Systemic Development > Speakers

Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet

(1/3) > >>

James Edward:
I’m helping a friend refurbish a 40 year old pair of SEAS speakers. I had SG Custom Sound rebuild the crossovers, and consulted with Madisound about replacement drivers which are on the way.
The cabinets themselves seem a little ‘ringy’ to me. Since the crossovers are finished, and the drivers are spec’d for the original cabinet dimensions (it’s a 2 cabinet design, a little like a WATT/Puppy), what options are available to deaden the box? I would imagine much internal bracing would alter the volume- is this much of a concern? The woofer cabinet is ~ 59 liters.
Would a Dynamat product be a solution? Or am I overthinking this? Would a few crossbars inside make much of a difference to the box volume to affect much of anything?
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. My friend is a carpenter and craftsman, so most ideas could probably be implemented without much trouble.
Thanks as always.

Jack:
Might want to ask Danny at GR Research.

S Clark:
Crossbars would have a negligible effect of the volume and are usually a good idea ( I like dowel rods).  For damping side walls, the No Rez that Danny sells is a good product. It also has little effect on internal volume, since it is mostly a very dense open cell foam.  It does need a clean surface to stick. 

rollo:

--- Quote from: S Clark on May 10, 2021, 08:31:23 PM ---Crossbars would have a negligible effect of the volume and are usually a good idea ( I like dowel rods).  For damping side walls, the No Rez that Danny sells is a good product. It also has little effect on internal volume, since it is mostly a very dense open cell foam.  It does need a clean surface to stick.

--- End quote ---

Sound advice. Agree 100%.

charles

James Edward:
Just a follow-up… I’ve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. I’ll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say I’ll TRY and post some pics!
Rebuilt crossovers done by Scott at SG Custom Sound Douglaston, NY
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.
I guess the proof will be in the pudding when these are finally together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version