Recently Diagnosed > New Member Introductions

amateur recording engineer

(1/3) > >>

JayDee:
Hello friends! My name is Jason. I don't have a crazy expensive audiophile listening setup, and I'm not even sure what a "buss" is, in this application. However, I have been recording, mixing and mastering music on and off for a couple decades. I've been a musician since 4th grade. I had Moog, Oberheim, Roland synths, electric guitars, a Tascam Portastudio and a Furman stereo spring reverb when I was a kid in 1982.

These days I have a home studio, and occasionally I record some professional jazz musicians. The latest venture I'm working on is to record these jazz musicians live, with a single pair or stereo microphone, in high resolution 384kHz/32-bit PCM and DSD.

In the last few days I've been collaborating on a new microphone cable for my Royer SF12 stereo ribbon mic, with a friend of mine. This friend is a Tonmeister who designs and builds professional audio and video studios, in addition to his own cables and speakers. He sells his clients audiophile gear at pro audio prices, so I'm very lucky to know him.

I'm doing a bit of a rebuild on my home studio. For the last week I've been reading a lot about AC power outlets (wall), and that brought me here. Seems like a cool place to not be ridiculed for thinking one piece of metal sounds better than another. Cheers!

Nick B:
Hello Jason and welcome to the forum! I think you’ll enjoy the exchange of ideas and opinions here. As a result of your post, I now have heard of and know the definition of a Tonmeister. If your Tonmeister friend has a website, please post the link as I’d be curious to read about it.

You mentioned AC power outlets and a “buss”. Dave of PI Audio makes superb AC power treatment products. I own an UberBUSS device and UberPerto receptacles. Others here can attest to how excellent those products are and this link will provide a little more information.   https://piaudiogroup.com/

We also have other manufacturers of excellent products here as well.

Nick

JayDee:
Hello Nick. Thanks for the welcome! My friend's company is called Exakte, but he doesn't have a website. He often teams up with other manufacturers who use his cables at the CES show. If you search, you may find some reviews that included his speaker cables. Here is a great story that involved himself, Synergistic Research, a Tesla coil, and some French Horns.

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/hand-tuned-quantum-tunneled/

It's funny that you mention Dave of PI Audio, as he's one of the reasons I joined Audio Nervosa. I read that after Dave polished a Furutech FPX-Cu AC outlet, it rivaled their much more expensive GTX receptacles. I was already leaning towards the FPX-Cu before I read that. Now I want a polished one!

Ken does not particularly care for rhodium or gold plating. He does use silver plated copper wire in his designs, though. I read here that rhodium requires quite a break-in-period, so I've relayed that info to him. He's heard it all, and is skeptical of internet information, because he says you don't know that person's ears or listening system.

We're going to compare some different XLR connectors on this stereo microphone cable. We're starting with the standard pro audio Switchcraft and Neutrik, but I also ordered a pair of Vampires. Xhadow was out of stock, and I can't afford Bocchino at the moment. The Oyaide XLR with the Swarovsky rhinestone channel markers is said to sound very good too. Anyway, we're going to start by building two cables, one for him with all Neutriks, and my cable with Switchcraft A series. After that we'll swap out the Vampire XLR's on my cable and compare them. I guess I'll have to sing and play acoustic guitar into the mic, unless one of Ken's studio musician friends is around. It's a good thing I used to know a lot of Grateful Dead (and other) songs. :lol:

Nick B:

--- Quote from: JayDee on September 15, 2020, 12:32:31 PM ---Hello Nick. Thanks for the welcome! My friend's name is Ken Goerres and his company is called Exakte, but he doesn't have a website. He often teams up with other manufacturers who use his cables at the CES show. If you search, you may find some reviews that included his speaker cables. Here is a great story that involved himself, Synergistic Research, a Tesla coil, and some French Horns.

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/hand-tuned-quantum-tunneled/

It's funny that you mention Dave of PI Audio, as he's one of the reasons I joined Audio Nervosa. I read that after Dave polished a Furutech FPX-Cu AC outlet, it rivaled their much more expensive GTX receptacles. I was already leaning towards the FPX-Cu before I read that. Now I want a polished one!

Ken does not particularly care for rhodium or gold plating. He does use silver plated copper wire in his designs, though. I read here that rhodium requires quite a break-in-period, so I've relayed that info to him. He's heard it all, and is skeptical of internet information, because he says you don't know that person's ears or listening system.

We're going to compare some different XLR connectors on this stereo microphone cable. We're starting with the standard pro audio Switchcraft and Neutrik, but I also ordered a pair of Vampires. Xhadow was out of stock, and I can't afford Bocchino at the moment. The Oyaide XLR with the Swarovsky rhinestone channel markers is said to sound very good too. Anyway, we're going to start by building two cables, one for him with all Neutriks, and my cable with Switchcraft A series. After that we'll swap out the Vampire XLR's on my cable and compare them. I guess I'll have to sing and play acoustic guitar into the mic, unless one of Ken's studio musician friends is around. It's a good thing I used to know a lot of Grateful Dead (and other) songs. :lol:

--- End quote ---

Hi Jason,

I did a search and your friend’s name and company came up quite a bit. The link you posted makes for quite interesting reading. It’s amazing what knowledge, persistence, attention to detail and having an open mind can accomplish.

You mentioned rhodium and indeed it has a reputation for a very, very long break in time. i’ve never tried it, but some members here swear by it.

I’d be curious and I’m sure other members as well as to your impressions of the tests you’re going to be performing. As we’ve discussed cabling, you might be interested to know that one of the members here, Pete G, is the owner and designer of TWL...Triode Wire Labs.

Nick

PS  I can see why you couldn’t afford the Bocchinos   :shock:

JayDee:
Hey Nick. I came across Triode Wire Labs recently, and almost ordered some stuff. It looks really good. There are some talented people here!

Another thing Ken told me is, he didn't like cryo treated stuff in his connector tests, either. I haven't tried any cryo treated gear yet, so I have no opinion on it. I should try things like rhodium and cryo, so I can form my own opinions.

I will post some impressions of our tests with the mic cable XLR connectors. I've never done an XLR comparison before, so it will be interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version