Author Topic: I used to be somewhat skeptical about Black Sand PC's........  (Read 24472 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Today, I rec'd a Black Sand Silver Reference MK V from an Agon seller for a really great price. The cord has little or no use. Put it on my Aberdeen SB 2 power supply and was hoping for, but not really expecting, a good improvement over the cheapie (but good for the money) Volex. I was absolutely amazed. I don't want to use a bunch of audiophile hyperbole, but the improvement just using it in the PS was stunning. Not only did it resolve much better, but it also took the edge off and presented a much more "organic" sound. I'm paraphrasing a description I've heard Jim (Double Ugly) use. This cord is so good that I've emailed the seller and asked for another 2 meter cord and asked if he has a 3rd available. Since I have CIA D200's, I'm hopeful that I'd have a similar improvement using these super cords. The other thought I had was getting the 3rd cord from www.lessloss.com over in Lithuania. But that's an additional couple of hundred $$ and I'm not sure I want to spend the money.
I can't figure out why I could have such improvement using it in the power supply  because that is connected via a 5 v umbilical to the SB 2. Makes no sense, not that I really care at this point. I'd be curious about some comments and maybe John at Black Sand could tell me why it would be so useful in this application. Mega thanks to John for a great product.
 :beer:   :beer:
Nick
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:35:33 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

lonewolfny42

Re: I used to be somewhat skeptical about Black Sand PC's........
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
Nick....

I can't figure out why I could have such improvement using it in the power supply  because that is connected via a 5 v umbilical to the SB 2. Makes no sense, not that I really care at this point.

It must be.....voodoo......(just kidding...of course... :rofl: )
But I'm happy to see you tried it....and I think the BSC should add to your enjoyment on the CIA 200's.... 8)

Chris

Double Ugly

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »
Not only did it resolve much better, but it also took the edge off and presented a much more "organic" sound. I'm paraphrasing a description I've heard Jim (Double Ugly) use.

Occasionally I manage to patch together a relatively accurate description.  :wink:

Seriously, congrats on getting the PC at what must've been a heck of a price, Nick.  I'm happy to know you're experiencing the same benefits I enjoyed for so long. 

Oh yeah...if you think you can hear differences now, just wait'll the Timepieces arrive.   :shock:

I can't figure out why I could have such improvement using it in the power supply  because that is connected via a 5 v umbilical to the SB 2. Makes no sense, not that I really care at this point.

Welcome to Jim's World, Nick.  It's a place where we enjoy whatever improves our systems without worrying about the "whys" and "hows", we just kick back, listen and get lost in the music.   :beer:

Take care, my friend.

-Jim

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:01:04 PM »
It must be.....voodoo......(just kidding...of course... ROFLMAO )
But I'm happy to see you tried it....and I think the BSC should add to your enjoyment on the CIA 200's.... Cool

Chris

Chris
I think you are correct.  :lol: BTW, I just ordered another "voodoo" cord.
 :D
Nick

Occasionally I manage to patch together a relatively accurate description.  Wink
Oh yeah...if you think you can hear differences now, just wait'll the Timepieces arrive.   Shocked
Welcome to Jim's World, Nick.  It's a place where we enjoy whatever improves our systems without worrying about the "whys" and "hows", we just kick back, listen and get lost in the music.   Beer Toast

Take care, my friend.

-Jim

Jim
Based on your posts and our chats, your audio judgment is very often on the mark.  :clap:
I haven't heard recently from Bob at SP Tech, but I am really drooling at the thought of the Timepieces  :drool:
It's good to "just enjoy". I'll let others figure out the "why", although I am curious.
If I ever get down your way, I'll be buying that Tex-Mex dinner and the accompanying beverages!!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:07:51 PM »
Anyone compare the Black Sand Statement One with VH Audio's Airsine? Would be interested in reading detailed impressions...
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
Anyone compare the Black Sand Statement One with VH Audio's Airsine? Would be interested in reading detailed impressions...

I believe George (zybar) did an A/B, but I can't swear to it. 

He doesn't come 'round here too often, though.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »
George (zybar) compared his Airsine with the Black Sand Silver Reference about a year ago on AudioCircle.   There are quite a few posts but this one is the start of the thread I believe....

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=28337

Not sure if anyone has done a followup on the Black Sand Statement One vs VH Audio AirSine.   

