Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Anyone with experience with GaN Amps?

(1/2) > >>

jimbones:
Been reading that this is the next big thing. Can anyone share their experience?

HAL:
I am using the original Orchard Audio BOSC GaN Class D monoblocks.

Using them in a tri-amp setup with the monoblocks driving the planar mids and tweeters with very short drive cables.  Sound very good here compared to older Class D designs.

Not tried them with different speakers.

S Clark:
Ok, I'll plead ignorance.  What is GaN?  Gallium Nitride?

HAL:
Yes, the output devices are Gallium Nitride transistors.  Much higher efficiency and higher rise time than silicon for output devices.  Switching frequency increases over silicon.  The latest Class D amps with Silicon MOSFET outputs switch at around ~500KHz.  The GaN output stage in the BOSC switches at ~750KHz.  This makes filtering out the HF output easier with better quality components.  Other parasitic types of problems are lower on GaN devices, so simpler drive circuitry is part of the design.

Note: Leo may still have his Starkrimson)old BOSC GaN amp) monoblocks available for demo.

jimbones:
I think the jury is out whether or not they are as ground breaking as the claim. Looking for a really good lightweight amp. That leads to class D. I have never heard a good class D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version