Author Topic: Audio Resolutions  (Read 5248 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Audio Resolutions
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:44:34 PM »
A little play on words maybe, but what goals do you hold for yourself in the coming year with regard to your audio hobby? What gear do you want to get (or get rid of...), what do you want to learn, build, try, audition? Who would you like to meet, travel to a show? Let's hear it!

I want to build a complete DIY audio system that sounds at least as good as what I have now. Using kits or other peoples' knowledge, not designing my own from scratch, that would suck. I want to build every last bit of it, except maybe the cables and tables. I don't know if I will ever get there, but this year I hope to build an Aikido tube preamp, acoustic treatments, at least one speaker system,  a couple amp projects, like Elliot project 101, and maybe twisted pear overture, maybe a battery powered chip amp monoblock. And at least one more anechoic chamber experiment.

I hope to make more posts on AN about what I'm doing and thinking about, because I love getting feedback and sharing ideas with you guys. I tend to keep it inside thinking it is too much or too weird, but AN is just the place to encourage eccentricity and audio excess.  :rofl:

Let's spice it up in 2008!
Happy New year all!
Rich

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Audio Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »
Go..Rich..Go!!

I'd have to say that I'm pretty well pleased with 'audio' things...as they are.

Of course, I need to divest myself of multiple extra speaker systems, and electronics. Maybe, that would open up a lot of storage space...so that I could clean out the house  :duh!

I've always wanted to build my own speakers, but I'm not sure I could beat what I have now. I'd like to have the knowledge to design amps, preamps, dacs, etc...from scratch, but I don't think I have enough time left in this lifetime to accomplish that feat  :roll:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »
Oh, lets see:

1.  Make a source commitment (Choices are to continue modding my S3 and add an expensive power supply or stop the modding and add a DAC).
2.  Finally, rearrange my room to eliminate the current near-field listening position.
3.  Add dedicated electrical lines and cryoed outlets for my audio/video gear.
4.  Contruct some room treatments.

I believe this is an achievable list, I just need to get started!

Ken

bluemike

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
I'm looking for a speaker upgrade

I have my eye on the Ridge Street Sasons  :drool:

Treatments, I need to look at those as well

It's gonna be another fun year  :)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 06:09:38 AM »
My 'audio resolution' is kind of boring: Get basement finished.  Right now it's looking like it might just happen by Spring.... fingers crossed.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 06:45:05 AM »
Well, I say this every year - more music, less nervosa (but I kinda suck at this one ;-)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
   For now happy with the system. The room needs some work. Can'y play any Golf now so its audio time. Would love to know how to build a kit. Maybe an electronics night course. I believe DIY projects are on the rise and with all the info available why not. Richadoo that Akito with 6SN7 sounds interesting. Thinking about a TVC with a tubed analog input gain stage. Maybe best of both worlds. It will be fun trying.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

AcidJazz

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
Clear out some of the accumulated stuff from the past 15years...I think I have reached a point where I am happy with my recent acquisitions, so it time to let go of some of the old stuff.

ik632

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
1. Build my component rack
2. Get the rest of my vintage components
3. Some sort of outdoor speakers (maybe rock ones again or possibly mushrooms)
4. Help Carl celebrate finishing his basement.   :beer:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 07:50:44 PM »
A little play on words maybe, but what goals do you hold for yourself in the coming year with regard to your audio hobby? What gear do you want to get (or get rid of...), what do you want to learn, build, try, audition? Who would you like to meet, travel to a show? Let's hear it!

2008 is the year I finally take the plunge and try out some tube based gear!  :D I'm a tube virgin and that is about to change.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:44:40 AM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »
1) Replace my aging turntable - I'm thinking either a SOTA Cosmos, or a Teres 320, or maybe the baby Raven, then either a triplanar or a phantom -  I'm open to other suggestions, just keep the arm and table around 10K.  My wife agreed to replace the table, but I don't think she knows what that may cost :-$

2) I think it's time to experiment with more power - the 2A3 is sounding a little strained at higher levels.  I may filter the input first to see if dumping the bass helps (it should), otherwise it's time to look at higher power SETs.

3) Maybe I should replace the tubes in my Herron phono stage.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind the following to occur re: potential upgrading:

1) have my speaker crossovers rebuilt and speakers set up to be biwired; and
2) maybe (if the speakers were made biwireable) consider purchasing new speaker cables, say, through a Grover SC group buy.

I think that's it. I'd perhaps like to sell off a couple pairs of ICs I no longer use, as well as some spare tubes (some nice NOS 5751s including Sylvania yellow label TMBs, and GE TMBs).

However, if I ran into $3.5K that was lying around, I'd like to try the Gallo 3.1 speakers in my system. If I had about double that amount, I'd also like to try the ModWright LS 36.5 preamp with the PS 36.5 dual-mono power supply. With my daughter in college, there's little chance of either happening! :rofl: :rofl: And, since I'm into dreamworld here, let me try: the ModWright SWLP 9.0SE phono preamp, Ray Samuels' Emmeline XR-10B Phono Stage, as well as Samuels' Emmeline II B-52 Pre-Amp/Headphone Amp. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind being able to afford to send my vintage Fisher 800B receiver down to the Fisher Doctor or some other equally qualified individual to have the RestoKit installed and the unit given a through inspection.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
Now that is a REAL new year's resolution, Dave! I hope you are surprised this time next year to have achieved a large portion of your resolutions! You know what you want when the opportunity comes... That's why kids have so many toys. haha

I did hear the Gallos with CJ tube electronics once, very, very nice feeling. Real tube beauty fully revealed, only surpassed in my experience by Daedaleus speakers playing ART 45 amps at RMAF. Sexy!
Rich