Author Topic: I think MM cartridges are great with one important modification...  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Since 99% of them have removable stylus's the one thing I've noticed that is important is the plastic body of the stylus usually needs a piece of damping material applied. I use no-rez. I'm sure just about anything would be ok. Although I am curious if some of them you could just toss the body and insert the metal diamond shape without it (the shape also has the cantilever attached to it).

Anyways, I apply it to the face. On some stylus also the sides if they're thin.

The irony here is to enjoy a fabulous MM you need a nice stereo, otherwise it's not going to be too riveting and you may want an MC to bump your enjoyment as they can make up for a lot of a stereo's downsides.

Recommendations for a cart are sorta challenging because it's easier to recommend one based on what your stereo already sound like, but always anything but conical. If you want to start at neutral... well that's a long road.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: I think MM cartridges are great with one important modification...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
Hence the reason that some of the best MM carts on the market, like for example the Grado wood body series, come with fixed non user replaceable styli
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I think MM cartridges are great with one important modification...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:26 PM »
True! But I must say I like the replaceable stylus so the small mod is a great way to go.

There is one caveat. If there's any wiggle in the styli you must use something to fix it like a piece of paper between it and the cartridge body.