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
Good find, Mike.  :clap:  I even participated in George's thread, but didn't remember doing so until I read through it again.

Quote from: zybar
I found it to be on par or better than the VH AUdio AirSine at about half the price!   

I guess that about sums it up.  I knew he was/is using Silver Refs - and will be auditioning Statement Ones soon - but Mike's motivation to find the AC thread exceeded mine. 

Yeah, shocking, I know.  :wink:

As a long-time Silver Ref user, I can tell you the Statement One is enough better for me to have dipped into my bank account (deeply! :() to replace all my Silver Refs with Statement Ones. 

As for Statement One/AirSine follow-ups, if George's take on the Silver Ref/AirSine comparison is accurate (and having listened with George, I suspect it is), the Statement One should prove the better PC.  In fact, I'd say it's likely to be far superior, but not having compared them myself, I'll defer to future comments from George.

-Jim

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »
Thanks to the above posters for the thread - I'll check it out. Friendly folks here, much appreciated.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread posts.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »
Just received another SR MKV cord. More improvement......very, very nice.  :clap: :clap:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »
Today I received the 3rd, and final, BS SRMK V. I had been using 1 for my Aberdeen SB3 PS and the other for 1 of my CIA D200 monos. I wasn't expecting this much improvement with the 3rd cord, but that's what I got. More refinement, resolution and slam. Again, sounds very good currently and I have the latest Mundorf SP Tech 2.1's on the way and the new Grover IC as well. Have tried a few power cords over the last 10 years, but none have ever had this kind of impact.  :D/  Now if I could get an amp that would have a bit more lush, organic midrange than those D200's.....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Bigfish8

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »
Today, I rec'd a Black Sand Silver Reference MK V from an Agon seller for a really great price. The cord has little or no use. Put it on my Aberdeen SB 2 power supply and was hoping for, but not really expecting, a good improvement over the cheapie (but good for the money) Volex. I was absolutely amazed. I don't want to use a bunch of audiophile hyperbole, but the improvement just using it in the PS was stunning. Not only did it resolve much better, but it also took the edge off and presented a much more "organic" sound. I'm paraphrasing a description I've heard Jim (Double Ugly) use. This cord is so good that I've emailed the seller and asked for another 2 meter cord and asked if he has a 3rd available. Since I have CIA D200's, I'm hopeful that I'd have a similar improvement using these super cords. The other thought I had was getting the 3rd cord from www.lessloss.com over in Lithuania. But that's an additional couple of hundred $$ and I'm not sure I want to spend the money.
I can't figure out why I could have such improvement using it in the power supply  because that is connected via a 5 v umbilical to the SB 2. Makes no sense, not that I really care at this point. I'd be curious about some comments and maybe John at Black Sand could tell me why it would be so useful in this application. Mega thanks to John for a great product.
Nick

Nick:

I just purchased one Silver Black Sands Power Cord from Shane, The Home Theater Doctor.  I plan to connect it to to the modded Elpac for the S3.  Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks,

Ken

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »
Nick

Nick:

I just purchased one Silver Black Sands Power Cord from Shane, The Home Theater Doctor.  I plan to connect it to to the modded Elpac for the S3.  Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken
Short answer....yes. Start there. You can't go wrong with this cord. Never thought I'd spend this much cash for cords, but it was worth it. BTW, I sent you a PM a little while ago
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

jrebman

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 01:44:29 PM »
Ken,

Is that the Elpac you bought from me?  I didn't think it had an IEC, but a captive flat AC cord instead.  Did you have Wayne add an IEC, or am I just losing my marbles.

-- Jim

Bigfish8

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »
Ken,

Is that the Elpac you bought from me?  I didn't think it had an IEC, but a captive flat AC cord instead.  Did you have Wayne add an IEC, or am I just losing my marbles.

-- Jim

Jim:

I have to be honest and tell you I cannot remember.  I thought I had to plug the power cord into the Elpac but it has been a few weeks ago and you are probably correct.  Anyway, I will check it out this weekend when I get back home.  If it is a fixed power cord then I will have to use the Black Sands PC for the Candela. 

Based on PM feedback it has been suggested that these cords will benefit all of my gear but the biggest impact is when connected to the amps.  I may bite the bullet and call Shane to determine if he still has any of the Silver Cords. 

Thanks

Ken