try the cast iron pan. Might be a little quicker.

The cooking method of using the pan makes a huge difference. Cooks differently. Try it.

charles
I cook most of the food on the stove in cast iron and grill pancakes, pananni, etc on cast iron.  The even, consistent heat and the ease of cleaning a well seasoned hunk of iron is THE deal.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »
Hey guys, good tip about Radio Paradise. But I don't see the "Jazz Groove", only Main, Mellow, Rock, and World Mixes?

Stanley Tucci's Wonderful Series "Searching For Italy", all about food and eating/drinking in Italy, has an episode that covers San Marzano tomatoes. Fantastic series - with wonderful views of the country - available here:  https://go.cnn.com/vod
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline James Edward

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »
Hey guys, good tip about Radio Paradise. But I don't see the "Jazz Groove", only Main, Mellow, Rock, and World Mixes?

Stanley Tucci's Wonderful Series "Searching For Italy", all about food and eating/drinking in Italy, has an episode that covers San Marzano tomatoes. Fantastic series - with wonderful views of the country - available here:  https://go.cnn.com/vod
The Jazz Groove is a separate internet radio station. I searched for it via my Bluesound node and found it. I don’t know the ins and outs otherwise…
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rpf

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 01:21:34 PM »
Got it James, thanks.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »

charls

charles
I cook most of the food on the stove in cast iron and grill pancakes, pananni, etc on cast iron.  The even, consistent heat and the ease of cleaning a well seasoned hunk of iron is THE deal.

:thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »

Rob -- It's not part of Radio Paradise.  Separate internet radio station that can be accessed many different ways.

https://jazzgroove.org/listen?channel=mix1

On both my streamers (SB Touch and BlueSound Node 2i) it is included in the built-in section called "TuneIn Radio".

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:48:08 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2021, 09:07:41 PM »

The same link you posted isn’t opening up to the same page as before, so….
https://www.cnncreativemarketing.com/project/tucci/
I am going to have to go searching for these San Marzano tomatoes after all these favorable comments 🤤
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rpf

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:38 PM »
Thanks John, Nick.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2021, 10:24:42 PM »
Thanks John, Nick.

You bet, Rob. I like Stanley Tucci and need to check out that series. I remember an episode Tucci did on the series… Monk….  :lol:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS