Author Topic: Elac Debut  (Read 19374 times)

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Re: Elac Debut
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
My first thought when I saw the price Danny wanted for this mod was why not just buy the F5 floorstanders and save $10? But now I see Danny has lowered his last night's opening mod price from $290 for a $280/pair bookshelf (turned ugly) to $76 tonight. Hum,,,,,,

Edit, my bad, I see Danny is offering 2 mods so his Mod#2 for $290 stands and so does my thought about just buying the F5 floodstanders instead of Danny's $290 on the bookshelves and saving $10?

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:42:20 PM by satfrat »
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 02:25:13 AM »
Very interesting thread to see behind the scenes.

Perhaps a modded pair should be shown against a stock pair, let the truth be shown that way, then it ends the back and forth bickering and the silly interjections from people who have no idea what they are talking about
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 05:25:01 AM »

Perhaps a modded pair should be shown against a stock pair, let the truth be shown that way, then it ends the back and forth bickering and the silly interjections from people who have no idea what they are talking about

+1 Mike. (I'm starting to worry... I am agreeing more and more with you lately!  :rofl:)  An A<>B comparison would be awesome. No more theory and/or speculation - just our ears as the judge. Ultimately, it will still come down to personal preference, but it will be a palpable comparison.  Everyone could then determine whether they like the modded pair better and decide if the additional costs are worth it to them.

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »
I like the idea that the designer who is obviously very talented created the best sound at a specified price point. The best sound using his skill set. By modding you are just changing the sound. I would rather wait and buy an original design at a higher price point from Andrew. That makes more sense than modding.
Its cool ndude.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
Ditto.
I like the idea that the designer who is obviously very talented created the best sound at a specified price point. The best sound using his skill set. By modding you are just changing the sound. I would rather wait and buy an original design at a higher price point from Andrew. That makes more sense than modding.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
No worries Bill, if you and I hung out we'd be friends in no time.

I am just tired of all the audio BS.. too much of it for too long has given me a short fuse, but all in all I am a very amiable fellow :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
No worries Bill, if you and I hung out we'd be friends in no time.

I am just tired of all the audio BS.. too much of it for too long has given me a short fuse, but all in all I am a very amiable fellow :thumb:

I was just goofing on you, Mike!   8)

Just from the occasional Rave or audio GTG here and there that we've both been to, I'm sure that being buddies would be a pretty sure bet. (Especially if we lived closer.)  I am usually a very PC (no, I'm not talking choice of computer platforms!) kind of person up to an extent, then I too can get worn down by all of it. Just keep telling' like it is (without getting too personal) and keeping' it real.  That's what makes for some very interesting banter here on the forum.  Occasionally, we even learn something along the way too! :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 06:18:54 PM »

I agree, It isn't so much that he is doing the mods. Its the assumption that it makes it better in fidelity. Maybe its the little resonant spikes that make that speaker interesting to begin with? I like the soft MDF. I also like taking the trimming off. I would have done that anyways.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
The B6 speakers need to sit on a stand or some thought out shelving. The stands are not considered here but really should be. Here are the Elac stands. What does GR plan on sitting those speakers on?  Some of the problems faced with doing mods on speakers is the base or stand or feet as an afterthought. I am also assuming, consideration was made by Elac, how they want their speakers to sound on these stands.

http://www.elac.com/en/products/Stands_and_mounts/LS_30/index.php

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »
Well I couldn't help myself and I bought the Elac Debut 6 from MusicDirect. This is one fun sounding speaker. Definitely more enjoyable to my ears vs the JBL LSR305s I had previously. The stands I'm using with these speakers are sand filled Bowers & Wilkins - STAV 24 S2 Speaker Stands. I've been playing all sorts of music with it and in my system these speakers really excel with Jazz music.

I find the sound of the Debut 6 speakers an enjoyable change of pace from my Ohm Walsh Micro Short SE speakers. They are on par with the Ohms sound wise and those speakers cost about $1600. Depending on the dust situation I may keep the grills on the Elacs.

I spoke to Adrian at MusicDirect and he told me these speakers were powered with Yamaha amps when they had them. I may try them with my Jolida later. I'm not going to have them modified as I find no issues with them. If someone gets a pair modified let me know and maybe we can do a test comparison.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:28:39 PM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
  Cool sleepyguy, enjoy !!! To all danny is a very talented designer. He compares and listens to his designs and mods after extensive measurements.
   I would like to hear a head to head comparison as well. My educated guess would be that Danny's version would be better.
   We will never actually know until comparing directly.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Personally, I'd not mess with others' designs.

Andrew handled the whole situation pretty gentlemanly.
  Cool sleepyguy, enjoy !!! To all danny is a very talented designer. He compares and listens to his designs and mods after extensive measurements.
   I would like to hear a head to head comparison as well. My educated guess would be that Danny's version would be better.
   We will never actually know until comparing directly.

charles
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline James Edward

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
At RMAF, people were laughing at how good the F5 sounded. Jones was using an expensive front end (I don't remember specifics) to show just how good they could be. So they seem to respond well to higher end equipment.
Enjoy them Sleepy Guy.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
At RMAF2015 they were using the new Audio Alchemy preamp and power amps to drive the Elac F5's.  Sounded very good.  He was using a Music Server as the front end.

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 06:31:26 AM »
I've been playing them with the new VPI integrated 299D.  Music, sweet sweet music.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired