Systemic Development > Digital Audio Devices

CD Player and two DAC comparisons

(1/3) > >>

steve:
A friend brought over a very highly regarded Monarchy 24 tube DAC the other day. I also have the heavily upgraded Modi 2 and upgraded NAD 521Bee, both of which I upgraded.

Amazingly, the three sounded so close we could not tell the difference. This is the upgraded Modi 2 that upstaged the highly regarded Border Patrol tube/SS powered DAC. In a couple or 3 weeks I will be comparing a Denafrips DAC.

What amazed me was that I had not compared the Player/DACs while performing the upgrades; The first comparison
occurred last evening (exception Border Patrol sometime back). The stereo system is extremely transparent, so any sonic differences and/or problems would be perceived. This is verified by several different methods of altering my systems performance.

1. Changing just one leg of speaker wires from ten 18 gauge wires per leg to 11 per leg is perceived.
2. Adding or subtracting 1/4 inch of a turn on a 600 watt 10 mh crossover inductor is perceived.
3. Changing the resistance of a crossover resistor by 1/100,000th or less of an ohm is perceived.
4. Rotating a speaker by 0,5 mm pen width is perceived.

Thus masking, which can occur due to venue/system problems, and affects inner detail, tonal quality, soundstage
etc, is virtually eliminated.

We also compared my ethernet cable (14' long) to the Supra (25' long cable), and the Supra cat 8 lost. That was interesting since my Supra USB 3 meter cable from computer to DAC clearly beat three other USB cables, one $600.00 or so.

cheers

steve

rollo:
  Steve in general not giving away your secrets what upgrades ? Power supplies ? ????

charles

steve:

--- Quote from: rollo on May 10, 2021, 11:24:51 AM ---  Steve in general not giving away your secrets what upgrades ? Power supplies ? ????

charles

--- End quote ---

For the CD player, it was by-passing the 6db analog gainstage (gain of 2) to the output. Almost every preamplifier/ amplifier combo has plenty enough gain. The cheapo analog gainstage does nothing except degrade the sound.

Power supply and internal parts, but there is more involved. Thanks for respecting my privacy. :)

cheers

steve

S Clark:
When people hear things I can't, instead of doubting, I simply chalk it up to different hearing abilities.  Years ago Danny Richie was talking about hearing the difference in black wire insulation compared to red.  My ears just aren't sensitive enough for such nuance. 
But when we get into something like a quarter turn on a big inductor, or .000 01 of an ohm, I'd think that you have that much variation or more simply in the contact points in on/off switches, or input selectors, or volume pots.  I've learned not to doubt that others hear things I don't, but the explanation of 1/100 000 of an ohm or .001% change in an inductor don't seem like a likely reason for change in sound.  Most of us don't hear a 1 dB increase or decrease in volume.  And +- 3 dB has sort of been an industry standard for decades.

I'm not doubting your conclusions.  But I'm curious how you arrived at determining a difference in such small changes? Shoot, I hear things different from night to night... could be what I ate, or allergies, or something my wife said.   I do think my state of mind affects my perceived hearing. 

rollo:

--- Quote from: steve on May 10, 2021, 09:38:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on May 10, 2021, 11:24:51 AM ---  Steve in general not giving away your secrets what upgrades ? Power supplies ? ????

charles

--- End quote ---

For the CD player, it was by-passing the 6db analog gainstage (gain of 2) to the output. Almost every preamplifier/ amplifier combo has plenty enough gain. The cheapo analog gainstage does nothing except degrade the sound.

Power supply and internal parts, but there is more involved. Thanks for respecting my privacy. :)

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Great idea. I have asking for years why does a CD player need a gain section when using a preamp  ? Your experience and hard work deserve a fee.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version