Author Topic: Getting ready for LSAF 2023 demo room  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Getting ready for LSAF 2023 demo room
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2023, 06:09:17 PM »
Guys,
Sorry to hear about all the problems.  After recent water damage in my audio room, I can relate.

On a happy note, the LSAF2023 HAL room 204 is up and running with Qobuz for streaming and HAL's music library.  Early trials say this is the best sound to date.  Lots of LF capability for effortless reproduction.  :)

Sorry, but the room is not symmetrical, but no big deal for the sound quality.  :)

That’s good news, Rich. Any more fine tuning or you’re happy as is? Speaking of asymmetrical, I forgot where, but Klaus of Odyssey had the strangest shaped room I’ve ever seen. All things considered, it sounded pretty good.

Nick

PS   thanks for the photo 📷
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2023, 04:22:45 AM »
Nick,
The room is 15ftx15ft with a large opening to one side, not what I would call a listening room, but very similar to the CAF Hilton room layout.

The diffusors, bass traps and absorber panels are doing well!  This is a nearfield setup to minimize the room acoustics interactions.  Kinda like sitting in a giant pair of headphones with imaging.  It works very well. 

All the listener feedback has been very positive.  Makes the hard work and travel worthwhile.

Even the CAF and PAF show organizer stopped in today for a listen and he was very happy with the sound.  Who knows CAF2023 might be next. :)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2023, 10:25:23 AM »
Nick,
The room is 15ftx15ft with a large opening to one side, not what I would call a listening room, but very similar to the CAF Hilton room layout.

The diffusors, bass traps and absorber panels are doing well!  This is a nearfield setup to minimize the room acoustics interactions.  Kinda like sitting in a giant pair of headphones with imaging.  It works very well. 

All the listener feedback has been very positive.  Makes the hard work and travel worthwhile.

Even the CAF and PAF show organizer stopped in today for a listen and he was very happy with the sound.  Who knows CAF2023 might be next. :)

That’s great news, Rich! Glad you were able to make it work well. CAF sounds like fun. A bit geographically undesirable for me ✈️

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2023, 02:16:35 PM »
So Rich, my man!

Reports are coming in that your room/system is sounding killer.  Good job.  Only bad thing is I'm not there to hear it for myself.  Instead, I'm catching upon laundry!  :rofl:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2023, 09:53:54 AM »
Just got back home.  There is no doubt that the HAL room was an unqualified success.  To make that crowded little room sound as good as it did was an amazing acoustical feat. 
The system played everything well... and people picked out just about everything as Rich had it connected to Qubuz.  I tried to contrast with my choices- picking classical piano and orchestral.  The Chopin nocturne placed a piano clearly on stage, with the listener within the first 10 rows.  Tone was stunningly good- seriously about as good as any speaker I've ever heard, and I've heard some good ones.  And to do it with a near field system was not anything I've heard before.  How close was that electrostatic mid/tweeter?? 7-8 ft?
There were a few other rooms that sounded pretty good (and a few that didn't), but nothing else was top of the line.  Rich's system was top of the line.    :thumb:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:56:54 AM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2023, 08:45:50 PM »
Scott,
Thanks for the wonderful comments!  :D

The Radian LM10n is a planar magnetic driver like your BG NEO8's.  It is a fairly new design available this year.  I grabbed a pair and with the standard on-axis measurements created a very flat frequency response for a driver that goes from 180Hz to 20KHz with some DSP correction.  The Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 for both Saturday and Sunday music replay was my 3 year old prototype running prototype AKM AK4499 DACs for 4 channels to drive the Magnetar II speakers planars and servo subs.  These are my new reference standard for a music DAC.  They are incredibly good when a great analog designer gets to build them for use.

Getting to see many old and new friends is always the highlight of going to or running a show room.  Makes the work all worthwhile!  My nephew really enjoyed getting to see his first show where he worked for the weekend and with setup and teardown.  He loves music as well. :)

Now some rest for packup tomorrow!

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2023, 09:14:50 PM »
Scott,

The Radian LM10n is a planar magnetic driver like your BG NEO8's.  It is a fairly new design available this year.  I grabbed a pair and with the standard on-axis measurements created a very flat frequency response for a driver that goes from 180Hz to 20KHz with some DSP correction.  The Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 for both Saturday and Sunday music replay was my 3 year old prototype running prototype AKM AK4499 DACs for 4 channels to drive the Magnetar II speakers planars and servo subs.  These are my new reference standard for a music DAC.  They are incredibly good when a great analog designer gets to build them for use.

Getting to see many old and new friends is always the highlight of going to or running a show room.  Makes the work all worthwhile!  My nephew really enjoyed getting to see his first show where he worked for the weekend and with setup and teardown.  He loves music as well. :)

Awesome show, Brother.  I'm so sad that I couldn't be there (again).  Sometimes (mostly lately) life sux.

You've chased this for a long time.  Congrats!👍🏼
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2023, 09:27:26 PM »
Scott,

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2023, 06:00:23 AM »
Scott,

Awesome show, Brother.  I'm so sad that I couldn't be there (again).  Sometimes (mostly lately) life sux.

Dave,
Thanks! Your are still here in spirit as some of the ideas used in the design were ones we discussed.  Al is a really good analog designer besides the digital side.

Even Danny gave it a big thumbs up! :)

I maybe putting something together for CAF2023 with the team, so look at your Nov schedule and give it a thought.

Rich

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2023, 10:56:45 AM »
Scott,

Dave,
Thanks! Your are still here in spirit as some of the ideas used in the design were ones we discussed.  Al is a really good analog designer besides the digital side.

Even Danny gave it a big thumbs up! :)

I maybe putting something together for CAF2023 with the team, so look at your Nov schedule and give it a thought.

Rich
:thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
Scott,

Rich,

Congratulations on a very successful show! It is my intention to attend next year and meet you and some of the guys. Glad your nephew is enjoying music 🎶 The last time I was in Texas was 1982.

Nick

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2023, 02:47:43 PM »
I guess no one took pics? I haven't seen any anywhere. Although I can't see too much on AC since I got shadowbanned for being against pedophilia...

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2023, 03:45:07 PM »
Let me describe it... a 10" planar magnetic in an open baffle winged frame.  Sitting next to a badass triple array of servo subs.   And some kind of magic box with a genie inside.   Rich was the wizard behind the curtain.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:49:06 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2023, 06:08:45 PM »
Here is the nearfield room setup from LSAF2023 room 204.

There were multiple video bloggers and only one talked to us.  The rest took video and moved on. 

The room was very busy, and with only 3 seats and one sweet spot that we rotated people in for their requests with Qobuz, took awhile to get everyone in. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2023, 07:04:51 PM »
Heading home starting today from LSAF2023.

Was a great show and got to meet up with lots of old and new friends to listen to music for the weekend!