Self Medicating > General DIY

Pizza Box v2.0 Class D amp project

(1/4) > >>

HAL:
Wanted to try out the Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra Class D amp modules and decided to purchase a pair of DIY modules from Leo.

Decided to try out a different SMPS DC power supply, so purchased a pair of Mean Well SMPS for 36VDC @13.8A PFC version units to stack for the +/-36VDC power supply requirement.  This version SMPS has an aluminum case for cooling and shielding.  Yes, this does mean the total SMPS is capable of 1000W power to the amp modules.  This will probably need a soft start circuit added eventually.

I am terrible at making chassis for projects, so picked up some 16in pizza boxes for the temporary housing.  Used something similar for the LM3886 Chip Amp project awhile ago, but these are better built boxes.  The SMPS are actually lighter than the toroidal transformers I used for the earlier amp linear power supply.

Testing the SMPS first to make sure stacking is not a problem with small load resistors before connection to the DIY amp modules.  :D

Nick B:
Interesting project, Rich. I really enjoy my Ultra. Will it be necessary to shield the power supplies from the main boards to get better performance?

Nick

HAL:
Nick,
Not sure but the SMPS are already shielded, so might be simple with moving the amp modules away.  I really like the original Starkrimson monoblocks with the external SMPS over putting the supply in the chassis. 

Nick B:

--- Quote from: HAL on May 23, 2023, 12:44:22 PM ---Nick,
Not sure but the SMPS are already shielded, so might be simple with moving the amp modules away.  I really like the original Starkrimson monoblocks with the external SMPS over putting the supply in the chassis.

--- End quote ---

Rich,

I like the idea of separating/isolating the power supplies. Have you ever used vibration control devices to see if you squeeze max performance out of a device? Years ago, Steve McCormack told me he was using small still points within the chassis and it improved the sound. I didn’t ask what the exact implementation was.

Nick

HAL:

--- Quote from: Nick B on May 24, 2023, 12:24:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: HAL on May 23, 2023, 12:44:22 PM ---Nick,

--- End quote ---

Rich,

I like the idea of separating/isolating the power supplies. Have you ever used vibration control devices to see if you squeeze max performance out of a device? Years ago, Steve McCormack told me he was using small still points within the chassis and it improved the sound. I didn’t ask what the exact implementation was.

Nick

--- End quote ---
Nick,
I have used feet made with Navcom and Sorbothane on electronics for vibration damping.  This helps isolate any mechanical noise going either way.  I use hard points to couple speakers to the floor for stability and not moving, so the opposite of damping.  If the speaker cabinet moves with vibration not a good thing.

Just my way of thinking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version