Author Topic: cheap and cheerful  (Read 12647 times)

shep

cheap and cheerful
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=68&zenid=0o7vhn3dionm16

Help! I'm on the verge of giving in to an impulse  :shock:
Looks nice, supposed to sound nice and can you beat the price? Even the tubes supplied are said to be decent. Please dissuade me

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: cheap and cheerful
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
What speakers do you have that 4.5 watts would be driving?
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
Those guys aren't very far from me. I heard one once (don't recall the model) and it was decent but you are going to need one very efficient set of speakers to get anything out of them and even then I would have concerns.

shep

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
This has nothing to do with common sense; a. I was first considering the Miniwatt at 2.5 watts per
b. my speakers are not efficient. Just old fashioned lust and listening to too many people mooning over their glowing bottles. (not even for listening at moderate levels???) Mercy!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »
Too cheap! Tube amps require expensive parts. If the actual cost to manufacture these after profits and shipping is $20, then what's inside those transformer cans?  SS is king of value for commercial amplifiers under $1000.

As for the power rating 4.5W can make 85dB sensitive speaker with flat 8ohm impedance play to 91dB peak with zero headroom and max rated distortion, on a small Chinese tube amp built for price and appearance that's 3-5%. Do you think that 5% distortion and no dynamic headroom will give you chills up your spine? 

If you really want tubes on a budget, why not build your own? Something with known good design, using standard parts and common tubes that you can enjoy rolling, and with enough power to "almost" do the job ("almost" just like all tube amps.)
http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE.htm
I know a few people who have built this and are happy with it.

shep

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »
I knew I could count on Rich to dissuade :( me. But still...I believe the parts are not cheepie, but what do I know? Maybe they are all fake "names".

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »
Actually it looks pretty good, but you said you wanted to be dissuaded...   :lol:

What's the sensitivity of your speakers shep?

shep

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »
86db, simple crossover, TL design. Make any dif.? 5% distortion sounds like fun (at my age)! There's not much room in my head either so maybe this is a match made in heaven?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:45:26 PM by shep »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
86db.. haha.. That'll be fun for (very) low volume, maybe night-time listening.  I had 86db speakers and used a very nice 8 watt tube amp and it barely powered them enough to come alive.. but it was ok at low to moderate volume... maybe up to 80db.

Just send your $200 to me and I'll send you warm wishes.  You'll probably get more out of it. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
It wasn't until I replaced a 150w/ch Levinson with a McCormack DNA-500 500w/ch amp did my 86db efficient Aerial 10Ts come alive.   But a lot of people with high-efficiency speakers love their flea & bottle powered amps. 

shep

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
Alright already! I take the hint.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
Sorry to throw wet blanket on your tube fantasy shep. A nice little 40W integrated, maybe used, like Jolida or Prima Luna or something.

shep

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
You guys are the best. I'll remember you in my will. Just to get even, you'll have to dice for who gets the REAL DEAL ICE AMP! Well this is a progressive illness, and I did ask for the wet blanket treatment. So now is it alright to go back to hoping for a cable change? like who's listening to Grover's latest creation right now? especially the spkr wire. But still....................it sure was cute.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 05:17:51 AM »
Yea it's cute alright.
I now understand why the chorus of "AAaaahhhh's" when my family see's somebody giving away puppies at the grocery store. I just about did the same thing when I saw this. It's damn cute.

Bob

shep

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
Bob, you are a gentleman  :D