Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 14288 times)

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
Congrats, they are excellent speakers. Hopefully you will have good synergy with your components!
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
Congrats, they are excellent speakers. Hopefully you will have good synergy with your components!

Thanks Joe. That was a consideration as well. The amps I have mate well. You know something will change though, it always does.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »

Thanks Joe. That was a consideration as well. The amps I have mate well. You know something will change though, it always does.

charles
Guess I will have to make a short pair as I recall they were just about scraping your basement ceiling !!

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
Was wondering if you knew about this decision yet Greg  :roll:

Choices, choices... what finish are you thinking of Charles?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »

Sure, he keeps me in the loop. I wonder if his wife is aware of his decision ??  :rofl:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »

Sure, he keeps me in the loop. I wonder if his wife is aware of his decision ??  :rofl:

She'll figure it outwhen she comes home and says "Charles, why are the Pipedreams in the driveway?"   :rofl: :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
   Not sure of the finish yet. About 1 1/2 " shorter in hgt to bypass the beam drop in the clg. Need to find out height of Herbie's decoupling gliders so we can determine exact size.
    Internal wiring is up in the air right now. Thinking of TWL for bass and mids and Duelund for tweeter. As designed without that the speaker sounds great. We will test the wires and make a final decision.
     The beauty of dealing with Greg is a custom design can be had as well. Each speaker is hand made to order. Options are unlimited if one desires. The minimal crossover can easily accommodate the cap of choice. The inductor a Creek needs no improvement. The one cap can be anything one desires.
    The reason I choose the GTA-2 is its seamless integration of the sub. A true linear presentation. It erks me that speakers do not go down low in the bass region for big bucks. could never spend $6500 on a speaker that does not go below 35Hz. Are you kidding me. A piano goes down to 28Hz for goodness sake. Organ fugetaboutit. IMO without low bass go home.
    Room acoustics will require adj. with the dipoles. They sing their best with a dead front wall and diffusion at side and rear walls. No biggie had it that way with the Maggies. They were good. However the GTA just blows them out of the water. No way can they match the sheer dynamics and bass of the GTA. Period.  They can rock at some serious SPLs without breaking up.
    The WF is non relevant. I married a great Woman. Whatever I do with audio I have her blessing.  A truly lucky guy.
    Amp wise the Arions are a match made in Heaven. I can color it up with a tubed amp however would rather not. The Dodd preamp mated well and the Mundorf gold,silver PIO caps provide all the color I want.  :roll: For now  :duh
       TWL cords  and dedicated Uberbuss will feed the subs. Ooh La La.
     Some lucky guy who has the proper space will get a great deal on the Pipedreams.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
  Well men after hemming and hawing for some time now decided to keep the Pipedreams.
   After trying a high pass filter on the amps and dual subs crossed over at 73db they are not going anywhere.
    I did myself a injustice by never optimizing the Pipedreams. The Pipes really need to be limited in bass energy not needed for the mid-bass drivers. Using a .0022cap at the input of the amp just changed everything for me. Then dialing up the subs to match was well breathtaking. WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR?  :duh :duh :duh
  Now that I have heard them that way two open baffle subs from Danny Richie of GR Research with Rhythmic plate amps are in my future. Not expensive and solves my biggest issue of relieving the main towers of the low bass energy and properly crossing them over. Thanks Danny big time.

charles