Author Topic: Running Springs Audio Jaco & Equi=tech 1.5Q  (Read 18499 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Running Springs Audio Jaco & Equi=tech 1.5Q
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:29:29 AM »
I've owned an original Shunyata Hydra for quite some time and have been quite pleased with it.  But, I also live in an older section of Durham where brown-outs and power fluctuations are pretty routine.  Since the orig Hydra has no built-in protection, I started looking at what's on the market. Certainly the new Hydra 8 is an option, albeit a fairly pricey one given the recent Mk II release.  Two others vendors that seem to stand out are Equi=tech and Running Springs Audio. 

Fortunately for me, both the Equi=tech 1.5Q and the Running Springs Audio Jaco are currently sitting in my living room.  Thank you, Carl for the loan of the Equi=tech (and sorry, Rich, for prying it away from you).  And much thanks to Shane and Dan Babineau @ RSA for the Jaco which is a CES demo unit with the new 'Elite' designation with RSA's latest platinum foil caps upgrade.

Before I go into any details, a bit of background on my system.  My McCormack DNA-500 likes power and I want to make sure I avoid any conditioners that might be accused of current limiting. I do have a separate 20a circuit just for audio. Other components in my system include:

-- Maui modded Tact 2.0s pre with both ADC and DAC boards
-- Logitech Duet
-- Oracle CD transport
-- EE Minimax Phono Pre
-- Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S
-- orig Shunyata Hydra w/Airsine PC
-- Black Sand PCs
-- Grover ICs
-- JPS SC+ biwire speaker cables
-- Aerial 10T speakers

First up, the Equi=tech 1.5Q.  Rich pretty much said all there is to say about this unit here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1126.0

... and all I can do is echo what he said.  But... my experience started off a bit shaky.   I plugged it in, plugged all my gear into it, then flipped the power switch on.  It tried to come on, but then immediately popped the circuit breaker.  Hmmm. I tried it again without anything plugged into it.  Same thing. I finally resorted to leaving it plugged in and on and then reseting the circuit breaker. Surprisingly, that worked and it has worked fine ever since.  Perhaps a weak circuit breaker or maybe my outlet needs tightening down.  But I'm certain that the Equi=tech does put a large initial draw on the line. Rich did report a hum from the Equi=tech and I have to say the same is true for me.  It's low level and not noticeable when music is playing. But, I am aware of it when in the same room if there is no other background noise or music playing.

I will say the impact of the Equi=tech was immediate and positive. I had been listening to Jane Monheit's latest album which is excellent if you like the whole jazz chantuese thing (I'm a sucker for it).  After inserting the Equi=tech, it seemed that Jane went from seated to standing and took a step forward.  Base seemed to tighten up and everything seemed more open, dynamic and eerily louder. I don't have a sound meter but am very curious to know if it does affect volume or is it just my perception.

Next up - the RSA Jaco.  After plugging in all equipment to the Jaco (no circuit tripped this time), Jane Monheit decided to sit back down. Still, she was singing from a very black background with sumptuous tonal quality and detail and a very musically engaging presentation.  Of course, the Jaco is a relatively new unit and more breakin was likely required, so jump forward a few days...

Without doubt, the Jaco did improve over the course of 3 days of continuous play (or perhaps my ears became more aware). I hear nothing that would indicate the Jaco is constraining anything.  Everything about it takes the music to another level over just plugging in to the wall.  Even compared to the Hydra, the Jaco seems more neutral with musical details and sound staging exposed that, in comparison, seem to get a bit glossed over with the Hydra.  But, I find the musical presentation with the Jaco a bit different than the Equi=tech.  Perhaps a bit of the yin-yang thing going on.  Where the Jaco offers perhaps a more relaxed yet musically engaging presentation, the Equi=tech seems to beef things up a bit more.  The sound stage seems a bit bigger and I kept thinking I needed to turn down the volume a bit when using the Equi=tech to get a fair comparison. 

Which provides a more neutral presentation?  Dunno... but that's my take after just a few days of listening.  Right now, both of these meet all my needs and I'd be happy with either.  The whole discussion about whether balanced power is a bad idea in the home is something I should dig into a bit further and the Equi=tech hum might ultimately drive me a bit nuts, but no doubt, further listening will reveal a personal preference. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Running Springs Audio Jaco & Equi=tech 1.5Q
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:44:59 AM »
Great review so far Mike! I lve your writing style and great information.

I wonder what would happen if you try plugging the Jaco into the Equitech?  :drool:

I'm on battery now, so I wasn't using the Q anyway.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:51:38 AM »
Mike,
Glad you're finding the same benefits Rich and I have.  I have only compared the Equi=Tech to the Haley.  The Haley was fine for source gear but not on amps.  The Jaco must be a good bit larger.  Size matters on conditioning. ;)

BTW, I just sent an email to Equi=Tech to find out if the humming is normal.

