Author Topic: Favorite Gear of the 70s  (Read 32091 times)

pacifico

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« on: January 20, 2007, 07:16:32 PM »
I am just wondering what everyone's general opinion is on this. Is gear getting better, worse or staying the same. I know this is a very subjective question but is the gear from the 70s as good, worse or better than what's out there now.  Of course, what is some of your favorite stuff from that era?

I will post this in the speakers section too. Please keep this specific to amplifiers and since this is in the review section of this site, discuss specific examples as appropriate.

Nature Boy

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
I have always been a fan of 70's vintage Marantz and Harmon Kardon receivers.  Lot's of iron, built like tanks, and generally good FM reception compared to today's receivers.  Nothing like analog!!

NB

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:01:33 AM »
Quote from: "Nature Boy"
I have always been a fan of 70's vintage Marantz and Harmon Kardon receivers.  Lot's of iron, built like tanks, and generally good FM reception compared to today's receivers.  Nothing like analog!!

NB
i have owned several HK recievers dating from the 1960s up until the early 1990s and i used to pair them with Various Polk Audio loudspeakers. not the mass market Polks but the ones that were only available in fine high end shops around Baltimore and Annapolis at the time.Matt Polk was a College student at the Johns Hopkins Institute for Non destructive testing when he and his friend started Polk Audio out of a Humble two Car Garage in Baltimore.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

lonewolfny42

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »
The 70's....that was awhile ago. What I remember....Fisher, Scott, HK, and Dynaco...quiet a few friends had Dynaco.
IMO....most of todays equipment is better....made better, and with much better parts.
My first "real" stereo was a Pioneer....http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX1010.html
Still have it...packed away in the basement. I matched it up with Advent speakers....sounded good to me at that time..... :D

Offline miniminim

• Seeking Help
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:34:02 PM »
My first decent stereo was a Harmon tube integrated, can't remember the model, but this was '71 and it was a few years old. It wasn't very powerful at all, but had blue "on" light (!) and sounded nice with my AR4x speakers and PE (Perpetuum Ebner, or something) turntable and Shure M91ED, I think, cartridge. The PE was a decent table of the Dual type, but a little better.
I also had a Dynaco SCA 35 integrated around the same time.

As with speakers, I think there's no question that amps are getting much better, over the last 15 - 20 years especially.

For me the turning point - the first time I really believed there was any advantage to any one amp over another with similar specs - was the Mission Cyrus I that the salesman almost forced me to take home to compare with the NAD I had which was rated at 3 times the power.

When I first turned it on and put a record on I went to the kitchen to make some coffee and heard the difference even from there. When I came back into the living room I could hardly believe my ears. There was no question within the first 30 seconds that I would be buying it, even though I would be trading down, from a recently bought new amp with, as I say, 3 times the power.
Also, for the previous year I had been wondering what was "wrong" with my system. This amp showed me there was really nothing wrong - now!

From then on I was like an evangelist to all my musician friends, exhorting them to get a decent amp and not waste their time with all the other system details until they had one.

I guess I still follow that general principle, except I believe the speakers are a little more important still.

westcoastman

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:50:15 AM »
My favorite gear of the 70's was Crown DC-150 Power amp with Crown IC-150 pre-amp along with 15 Altec Lansing bi-flex (420A) in custom cabinets. Could make waves in the toilet bowl with these babys.

I do miss this days.

WEEZ

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
Hey, I used a Crown IC-150 pre-amp for a while in the 70's.  :)

I really lusted after the Crown tape decks...big ass 10" reels; 15"ps; and they also had those cool walnut cabinets as options. 8)

My favorite stereo shop back then carried (3) electronic brands: Crown, MacIntosh, and Marantz.  8-[ . I almost peed myself in that shop a few times.

:lol:

shep

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 01:49:15 PM »
79' I think. My first hi-end amp, an Audio Research 52b, followed closely by my first Maggies.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
I moved from Sansui and AR 3a's to citation gear,(pre & amp) and early Polk Audio speakers  :D

thechairguy

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »
Just bought a fully updated APT-Holman preamp (circa 1978 or so).  This was the golden age of vinyl before being thrown off the CD cliff and most, if not all preamps had decent vinyl stages (pre-CD era).

The APT-Holman (lovingly made by the man that later brought the world THX - stands for Tomlinson Holman EXperience ) had a particularly good and quiet one with lots of cartridge capacitance loading options and good headphone outs, too.

I'm pumped, but I've had nothing but poor results with SS preamps in the past 3 years....but I just keep trying 'cause I'm thick in da' head  :lol:

Actually, it'll be paired with monoblock tube amps - seems the chain does need tubes somewhere for music to be fully enjoyed (to me)

Offline miniminim

• Seeking Help
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:48:01 AM »
I have an Apt Holman pre, too. I used it as a studio pre from '89 to '98. Now it functions as an auxiliary preamp, sending phono, cassette and reel to reel tape to my main preamp.

I would be interested in knowing what was involved with the updating, because I contacted Tomlinson to ask what he would do, from the perspective of having had all those years to think about it, to make it better. Where would he put better caps, what would he choose, and on and on. He did respond, surprisingly, but said he wouldn't do anything since it was all designed and voiced as a piece.

I really value that stereo/mono mode knob, and in fact have used it to de-construct an improperly decoded MS recording by extracting the S signal from a stereo signal, putting it through an analog MS decoder as the M signal - it's too long a story, but it worked and sounded great.

The companion power amps were nowhere near as good.

By the way I also have the (very thorough) manual and Tomlinson mentions specifically that the preamp is ready for the increased dynamics of digital - still yet to come.

This, to me, is the 1956 Lincoln Continental of preamps! (the one with the subtle spare tire hump on the rear of the trunk lid - cost $13,000 in 1956 in Canada when the Fairlane cost $3000)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 07:13:41 AM »
Let's see...

Audio Research SP3A1
Audio Research D79
Snell A's
AR TT with Grace Arm and Grace F9E

That's still a pretty sweet sounding system.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 08:14:24 AM »
Hey my brother still has an APT/Holman pre...wonder what they're worth today?

WEEZ

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 10:07:37 AM »
Let's see...

The Ampzilla amps - Ampzilla, son, grandson
The Mac 2205 (I think that's the number, it's been a while...) powering DQ10s.
The first Hafler amp and pre.
In the early '80s - the Sumo amps - power, half power, and nine

I'd agree with the HK receivers and integrateds, I'd add Yamaha and Luxman to the list.  Nad 3020 anyone?

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
Favorite Gear of the 70s
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 06:08:11 PM »
My experience dates back to 1971, and I would say that the only thing that was better then and inferior today is/are tuners.  And when you adjust for inflation, much of today's stuff is almost ridiculously better.  As Carly Simon sang - These are the good old days!