Author Topic: Rythmik / GR Research OB servo subs  (Read 17617 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Rythmik / GR Research OB servo subs
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
Two words come to mind after a few minutes hearing these play... "Endless Wonderfulness"
Gotta run.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
Nice words Carl. :) I have three of the GR/Rhythmik subs though they are sealed and not OB. I am delighted with them as well. Different from the OB to be sure but they are working well in my room. Congrats on the new setup. And yeah, lots 'o' knobs to twiddle to get it all tuned in.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »
YAY!! That's niiiiiice!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »
I'm in no position to review this system at the moment (had a really nice dinner w/ drinks) but man is it sounding good.  There is a little air still missing.. the bass is so rich it fills all the gaps.. I'm not sure if I'm tuning for how I like hearing it or how it should be.. but I like that I have that flexibility.  It's still seamless and infinitely enjoyable.  I can't believe how loud I can enjoy it now with the bottom end fully supported... ;)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »
You'll get more air and detail with exact phase adjustment, and to less extent (with OB) positioning. It is hard to hear the detail in low bass, you need a SPL meter to dial it in.

zybar

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
I'm in no position to review this system at the moment (had a really nice dinner w/ drinks) but man is it sounding good.  There is a little air still missing.. the bass is so rich it fills all the gaps.. I'm not sure if I'm tuning for how I like hearing it or how it should be.. but I like that I have that flexibility.  It's still seamless and infinitely enjoyable.  I can't believe how loud I can enjoy it now with the bottom end fully supported... ;)

Pretty cool the way that improving the bass improves the who presentation.

Any further thoughts?

George

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
I've got to get acoustic panels done and actual measurements made before I can tune them and review the whole system.  I'm also still getting used to listening in this new environment... and I don't get much ear time really.. Everyone wants to watch movies all the time.. which is fun too... but it's not serious listening.

So far though, I definitely like what they do and haven't noticed anything detrimental.  They are definitely easy to blend.  Right now I'm wondering if tuning and treatments will get me the 'you are there' bass detail I'm hoping for.  Otherwise, I can definitely hear a little more of the recording space in some recordings that I couldn't before.. It is neat how rounding out the bottom benefits the mids and highs so much.

Sorry I can't report more.. I just don't feel like I've really done enough to get the system in a position to analyze... It'll probably be another couple of weeks before I'm there.

-C

zybar

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
No worries Carl.

I probably missed this, but do you one or two drivers per sub?

Any pics?

Yes, I am a pushy SOB.   :rofl:

George

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
I need to take some photos of the room anyway.. I'll get some photos of the subs too.. Now that we have a working gallery, I have no excuse, right? ;)

Thanks for being pushy... keeps me moving! ;)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »
George, they have two drivers in each cabinet. The sides are slanted outward toward the bottom, while the front and rear are plumb, it makes for a nice aesthetic. The slanted vertical sides are veneered, the entire inside and top are painted black. The front opening has cloth velcroed to the cabinet edge. The rear is open. He did a really nice job. He put soft Velcro strips under the amps so they can lay down on table or floor without scratching. The amp output wiring was simplified to eliminate the extra wiring harness and extra plug normally required to connect two drivers to one amp (the extra $10 for two drivers.) The amps have a speaker wire permanently connected to the amp output, and on the other end of thick OFC cable is 4 pole Neutrik Speakons to connect to the speaker cabinets, twist and lock, really nice part. He was a professional speaker designer in previous life, and an accomplished woodworker.

