Author Topic: Running Springs Audio Jaco & Equi=tech 1.5Q  (Read 18505 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Running Springs Audio Jaco & Equi=tech 1.5Q
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:38:21 AM »
Thanks Paul!! I searched for Gordy's schmatic without luck before, but now it's bookmarked.  I'm ordering parts today, so good timing!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »
A little followup on the RSA Jaco and Equi=tech 1.5Q...   

Unfortunately, I was unable to pull together a last-minute G2G to help me with this decision, so I've been on my own for the last 2 weeks (tough life, I know... ;-)

As previously stated, they both perform extremely well in my system.  While there are slight differences in the sonic presentation between them, as the Jaco broke in, it definitely came into its own.  Both units improve my system on a number of fronts:

-- definition and transparent detail to die for
-- fast transient attack and glorious harmonic decay
-- tight and articulate bass punch that goes deep (best I've heard from my 10Ts)
-- and most importantly... a more musically engaging presentation

In all cases, I have to think that both of these conditioners are simply letting my equipment to do what it was designed to do.  And that they did well!

There were slight differences... I said earlier that it seemed that the Equitech was louder, but it may be that I just wanted to turn things up a bit more with the Jaco.  Where the Equitech seemed to excel is with a high degree of realism in a big and open soundstage.  Voices and instruments floated in a space beyond, above and in front of the boundaries of the speakers.  Put on some Little Feat, and the next thing you know, you're dancing on the couch.

The Jaco, on the other hand, seems to offer a bit more of a refined and intimate soundstage that draws me into the music in a very compelling way.  For example, I've heard Patricia Barber perform at The Green Mill in Chicago numerous times. It's a small, intimate setting (once the hangout of Al Capone) with wonderful acoustics. With the XRCD version of her live "Companion" album which was recorded at The Green Mill, I felt I was there again.  The bar, the audience, and, of course, the musicians were all right there in my living room.  On the best recordings, it can be magical.

All things being equal, well, they're pretty equal.  Both units clearly demonstrate the benefit of today's well designed power conditioners.  And while I stated the differences I thought I heard, I suspect I exaggerated for effect and would likely not be able to consistently tell them apart if blindfolded.  The only hesitation I have with the Equitech is that the slight transformer hum might ultimately become an annoyance. It really didn't during the last two weeks, but anything that adds to our daily background noise in life is a minor concern of mine (isn't it amazing just how quiet things get when the power goes off occasionally?).

So with that said, I'm going with the Jaco.  Thanks to Carl, Rich and Shane for giving me the opportunity to listen to both at the same time.  I do love this stuff!

Bigfish8

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
Mike:

Thank you for the great review.  Once I complete room treatments a power conditioner is the next must for my system.  I have heard great comments about both of the conditioners you evaluated.  It sounds like the change in sound from your system is very dramatic.

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »
Awesome! Congrats on your decision, and your new toy, Mike!!  I thought your review of the Equitech matched my own impressions.   I hope you'll have a raincheck g2g sometime.
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 05:11:40 AM »

...  It sounds like the change in sound from your system is very dramatic.

Ken

Well, that's the problem with reviews, isn't it.   How to describe what something sounds like without getting carried away.   Yup, the improvement was dramatic, in a minimalist sorta way.   :lol:

To put it in context, one explanation I've heard that makes sense... think about those nights when your system sounded better than it ever has -- a good power conditioner can help get you there all the time.     

But, what I want most is something that will protect my equipment in the event of power problems without negatively affecting the sound.   In those terms, I'm way ahead of the curve since there is a consistent improvement in sound quality comparable to if not better than the orig Shunyata Hydra that I'd been using (which does not have any power line protection).

Rich, I haven't given up at all on having a G2G here... just need to get it scheduled... stay tuned.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:50 AM »
To put it in context, one explanation I've heard that makes sense... think about those nights when your system sounded better than it ever has -- a good power conditioner can help get you there all the time.     

What a great analogy!  I think a lot of people understand that kind of change and is a good way to state how (good) power conditioning works...

Glad the conditioner showdown was an overall eye-opening and positive experience, Mike.  Anytime it's possible to help an audiophriend I'm happy to help.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.