Author Topic: I love Stewart Filmscreen....  (Read 7341 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I love Stewart Filmscreen....
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:35:15 PM »
It's been a while since I've installed a Stewart Filmscreen product.  As good as they are, what usually makes folks shy away from them is the price.  While they are the industry reference standard and offer incredible products that result in fantastic picture quality, there is no denying that it definitely comes at a price premium compared to some of the competition.  Who wants to pay $3K for a white screen when I can get blackout fabric at Joann's fabric for $7 a yard?... or paint the screen on the wall?  or get one of the dozens of companys selling a $100 manual pull down screen?

Yes, you can certainly get a cheaper screen.  Some of them are even very good quality.  The Carada stuff is pretty good for the money, although I've noticed their pricing is creeping up.  Some of the unique offerings from Dalite should not be overlooked.  The High Power material is a really good option for some folks.  99% of the screens I've done recently have been Dalite's with the High Power material.  It allows for a bigger screen with a lower lumen projector or just gives more pop to the image while doing a bit of light rejection at the same time.  My one knock against it is that the fixed wall versions mean needing to snap the screen material onto the frame and it is not fun.

Overall, there is just nothing like working with a Stewart.  All the extra attention to detail.  The thing just flat out exudes quality and working with it is such a dream. 

I just put a new 100" Luxus Deluxe Screenwall in my theater room area last night.  It replaces a Vutec Silverstar that I sold with the demo projector that was in there to a good friend and customer of mine that was looking to do a nice basement setup for his children without breaking the bank.

I don't remember now how many Stewart screens I've installed over the years.  It all blends together after a while.  But it definitely has been quite some time since I've done my most recent install.  I'd forgotten how logical it all is.  The packaging is top shelf.  Everything just flat out makes sense.  The instructions are very well done but you don't need them at all. 

< 30 minutes... I unpacked, unwrapped, laid out, assembled, found the mount points on the wall, test fit the frame to the wall and hung it, installed the screen material, and finally hung the assembled product on the wall in under 30 minutes... by myself... It would take that long (with the specially included tool) to struggle to snap the material on the frame of the Dalite alone.  It was so easy a child could do it. 

I love Stewart Filmscreen.  Everything was test fit during the screen building.  Everything went together effortlessly and fit like a glove.  No mass production.  No doing things to a certain tolerance and let the end user struggle during assembly.  Everything is done one screen at a time.  You pay for it.  But gosh darn it if it isn't worth it when the final product looks like it does and offers the picture quality it does.

Ahhh... JVC RS-25 projector displaying inky blacks on a new Stewart screen... I'm in videophile heaven....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I love Stewart Filmscreen....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:06:06 AM »
<edit- removed some posts so this doesn't make sense.. >Just an old name from a past long ago (not my past you understand, well not in that way, oh damn ... I'll just shut up now). Sorry to disrupt the thread. </edit - now back to the thread... >

I wish I had the room and the coin to do a home theater project on this scale. It must be truly outstanding.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:06:29 AM by Carlman »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I love Stewart Filmscreen....
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:49:44 AM »
watched a full movie last night....  yup, I'm done for a while...

It's hard to describe to someone how much more right something looks when the color balance is truly correct across the entire video bandwidth without the screen creating non-linear color shift.  The depth to the image was startling.... and I've installed my share of 3 chip DLP machines including the sim2 units.  This is officially my point of diminishing returns.  The 100" size is absolutely perfect for my smallish room size and where my viewing seat is located.  Now to get some better seating and you'll be hearing a lot less from me as that's where I'll be most nights when I'm not listening in the two channel room....

The Stewart screen is such a step up over the Vutec that was there... and the Vutec is a really nice screen. 
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......