A funny thing happened when I picked them up. He had a bad back, I think he said from carrying these subs around. He made little caster rolling platforms for them so he could move them around without lifting after his recent back surgery. So while he was telling me to be careful lifting them, I lifted it and started to walk. I stepped on the roller skate dolly and started to slide, trying to stay upright, while holding this 60 pound speaker. I got my foot off the roller skate and when I put it down the skate had rolled to the new spot, so off I went again. I was thinking this is just like an old popeye cartoon, and "I hope I don't end up on my face with this speaker carving a hole in this nice wood floor." Eventually I got control and walked out, but it was a close one. The second cabinet his friend helped me load.

zybar

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 03:35:50 AM »
George, they have two drivers in each cabinet. The sides are slanted outward toward the bottom, while the front and rear are plumb, it makes for a nice aesthetic. The slanted vertical sides are veneered, the entire inside and top are painted black. The front opening has cloth velcroed to the cabinet edge. The rear is open. He did a really nice job. He put soft Velcro strips under the amps so they can lay down on table or floor without scratching. The amp output wiring was simplified to eliminate the extra wiring harness and extra plug normally required to connect two drivers to one amp (the extra $10 for two drivers.) The amps have a speaker wire permanently connected to the amp output, and on the other end of thick OFC cable is 4 pole Neutrik Speakons to connect to the speaker cabinets, twist and lock, really nice part. He was a professional speaker designer in previous life, and an accomplished woodworker.

A funny thing happened when I picked them up. He had a bad back, I think he said from carrying these subs around. He made little caster rolling platforms for them so he could move them around without lifting after his recent back surgery. So while he was telling me to be careful lifting them, I lifted it and started to walk. I stepped on the roller skate dolly and started to slide, trying to stay upright, while holding this 60 pound speaker. I got my foot off the roller skate and when I put it down the skate had rolled to the new spot, so off I went again. I was thinking this is just like an old popeye cartoon, and "I hope I don't end up on my face with this speaker carving a hole in this nice wood floor." Eventually I got control and walked out, but it was a close one. The second cabinet his friend helped me load.

Thanks Rich.

What you described is exactly what I want to build.

George

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
After getting everything done in my room, including bass traps, acoustic panels, new tube in my DAC, etc.. I find I don't really need subs.  :shock: 

They add some thick, rich bass down deep which is nice but now that the room is really dialed-in it's not even close to as important as it was.  I wasn't getting good bass before but now that I am, these are barely on, just a touch of bottom-end goodness.  But I also find if I turn them off, I'm satisfied also... It's not enough to keep them.. So, these subs are for sale. And I'm sure they're going to find a lovely home.  I may even regret selling them because you will not find any bass this good for anywhere close to the price.

If anyone is interested in trying these subs, you can pick them up Friday.  I'm selling for $1,k for the pair.  They come with original receipts and such... and are as described in this thread.

Thanks,
Carl

zybar

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
After getting everything done in my room, including bass traps, acoustic panels, new tube in my DAC, etc.. I find I don't really need subs.  :shock: 

They add some thick, rich bass down deep which is nice but now that the room is really dialed-in it's not even close to as important as it was.  I wasn't getting good bass before but now that I am, these are barely on, just a touch of bottom-end goodness.  But I also find if I turn them off, I'm satisfied also... It's not enough to keep them.. So, these subs are for sale. And I'm sure they're going to find a lovely home.  I may even regret selling them because you will not find any bass this good for anywhere close to the price.

If anyone is interested in trying these subs, you can pick them up Friday.  I'm selling for $1,k for the pair.  They come with original receipts and such... and are as described in this thread.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl,

Could you ship them North?  How much to ship to 01746?

Can you send me pics?

I am very interested in buying them.

Thanks,

George

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
Shipping would be a lot.. they are around 65 lbs. per sub and around 20"+ tall and 15" wide and deep.. So, they'd have to be in 2 30"x 22" x 22" boxes... But the amps aren't bad.  I'd be willing to do it if I don't get a local sale... but I would think the shipping would add up.. and the hassle of shipping them would be large... as would potential damage... so, to ship will be $200 or so extra...

If I don't get any local offers, I'll take pics and work with you through PM's, George.

Thanks,
Carl

zybar

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 07:51:51 PM »
Ok Carl.

George