Looking forward to your analysis! :)

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:53:27 AM »
I wonder what would happen if you try plugging the Jaco into the Equitech?  :drool:

Hah, I actually tried a combination by moving the amp to the Equi=tech and left the rest on the Jaco just to see if I could tell if the Jaco was constraining the amp in any way.  To be honest, I didn't hear much of a difference but then again, didn't give it that much time.  The last thing I want to discover is that the two together are far better than either one... I can only stimulate the economy so far...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »
The last thing I want to discover is that the two together are far better than either one...

Exactly - Don't do it Mike!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:57:58 AM »
One thought- Would plugging the ET into the Jaco remove the possibility of DC-offset on the line?  If so, you can know for sure if that's the cause of the hum.  (just a thought, don't know if the Jaco fixes dc-offset)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »
I had a similar experience to yours when I compared a Haley to an Audio Magic conditioner. Different system, but I also use a Maui modded Tact 2.2x (and 2150) and Black Sand PCs. The AM was more 'energetic' with a wider and taller stage, and more forward, with the details more prominent and obvious. The Haley was more 'intimate' and smoother with a more relaxed presentation. I was torn, but ultimately went with the Haley. I plug everything into it (except my battery'd Red Wine Olive) and feed it with a Fusion Enchanter.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Gents if I may.....

I have yet to come across an Equi=Tech piece that didn't hum as all transformers have some level of mechanical hum and Equi=Tech uses some big ass transformers! The norm however is that you have to dam near have your ear on the unit to hear it. I have had units that were louder then others but that does not indicate any type of problem. The 5RQ as one example has a nice little hum to it but given the size of the transformer in the 5RQ, a slight hum is to be expected when you are dealing with a transformer that is coming in at over 150 pounds.

When the hum gets louder then that it could in fact be a problem with the unit, but it's highly unlikely as in all honesty, Equi=Tech stuff doesn't seem to break. I have been the Canadian Distributor for close to two years and in that time I have NEVER had a unit back for repair!

Now getting back to the hum, it could be a variety of things from DC on the line to a host of other things but unless the hum in question is a distraction, I would ignore it. If the hum is present from house to house, the transformer in this particular unit just happens to be one of the ones that is on the loud side but I can almost guarantee you that there is nothing wrong with it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:00:02 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
One thought- Would plugging the ET into the Jaco remove the possibility of DC-offset on the line?  If so, you can know for sure if that's the cause of the hum.  (just a thought, don't know if the Jaco fixes dc-offset)

Only if the Jaco has the ability to correct DC-offset and I doubt it does but it wont hurt anything to try it.

You could also power the Jaco with the Equi=Tech if you wanted to really play as it would power it without any problems and would have headroom for whatever else you wanted to throw at it.

I tried this a long time ago just for shits and giggles and no matter what I chucked at the Equi=Tech (1.5RQ) I could not get it to fail. I had a PS Audio Premier plugged into it along with a Running Springs Audio Haley and a half dozen or so other components and it powered them all without fail.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
FWIW, the Equitech hum is there regardless of where it's plugged in.  I tried running it from the dedicated circuit, from a different circuit, via the Hydra and via the Jaco.  John's description fits the bill.   That transformer is going to hum.   It's totally not noticable while music is playing, but can be heard while in the same room if there's not background noise and you're listening for it.   

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »
We should try a DC blocker on it. mgalusha or pmkap, does felicia block DC? I have parts from Brad's group buy but not built any yet.  :duh

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:35:28 AM »
I think I have to chime in with John... transformers hum and the Equitech has a mother of a transformer in it.   I think it's just the nature of the beast and likely what contributes to make the Equitech so damn effective (the transformer, not the hum ;-)

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »
We should try a DC blocker on it. mgalusha or pmkap, does felicia block DC? I have parts from Brad's group buy but not built any yet.  :duh

Rich, I think you are thinking of the Felix which is was Brad did the group buy on. No, it doesn't block DC and in fact the CMC in the Felix can hum if there is too much DC on the line. The Equi-tech will block DC since it's a transformer but like any big transformer it can mechanically hum even without DC but of course more with some.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
I see, thanks Mike. I was thinking that trafo hum was always caused by DC, but of course, there is a LOT of mechanical energy in there too. I think a form fitting custom box lined with some 1" insulation would silence it pretty well.

pmkap

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:07:01 AM »
Rich,

Yes, a Felicia will block dc via its transformers, but as its limited to about 35watts output, you're limited to using it to blocking dc for a single source component. Besides, all the cool folks are doing that Felix thang.
As Mike has said, its important to distinguish between hum resulting from magnetorestrictive issues (electromagnets physically vibrating) and dc offsets on the line causing asymettrical saturation. The later can be verified with a multimeter of sufficient capabilities like a Fluke.
PS Audio has re-released their Humbuster, and Channel Islands has a similar product. If you're into diy, one can build the Brystron circuit for <$10; all it take is a diode bridge, 30A 400v (to eliminate 2 diode drops of dc) and 2 electrolytic capacitors 6800uf 16v -
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=51459.msg461059;topicseen#msg461059

Using a big honking bridge allows you to bolt the blocker to the chassis and mount the caps directly on the bridge, so you don't need any circuit boards.

Regards,
Paul