Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 29956 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »
Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and here…do expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didn’t want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrange…and there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really don’t have any record tracks to evaluate soundstage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When I’ve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then I’ll mess with speaker placement a bit more.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and here…do expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didn’t want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrange…and there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really don’t have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When I’ve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then I’ll mess with speaker placement a bit more.

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »

a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrange…and there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really don’t have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »

charles
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, that’s what I’ll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »

charles

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, that’s what I’ll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.

Have fun. Enjoy your trip.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

charles

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »

charles

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve

Hi Steve,
I’m still in California, but heading home tomorrow. Sure have missed my music! 🎶🎶 I need to still work on placement. I would think my m6 spikes have been delivered and once placement is dialed in, I’ll fill the stands with sand (thanks toobluvr… :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:09:50 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »
Well, am taking a brief break in between projects. Decided to install the m6 spikes from the UK (what a nice deal) and put them onto the Herbie’s cone/spike puckies. Fired things up mid day, (system cold) which I rarely do. What a nice improvement. Improved resolution of instrument timbre, of individual voices within a chorus, cleaner bass. This is just playing a few songs I’m familiar with.

I’ll listen a little more, then back to projects. Oh, this is without sand. Just didn’t want to get to it yet. The speaker stand top plate has 4 bolts, so it should be pretty simple to do.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
Finally got around to buying playground sand. Nice and clean. Opened up the bag and have some in a bucket ready to go for tomorrow for the speaker stands.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »
I saw a featured system at Agon and the owner used various footers including Eden Sound Terra Stone bearings and a guy who posted a comment said that he could elicit quite a change by simply changing the bearing materials on diy roller blocks. His wife could easily note the improvement.

What do diy roller blocks look like? Anyone tried this and used different materials? My setup is sounding so nice nowadays that isolation tweaks are absolutely worth a try. My rack is a Pangea, which is nicely built and quite sturdy. I see videos of them being used at shows. The shelves, however, are not isolated from each other.

I was looking at some ISO Gaia’s, but they’re a little pricey and I have 5 components that might benefit from resonance control. Was also at Herbie’s. Anyone used any of his stuff?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have some blocks that use steel balls, and the type of steel ball material makes a sonic difference in my system as well. I don't use them anymore, completely switched to isolation, and now use 12" bicycle inner tubes that are partially blown up. Walmart has them for ~$5.00 each. 

Cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
I saw a featured system at Agon and the owner used various footers including Eden Sound Terra Stone bearings and a guy who posted a comment said that he could elicit quite a change by simply changing the bearing materials on diy roller blocks. His wife could easily note the improvement.

What do diy roller blocks look like? Anyone tried this and used different materials? My setup is sounding so nice nowadays that isolation tweaks are absolutely worth a try. My rack is a Pangea, which is nicely built and quite sturdy. I see videos of them being used at shows. The shelves, however, are not isolated from each other.

I was looking at some ISO Gaia’s, but they’re a little pricey and I have 5 components that might benefit from resonance control. Was also at Herbie’s. Anyone used any of his stuff?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have some blocks that use steel balls, and the type of steel ball material makes a sonic difference in my system as well. I don't use them anymore, completely switched to isolation, and now use 12" bicycle inner tubes that are partially blown up. Walmart has them for ~$5.00 each. 

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

One of the guys here sent me round mdf? discs with steel balls. I haven’t tried using them yet. On my to do list… As to the bicycle tubes, that’s an interesting idea and I don’t think any of the other guys here have mentioned that. It would quite fun to try.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2021, 05:49:46 PM »
Nick

According to George, the machinist and AudioShark member, who made those Iso Pods that is some type of composite material but not MDF.  We could never get him to disclose the exact formula or the source of the material.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2021, 06:07:03 PM »
Nick

According to George, the machinist and AudioShark member, who made those Iso Pods that is some type of composite material but not MDF.  We could never get him to disclose the exact formula or the source of the material.

Ok, Jack… a secret material. I will be curious if I detect any difference from the inexpensive pads I have. I am a little tempted to buy some tiny tungsten ball bearings  from Amazon.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »
George owned a precision machine shop in Tampa at the time and I think he considered trying to sell them commercially on Amazon or Ebay so wouldn't disclose the material makeup.  I suspect it was something he got from another client who was using the material for a different application. This is the supplied bearings, G25 Precision Chromium Chrome Steel Bearing Balls AISI 52100.  He talked about trying the ceramic ones but never said if he did or not as he sold the shop and retired and bought a very large bus style motorhome a short time later.  Other than the trick of placement if you are doing it on you own they seem to work the same at the Rollerblock Jr.'s I have.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
Bigger bearings are better. I am using 10mm tungsten carbide bearings from
McMaster-Carr. 10mm balls are about $10 and 12mm are $15 I went cheap.
Scotty