Systemic Development > Digital Audio Devices

ROUTERS ETHERNET SWITCHES

<< < (2/3) > >>

JBNY:
hmm, it should sound exactly the same. In my setup there is no difference between playing a local file or streaming it through my network.

Folsom:
Just noticed this

Jack:
Charles

I would run straight from the router you have from Fios if it is working like it should and update the power if you can.  Other than that if you want to upgrade the ethernet cable either a certified cable from BJC or I use the Supra Ethernet cables from Sweden.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supra-CAT-8-ETHERNET-cable-5-meter-Made-In-Sweden-THE-BEST-FOR-NETWORK-AUDIO/401935215073?hash=item5d9534a9e1:g:7OwAAOSwmmxW1lMz

dBe:

--- Quote from: JBNY on November 06, 2019, 05:28:10 PM ---hmm, it should sound exactly the same. In my setup there is no difference between playing a local file or streaming it through my network.

--- End quote ---
It can’t.  Your statement assumes that all of the attendant devices are perfect. Every component in a system has a distortion/ noise component.  Johnson noise, shot noise less than perfect CMRR, gate delays, DA, DF, et al, all add up to changing the quality of the transmitted signals.  There ain’t no free lunch.

JBNY:

--- Quote from: dBe on November 06, 2019, 11:12:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: JBNY on November 06, 2019, 05:28:10 PM ---hmm, it should sound exactly the same. In my setup there is no difference between playing a local file or streaming it through my network.

--- End quote ---
It can’t.  Your statement assumes that all of the attendant devices are perfect. Every component in a system has a distortion/ noise component.  Johnson noise, shot noise less than perfect CMRR, gate delays, DA, DF, et al, all add up to changing the quality of the transmitted signals.  There ain’t no free lunch.

--- End quote ---

but none of that is true at all, until it is translated to an analog signal there is no difference at all between the two files ever. The only reason it sounds different is if a poorly made DAC is used that introduces noise into the analog domain. Unfortunately this is pretty common with high end DACs as they are very good at designing circuits but not very good at working with computers, so most of their output stage is plagued by high levels of distortion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version