Alan Parsons on Audiophiles and Music

<< < (5/5)

steve:

--- Quote from: tmazz on June 29, 2021, 02:48:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: steve on June 29, 2021, 02:40:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on June 29, 2021, 12:25:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: steve on June 26, 2021, 09:33:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on June 25, 2021, 08:03:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: steve on June 25, 2021, 12:21:16 AM ---For me, personally, it is all about realism. Does the voice sound real. How about the instruments. I want to feel as though I am actually there as I love how instruments sound live. I can enjoy the Vienna Symphony, Ben King, or Eva Cassidy as if I am in the audience live.

My brother played the coronet and I played a trombone and don't want them sounding weird. I enjoy the live orchestra or a jazz session, and I want to hear it anytime I wish, as if I am in the audience.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

My goal as well Steve. I love the chase. I love the experimenting. For me it will never end. I enjoy a state of the art system every night. It IS NOT about the gear. It is about pulling out the potential of the system to make the music I love sound more life like.
   If I had to compromise in a new room then I would choose the right speaker for that space with the best front end I could afford.

charles

--- End quote ---

Thanks Charles. I am glad you understand as I may not have been as clear as I should have been.

Concerning purchases, I do have an advantage over most in that I can check pre, amp, ics for absolute accuracy, so I obtained that first and then source, speakers, speaker wire in a see/saw to obtain most accurate/natural music possible. But that is not possible unless one understands which are the most accurate components. The average person won't be able to perform such tests.

That is why I believe there should be a reviewer who actually tests electronic components in a calibrated system instead of just sticking a component in a who knows what system and listening as reviewers do.

Of course, there would be a charge for such services, but would save the customer a substantial amount of time and money.

Cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,

A very interesting idea. I’m assuming the summary of the results wouldn’t be proprietary…
So if you did this for a client, what kind of written comments or numbers on a rating scale would you provide with your services?

Nick

--- End quote ---

Right now, I am thinking a written review but upon further thought, how to compare to other brands since time frame is involved.

The second problem is if proprietary, only one entity is helped at a time. That is not helpful for the public.

The third is if made public, every reviewer who reviews,,,, and probably every manufacturer plus shills involved in comparisons would attack credibility wherever and whenever possible. It would be the audio west, like the wild west on forums.

I would imagine that the possibility of being permanently banned would be a great possibility on some forums.

On second thought, maybe not such a great idea, unless a different way is possible.

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve, I think you  would get skinned alive. Because nobody, especially someone who bought one,  wants to hear that their gear isn't perfect.........  :roll:

--- End quote ---

I am sure you are correct T. I was hoping some might like the truith though. However, some 12 years ago I remember when Dr. Kunchur presented his 5 year audio perception paper involving 3 national medical organizations, numerous universities, nuclear site scientists from all over the world, and peer reviewed, that a major attempt by audio entities/organizations/individuals attempted to discredit his paper via posting obvious false information, with some "audio" patents possibly being deemed worthless by the paper.

Upon further reflection,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on June 29, 2021, 03:03:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: steve on June 25, 2021, 12:21:16 AM ---For me, personally, it is all about realism. Does the voice sound real. How about the instruments. I want to feel as though I am actually there as I love how instruments sound live. I can enjoy the Vienna Symphony, Ben King, or Eva Cassidy as if I am in the audience live.

My brother played the coronet and I played a trombone and don't want them sounding weird. I enjoy the live orchestra or a jazz session, and I want to hear it anytime I wish, as if I am in the audience.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

My goal as well Steve. I love the chase. I love the experimenting. For me it will never end. I enjoy a state of the art system every night. It IS NOT about the gear. It is about pulling out the potential of the system to make the music I love sound more life like.
   If I had to compromise in a new room then I would choose the right speaker for that space with the best front end I could afford.

charles

--- End quote ---

Thanks Charles. I am glad you understand as I may not have been as clear as I should have been.

Concerning purchases, I do have an advantage over most in that I can check pre, amp, ics for absolute accuracy, so I obtained that first and then source, speakers, speaker wire in a see/saw to obtain most accurate/natural music possible. But that is not possible unless one understands which are the most accurate components. The average person won't be able to perform such tests.

That is why I believe there should be a reviewer who actually tests electronic components in a calibrated system instead of just sticking a component in a who knows what system and listening as reviewers do.

Of course, there would be a charge for such services, but would save the customer a substantial amount of time and money.

Cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,

A very interesting idea. I’m assuming the summary of the results wouldn’t be proprietary…
So if you did this for a client, what kind of written comments or numbers on a rating scale would you provide with your services?

Nick

--- End quote ---

Right now, I am thinking a written review but upon further thought, how to compare to other brands since time frame is involved.

The second problem is if proprietary, only one entity is helped at a time. That is not helpful for the public.

The third is if made public, every reviewer who reviews,,,, and probably every manufacturer plus shills involved in comparisons would attack credibility wherever and whenever possible. It would be the audio west, like the wild west on forums.

I would imagine that the possibility of being permanently banned would be a great possibility on some forums.

On second thought, maybe not such a great idea, unless a different way is possible.

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve, I think you  would get skinned alive. Because nobody, especially someone who bought one,  wants to hear that their gear isn't perfect.........  :roll:

--- End quote ---

I am sure you are correct T. I was hoping some might like the truith though. However, some 12 years ago I remember when Dr. Kunchur presented his 5 year audio perception paper involving 3 national medical organizations, numerous universities, nuclear site scientists from all over the world, and peer reviewed, that a major attempt by audio entities/organizations/individuals attempted to discredit his paper via posting obvious false information, with some "audio" patents possibly being deemed worthless by the paper.

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,

I think Tom’s right. It’s all quite fascinating to me, but some guys would definitely not handle your straightforward opinions if it were not what they wanted to hear. I thought our dac experiment was interesting and informative. I’d be curious what your opinion would now be of my BP dac with the Jupiter caps. But my curiosity would cost me shipping and 2-3 weeks of time and would take up your time as well.

Are you tinkering with new dacs or mods or are you completely settled on the schitt modi 2?

steve:

--- Quote from: Nick B on June 29, 2021, 04:30:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: steve on June 29, 2021, 03:03:40 PM ---

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

charles

--- End quote ---

Cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,

Nick

--- End quote ---

steve

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,

I think Tom’s right. It’s all quite fascinating to me, but some guys would definitely not handle your straightforward opinions if it were not what they wanted to hear. I thought our dac experiment was interesting and informative. I’d be curious what your opinion would now be of my BP dac with the Jupiter caps. But my curiosity would cost me shipping and 2-3 weeks of time and would take up your time as well.

Are you tinkering with new dacs or mods or are you completely settled on the schitt modi 2?

--- End quote ---

Yes, still using the major upgraded Modi 2. It is nothing like the original sound. As you know I recently tested the Denafrips DAC an audiophile friend loaned to me and the upgraded Modi 2 was superior. -3db at 20hz spec is one of the few specs that mean something. Otherwise it is pretty descent.

The modified Modi 2 also left nothing behind when compared to the highly regarded Monarchy Tube DAC. They were identical sonic wise.

When playing the long version of "Take Five", about 2:30 on, a knob adjustment occurs in the recording, the drum starts to move even further back, and the recording room reflections become quite noticeable. Your there in the recording studio. (CD/redbook is better in this respect than YT premium)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

cheers

steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version