Author Topic: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL  (Read 35577 times)

evan1

Re: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
Congratulations. Your account is suspended.   :-P

Welcome to the 5 bars club!!

You know longer have the power dude :rofl:

evan1

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »
Hi there Ev,

I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you since I have  ProJect TT also, which I think uses the same arm.

I can never seem to get the position of the loop that holds the anti-skate wire right. When I do what's in the manual (hard to interpret and implement, IMO), one part of the arm (not the arm, but the ring thingy that holds the arm) will actually hit the anti-skate string as the arm is at the very inner part of a record.

- Does your AS string clear all parts of the arm at the very inner grooves of the record, and by how much?  At which AS groove on the TT?

I really don't like the AS setup on this arm - Can't be good to have something that is swinging side to side being attached to the tonearm  :duh  I sometimes just take the damn thing off and swear it sounds better.

- If you want you can check out my Speed Box MKII, or Tube Box SE phono stage.

- I also have the fancy ProJect cartridge alignment tool which is made for our arms. Feel free...

- I find that my belt always sticks to the platter (sign that I don't use the TT enough I guess) and I have had one belt deteriorate on me - Brittle to the point that it crumbled in my hands.

- Whorin' for my bro here, but he is a ProJect dealer so if you need anything else...

Mike
That string was a pain in ASS . I have mine on the middle ring as per the Needle Doctor and it clears my arm with no problem.

Just ordered a Denon DL110 cartridge form Music Direct. Only 1 left,hope its new.

eleazar

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
Evan the Denon should arrive at your place by Thursday according to the USPS

Let me know what you think of the Denon.......Bill

evan1

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
Evan the Denon should arrive at your place by Thursday according to the USPS

Let me know what you think of the Denon.......Bill

Thanks

What do you guys think  spin doctor or Kab ev1

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
If you go Spin Doctor you can have mine for $50, I used it 3 times then got a VPI 16.5.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »
If you go Spin Doctor you can have mine for $50, I used it 3 times then got a VPI 16.5.

Big Shot... I'll send you a pm

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »
Hey Evan, if you're looking for more clearance after getting VTA and AS setup, there is a tiny hex nut you can unscrew to change the arm-lifter mechanism so you can get everything to line up with plenty of clearance.  I just did all this... When you adjust one thing, it moves everything else out of whack a little. 

The string/weight thing is a little challenging. ;)  But I've been using the Pro-ject's for so long I forgot what 'easy' was like.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

evan1

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
Hey Evan, if you're looking for more clearance after getting VTA and AS setup, there is a tiny hex nut you can unscrew to change the arm-lifter mechanism so you can get everything to line up with plenty of clearance.  I just did all this... When you adjust one thing, it moves everything else out of whack a little. 

The string/weight thing is a little challenging. ;)  But I've been using the Pro-ject's for so long I forgot what 'easy' was like.

-C

The only clearance problem I have is with the arm rest. I have to the move the arm up and over when playing or returning the arm to the rest

evan1

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
My Denon DL110 Cartridge came in today as well as the DL301 from Bill. I installed the the DL 110 and it sounds very good compared to that garbage Oyster cartridge night and day. Only problem is I know its not set up corretcly. I'm having problems with the weight on the tone arm and its skipping. I need help. Needle Doctor helped as best as he can over the phone. I am frustrated. I need some local help. Anyone want to come over Friday and help me I'm off all day. Would love to do it when the wife isn't home.  PM me

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
call wes :o he may be able to help
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
I'll serve Pizza :yay2:

evan1

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
Running the weight heavier , no anti skate, sounds good and NO NOISE but I know its not correct

evan1

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »
call wes :o he may be able to help

He was you know where last week and never made it here. I know he's always busy so I'll have to pass on him

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »
Running the weight heavier , no anti skate, sounds good and NO NOISE but I know its not correct

Do you have a stylus gauge to accurately set weight with?

Need to set VTA & VTF

Read this. Test in the morning.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Back to Deadwood.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »
Great article Putz! Thanks